No announcement yet.

Fastest 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an 82 XJ with under 10K miles on it last year and I got a 78 XS E with 14K miles on it this year. Both in top shape mechanically. Between the two I can tell a big difference. The 78 is faster, hands down. BUT....the XJ had a windshield and the XS doesn't MOPE JAT
    My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

what are the part numbers for the e advance? are they different than the f?
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

The "E" is 2H7-81653-10-00, the "F" is 2H7-81653-11-00. So yes, they ARE different numbers. I believe the '78 has 5 degree MORE total advance than the '79.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, are they interchangable? As in will either one run either machine?
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Yes, they ARE interchangeable. And you DO notice when you go from a '79 to a '78!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

78 & 79

I have both a 78e and 79f and also had 79 special. The 78E is definitely fastest of the three although I have not raced the 78 and 79. My 79 has only 3000 miles on it so I am still breaking it in!!
              78 XS1100E Standard
              Coca Cola Red
              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

ah but is the 5*'s enough to keep up with a 79 with kerker, pods, and rejetting...
                i must get me one of the 78 advance units!!!
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

the 78 xs1100 had bigger main jets in the carbs, the fastest model year is 78 another reason there is a difference in fuel economy within the years

Comment

Haven ridden all years of XS11's when new and later on when servicing them, I don't think the 78 model is faster than the 79. The 80 had a whole different power curve. I can see how the 16" rear would help launch the bike in the drags but you have to remember that drag racing is far from the real world.

BTW, didn't Peewee Gleason retire after 1978? I know that Cycle World used his expertise and tiny size (he weighed under 100 pounds) to help get those low ETs for publication. They weren't lies but close too it.

One more thing. Humidity and air temp can effect drag times. So on a good day everybody is faster...

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I'm not sure about the 79 model year never riden one before but I own a 78 my dad owns a 80 and he has since new the 78 will out pull the 80 and it's not rider error the bike just has more power.
                      Last edited by millernz123; 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

i doubt a rejetted 79 with performance mods is slower than a stock 78. i don't think the 5* will make that much difference.

79 xs11 standard
                        8mm msd wires
                        tkat fork brace...
                        Fox shocks...
                        mikes650 front fender
                        led's gallore...
                        renthal bars
                        gold valve emulators
                        vmax tensioner
                        Rifle fairing

Comment

The different head and cams of the 80 and later XS11 gave a good middle rage punch with a big loss in top end. I rode an 80 for a few years and my 79 is a much quicker bike over all. However I think the 80 was probably a better tourer. All in all, I'll keep my 79 the way it is...

Tony

Originally posted by millernz123 View Post
                          I'm not sure about the 79 model year never riden one before but I own a 78 my dad owns a 80 and he has since new the 78 will out pull the 80 and it's not rider error the bike just has more power.
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I don't think anyone said that a stock 78E was going to be faster than a 79 with rejetted carbs and a kerker header. But I would agree if going on a long hall the 80 xs1100 seat is far more comfortable than the 78

Comment

Working...
                            X