2003 Tahoe crank no start HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Tahoe crank no start HELP!!!

I have owned an '03 Chevy Tahoe for about 2 years. Never had a problen until a few weeks ago when the a/c blower motor would just run on high and not on positions 1-4. Easy fix: It must be the resistor. I checked it wth a test light and confirmed my diagnosis. Put in a new resistor today and the a/c works fine buuuuut now the truck won't start!!!???? There should be absolutely no correlation between the blower motor resistor and no fuel pressure. I don't get it. Cranks fine but now no fuel pressure at all. Replaced fuel pump relay and all fuses in the fuel pump circuit. I can't get to the connector at the fuel pump without dropping the gas tank. Too much of a PITA without a lift. It figures that I just filled her up. I have a subscription to Alldata but I don't have the $5000 scan tool I am expected to use. Anybody got any suggestions before I call in the tow truck?
    Last edited by 65oldsboy; 05-17-2009, 08:31 PM.
    79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
    79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
    79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

The a/c switch was a recall item, it was a connector that would short across. It only took about 45 minutes for the dealership to fix it for free.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

The a/c switch? The one on the dash? That seems to work fine.
      79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box

Comment

I just checked Alldata. No recalls on the a/c switch.

I forgot to say there were no codes in the computer.
        Last edited by 65oldsboy; 05-17-2009, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I meant the blower, sorry, been awhile. It was a connector under the dash that went to the fan motor. It's located on the passenger side just to the left of the fan motor. Mine started by losing fan speed 5, then 4 and 3, had to get my helper to kick it every once in awhile to get it to work. Then found out it was recalled and had it fixed. It was a 2003 Silverado.
          http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

The a/c is working fine now. I just can't start the truck because there is no fuel pressure. I'm just not sure how the repair on the a/c could relate to the fuel pump not working...unless cycling the ignition (it energizes the fuel pump) on and off 6-8 times blew out the fuel pump. If that is the case, then the fuel pump was ready to die anyway. I'm going to give it one final crack tonight. If I can't get it started, I will throw in the towel and admit defeat. If I had a lift in my garage, I'm sure I would be able to do it myself. It just bugs me that I think I am able to fix it but just do not have all of the tools/equipment to do so.

Comment

key

Does your truck have a transponder anti-theft system? If so, it may have somehow lost the key codes and needs reprogramming. Also check the fuses sometimes the manufactures tie accessories into other systems to save manufacturing cost.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

No anti-theft system. I have replaced all fuses in the circuit (from the wiring diagram) and replaced the fuel pump relay.

Comment

A shot in the dark, but have you tried clearing the computer? There is one CPU fuse in the panel, don't know if it's under the hood or inside on the Tahoe. Disconnecting the battery and then pulling the CPU fuse will clear any stored codes and possible hang-ups in the CPU. JAT, and easy to do.

Comment

I have a cheap scan tool. There are no current or history codes in the computer.

Comment

i don't know the capabilities of a 'cheap' scan tool, but i do know that the fuse trick completely clears the codes.

Comment

Originally posted by 65oldsboy View Post
                        No anti-theft system. I have replaced all fuses in the circuit (from the wiring diagram) and replaced the fuel pump relay.
                        My 2003 Malibu just had the fuel pump go out and it acted like you describe. One minute it worked, then next no fuel pressure at all.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                          i don't know the capabilities of a 'cheap' scan tool, but i do know that the fuse trick completely clears the codes.
                          It's worth a shot at it. It won't take more than a few minutes. Thanks for the tip.

THe cheap scan tool reads and clears codes and gives a little bit of streaming data like sensor readings and such. Nothing like the big dollar machines in professional repair shops but it has helped me before.

Comment

BTW, there is an intermediate scan tool available from scantool.net. I have it on my laptop, works for any OBDII system and a few other systems are available. Gives me something like 75 different readings in real time. Last time I used it it saved me a few hundred (including shop diagnostic time) on an O2 sensor, the scantool told me my trouble was the downstream sensor.

The scantool interface cost less than $150, software is free.

Comment

Relay

Did you try another relay? May have a bad set of contacts. Also may want to see if circuit to pump is drawing any current. How about grounding??
                              78 XS1100E Standard
                              Coca Cola Red
                              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X