checking middle drive oil with no dip stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checking middle drive oil with no dip stick

Hey, how does a person check the middle drive oil if you don't have a dip or miss placed it. Have anybody used royal purple oil? I just put ams oil 20W40 oil in my 78 xs 1100 and it seems to be treating well. thanks for help

To check middle and final drive oil, I used a piece of paper and measured from the top of the oil line in the paper to the top of the drive just like the dipstick would. There is a tech tip on making the dipstick, it gives the dimensions from the top of the drive to the fluid level.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

If in doubt.. filler'up. Any XS will get blown out of the vent.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        If in doubt.. filler'up. Any XS will get blown out of the vent.

Tod
        +1 on that..its better to have way more than you need than to have too little...if the middle or final drive goes dry while you are running down the road...it could be a catastrophic failure and lock up on you...thus sending you to some impending doom...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by yamaphil View Post
          Hey, how does a person check the middle drive oil if you don't have a dip or miss placed it. Have anybody used royal purple oil? I just put ams oil 20W40 oil in my 78 xs 1100 and it seems to be treating well. thanks for help
          I used the tech tip to cut a new dipstick out of lexan, and I keep it in the toolbox under the seat. I believe you can still get them from Yamaha too, for under $10. Did you mean to say that you put 20W40 in the Middle drive?? I hope not. You need actual gear oil (most use synthetic here). I have read mixed reviews on the purple stuff, so I just go with normal stuff.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

20w40 in the engine, not the middle drive. I used 10w40 last year and I found that my bike was running a lillte hot, and the heavier oil its seems to a lil cooler and a lil better on gas. thanks for you advice

Comment

Just drain it all out, put in the measured amount.

Then watch ebay for a dipstick for the next time you want to check it.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Bike Bandit used to have dip sticks for about $3.50. Don't know if they still do.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Bike Bandit still lists them under;

SIDE COVER - TOOL

For a 1981(and maybe the others) the part number is 22811-001 $6.80

#46:
                  GAUGE,OIL LEVEL
                  (FOR MIDDLE AND FINAL GEAR CASE) [GAUGE,OIL LEVEL]

Comment

I'm using 20-50w Vavoline in motor, Royal Purple in middle drive and final drive. Did notice that wine from drives is almost non-existant.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

yeah, I just found out that they sold royal purple in NAPA my city and I was wondering how well it works. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Tod and I do the same method. If you fill the middle drive and final drive with the bike on the side stand, it doesn't overfill it too much. a bit of seepage and in a couple of days the car wash will take it off.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I just printed out the dipstick from here and then just used a popsickle stick (same length) and marked it off.

My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Hey, mstic2000, took a look at your photos. What's that you have going on with the rear brake? Looks like an interesting mod, care to share it with us?

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                              Hey, mstic2000, took a look at your photos. What's that you have going on with the rear brake? Looks like an interesting mod, care to share it with us?
                              PO installed a 1986 GSXR1100 rear brake caliper. Little bit better rear brake than the original. I still have the original I might switch back if I decide to go back to completely stock.

Last edited by mstic2000; 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM.
                              My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X