Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for the intellectuals among us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the intellectuals among us...

This is about as far off topic as it could get, but I've just watched a local news interview with the Rev Johhny Lee Clary, a former Klan leader that found god. He's in New Zealand to advise the local police on how to deal with a group of klansmen trying to set up shop here in NZ. We have our own particular race problems here and the last thing we need is the klan. The interviewer on the telly asked him why he left the klan and joined the church. He wouldn't answer directly, he simply stated that it was between him and god. Now I'm not a racist, It's not in my Scottish ancestry (drinking and fighting is, but not racism), and i'm not deeply religious (a scottish heathen) but after watching some video footage, and doing a little web research of a man who was so overtly and deeply committed to his cause I'm left to wonder and be a little suspicious of his motives. To satisfy my synical curiosity and suspicious nature, does anyone know anything about this character and why he left the klan?
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Ok, forget that, Iv'e done some more reading.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

OK...so you gonna spare the more curious natured of us from doing our own research?
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Turns out he's got his own website http://www.johnnyleeclary.com/files/page.php?p=2 (i missed it the first time) and a whole bunch of U tube vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy36PFZzSpw that tell his story. It all sounds a little corny and convenient to me but at least it answers my questions.

I've always been a little sus of the born again brigade as often it appears to be way of hiding from a dodgy past. But then again I've been called synical before and will be again.

Comment

I've never attended a protest rally in my life but if there were one against the Klan, I'd share a carton of eggs with the black folks.

Don
          currently own;
          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

IMHO, a lot of the "born again" are still in the brainwash stage. They can be VERY pushy, and get "exited" if you don't see things EXACTLY the way they do. I try to avoid them for a few months, until they start thinking once again. That's not to say I'm a total heathen, I just believe in moderation, and think everyone has their own way of communicating with their god.
            As far as the KLAN, I'll be next to Don, with a FLAT of eggs!!
            Last edited by DiverRay; 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Not to change the tone, but this whole thing just reminded me of the Dave Chappel skit where he played a role as a Klan leader that was blind and obviously black.
              '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
              '86 VF500F
              '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Comment

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
                Not to change the tone, but this whole thing just reminded me of the Dave Chappel skit where he played a role as a Klan leader that was blind and obviously black.
                Oh God, that skit was freaking HILARIOUS!!!!

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

For some reason this reminded me of the mormon missionaries that show up around here in the summer time. They're just kids - 20 or 21 years old tops. I opened my door one day and here's this kid just out of diapers telling me all about God. I asked him what he had ever done where he had to rely on God. He gave me kind of a blank look, and I told him to go jump out of a few airplanes while they're flying, and then come back and tell me all about God. I've had many a religious experience there - as in 'oh god oh god oh god!' Evidently he was listening .

I think the klan is dispicable, but I also think they're indicative of a lot of groups these days - everybody seems to have their nose in everybody else's business. I think we'd all be in a lot better shape if we paid attention to our own houses instead of tearing down everyone else's. That being said, save a few eggs for me .
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I've had many a religious experience there - as in 'oh god oh god oh god!'
                    Ummm... Errrr... Uhhh...

Ya know.. this rarely happens, but I think for this one time.. I'm just gonna have to leave this one alone due to the family friendly atmosphere here... lol!

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                      'oh god oh god oh god!'
                      Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      family friendly atmosphere here...

doesn't one... lead to the other?
                      81 SH Something Special
                      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

lol That's not what I meant. You two must have done vaudeville in a previous life.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

missionaries

Hey there, former mormon missionary speaking here. Near death isn't usually a requirement to form a relationship with god. I spent two years in Mexico City from age 19-21 as a missionary, and I am glad I was able to help others improve the spiritual situations they found themselves in. I didn't do anything special other than teach and befriend those in need, but it always amazes me how quick we are to shoot the messanger if we disagree with the message.
                          Casey
                          1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
                          "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

Not trying to ruffle any feathers. My ex brother-in-law was a mormon, and I've had a lot of exposure to mormonism. Course now he's got ten kids and an ex-wife. And as far as shooting the messenger, many of your brothers don't react any better when their beliefs are questioned. I just find it extremely arrogant when a kid knocks on my door and just assumes he's got the right answers with his vast years of experience - and I don't. If you knock on my door then be prepared to have the discussion on my terms is all I'm saying. I've seen a lot of good and bad things come out of a LOT of organized religions. That being said, have a good Family Home Evening, and if this post gets under your skin (which it is NOT intended to do) please remember that forgiveness thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                              doesn't one... lead to the other?
                              Originally posted by cloerts View Post
                              missionary ........ able to help others improve the spiritual situations they found themselves in
                              Ummmm.......ok...........I learned from the Bob Jones Memorial thread...turning the other cheek now.
                              Last edited by DGXSER; 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X