No announcement yet.

2003 Tahoe crank no start HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother had a Dakota that the fuel pump wnet out on as well. As I understand it, the motor int he pump gets a bad spot in the windings that won't generate the magnetic field to run the pump. So, hitting it jars the motor enough it turns just enough to get past that bad spot in the windings. Thus the motor now turns and once turning it will "flywheel" over that spot until the next time it lands on it when it shuts down.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

The truth...

65oldsboy - "Advance Auto Parts has an aftermarket pump for about $275. Can that possibly be more of a POS than the original GM fuel pump?

Look on the box the new aftermarket comes in... if it says "Made in China", you can bet on it! Sad thing is, if you check an AC Delco or "Genuine GM part box, it probably will say the same thing...

Magnum440 - I don't know why this works, but I've tried it before and it worked for me. If it quits working again, try hitting the bottum of the tank with a rubber mallet.

This is true! And I've found it also works on starters, as long as someone turns the key to start while you smack the starter.
      Regards,
      Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Brought it home tonight. Seemed to be running fine. I put the fuel pressure gauge on it.....43 psi. The spec is 48-52psi.
        79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
        79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
        79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread with suggestions and tips. I could have posted in a Chevy forum but you guys are more helpful than any forum I have ever been on. With the Tahoe on ice, I have been driving my '65 Cutlass every day because I'm afraid the fuel pump will totally die on me. I do need to pick up some lumber in it this weekend. The way my luck has been running, the truck will die on me on the way home from the lumber yard... By the way, if anybody needs any GM parts, gmpartsdirect.com is a good, cheap source for them. The genuine GM fuel pump cost me $267.33 including shipping. Hopefully it will be sitting on my front porch when I get home.
          79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box

Comment

Curious now...

Originally posted by 65oldsboy View Post
            I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread with suggestions and tips. I could have posted in a Chevy forum but you guys are more helpful than any forum I have ever been on. With the Tahoe on ice, I have been driving my '65 Cutlass every day because I'm afraid the fuel pump will totally die on me. I do need to pick up some lumber in it this weekend. The way my luck has been running, the truck will die on me on the way home from the lumber yard... By the way, if anybody needs any GM parts, gmpartsdirect.com is a good, cheap source for them. The genuine GM fuel pump cost me $267.33 including shipping. Hopefully it will be sitting on my front porch when I get home.
            Just for grins, I'd love to know where your GM pump says it's made...
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
              Just for grins, I'd love to know where your GM pump says it's made...
              Hecho en Mexico.

Comment

Working...
              X