Fastest 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest 1100

I was having a discussion with my Father about which XS or XJ was the fastest built. I told him if anyone would know it would be this group.
    Before he started riding 1300 Ventures he owned 2 XS 1100's One was a 79 but we can't be sure of the model. The other was a 81 1100 midnight. I myself have an 82 XJ. I haven't yet had the pleasure of twisting the throttle that far. Only took a short ride to make sure the gears were ok.
    I'm just wondering which one had the most H/P or which one was actually the fastest built.
    Thanks
    Rob
    Rob
    82 XJ1100
    Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
    Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

I remember a thread a while back that mentioned that the '78 XS was the fastest. It had something to do with the gear ratios, IIRC. After that year, the government required some changes that killed the speed a bit.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Everything I have read indicates the 78 like Catatonic stated. IIRC all of these bikes had the same gears, but the 78 had different cams and a valves than the later models. Others here know the exact details much better than I do. The 78 of course was a standard (no special available that model year) and the standard has a larger rear wheel at 17" diam. so more distance per rev than the special models.

Honestly, I doubt there are many around who will feel the difference or push one enough to see the difference. JMHO (Yes Tod, I know there are exceptions to that )
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Close, the 78 and 79 standards had the same cams. The only difference between the 78 and 79 was timing and the size of the starter jet in the float bowls.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The '78 is the 'quickest' winner, hands down. It was the first mass-produced bike capable of turning sub-12 second quartermile times (a fact Yamaha used in their advertising; '...the XS11 will do 11's...'), managing a 11.79 in 'Cycle World's road test, although they did smoke the clutch by the time they were done at the strip. The quickest any of the later models could manage was very low 12s. I was told by a Yamaha dealer at the time that besides the tune, the '78 had a slightly better exhaust system (larger I.D. and a larger crossover). Whether that is true or not, I can't say.

Fastest? Well, I saw 140 indicated on mine (just once!) and it still wasn't done pulling, but I was running out of road..... and nerve.

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Mine used to hit a wall at about 130.After I added a few mods it keeps climbing.My tires are only rated to 130.So I get a little nervous.I also made a promise to my tw(trophy wife)that I won't splat.Seems she still wants me around.Poor misguided girl.I don't know top speed but it hits 140 fast and is still climbing.Also Oregon puts you in jail if you get clocked at over 100 mph.Seeders beware! Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Yamaha parts catalog shows all the same numbers for 78 and 79 exhaust. The carbs are jetted the same (off the choke), same heads, same pistons, same cams, same gear ratio, same size tire, etc, etc. The only difference that I can think of between 78 and 79 is the timing advance. Speaking of, if anyone is interested, I have a '78 advance I am planning on selling soon.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

So does the 17" wheel make any difference as far as acceleration over the 16"?
                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Hey 81xs

You interest me with your 78 advance.I assume you are referring to ignition timing.Why can't I just advance the timing on my 80.Why do I need a 1978 unit?Sorry if this is a rookie question. Terry
                  Last edited by tw1980; 05-27-2009, 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
                  1980 special (Phyllis)
                  1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the '79 F would do the 1/4 in 12.12, and the SF would do it in 11.95 the difference in rear wheel size as I understand it gives the special a quicker take off, but limits it on top end. I'm sure somebody will know the specs for certain, I'm basing my postulations on faded memory, I should go to the spec pages and see if it's there. have a nice day and ride safe
                    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

"So does the 17" wheel make any difference as far as acceleration over the 16"

Yes, the taller wheel will slow acceleration a bit, but increase top end slightly, if you have enough power to pull it there.
                      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

went back and re read one of the cycle world articles here on the website, said that the E ran an 11.82 @115 mph, the F was 12.06, and the SF was 11.93. not really a significant difference between the 16" and the 17", about a tenth of a second, but the special was also 15 lbs lighter, so draw your own conclusions, is it the smaller rear wheel, or the 15 lbs, likely both, but the E I do believe is the speediest of the bunch. have a nice day and ride safe
                        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

The wheel size difference is pure math.

As for the weight difference: Same rider? Same amount of gas? etc etc.

You can't go strictly by dry weight.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The E model had a different advance curve, as Jesse stated. I was running an "E" advance on my '79, and it DID make a little bit of a difference. Hard to tell, but I was riding the same roads every day to work. The bike seemed to change just slightly, and I had a little more grunt on one or two hills.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

here,s something

I had a bearing dieing in my centre gear box,
                              have a spare in the shed,thru it in and now 100klm is 3500rpm whereas before 100 was 4000 so there must be variables in there to. not sure what model the new gears were out of though
                              never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
                              can fly

1981 rh 5N5
                              MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
                              1188cc
                              4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
                              as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
                              http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
                              http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

Working...
                              X