Here's where I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's where I am

The Hot Rod is on the road for the season.

The 79 SF restoration is 80%

The rebuilding of a new bottom end for the Hot Rod.

Lots to keep me busy. Rick
    Last edited by Ken Talbot; 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM.
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

looking good

I like your style! And more importantly understand the amount of work that goes into it.
    "Shop"
    Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tbishop11 View Post
      I like your style! And more importantly understand the amount of work that goes into it.
      Hi Shop,
      yeah, looks good. But the snivelling sissy left the bikes' rear ends still with their springs on. What a wimp! Or perhaps he might actually want to ride the things?
      And yeah, I did check your blogspot. Like the man said, "I never saw a worse thing better done."
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

What just happened? I'm confused

I'm not quite sure who you are trying to bad mouth, or if you are at all, everybody has a style, and there isn't one that everybody can agree on. You are very correct on that one. If offense was meant none was taken, however I understand the amount of work that goes into any project and I respect it. "Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas Edison.
        "Shop"

Comment

No badmouthing intended.

Originally posted by tbishop11 View Post
          I'm not quite sure who you are trying to bad mouth, or if you are at all, everybody has a style, and there isn't one that everybody can agree on. You are very correct on that one. - - - .
          Hi Shop,
          it wouldn't have been so bad except that both Rick's and your own machines are so nicely done.
          I was ribbing Rick for leaving his rear suspension alone and I was ribbing you for hardtailing yours.
          You must understand that my first decade of motorcycling was so long ago that all I could afford to ride as poverty-stricken apprentice was pre-war machines with girder forks, rigid frames and by modern standards, pathetic brakes. As far as I was and still am concerned, the swingarm is the best thing since sliced bread. I went so far as to saw up the frame of what would now be a priceless antique Velocette to weld on a cheap waterpipe copy of the McCandless swingarm conversion kit.
          So when I see a bike that had rear suspension which is God's gift to the human spine with that rear suspension removed, I just shakes me head in puzzlement. Sometimes I even wax sarcastic.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Imitation Bobber

Okay I get it now. I missed it at first. Yes I would say the styles (taste) are similar. But that bobber takes it to a much higher level. The red wheels are perfect!. I did take my styling cues from old hot rods and bobbers. My bike is basically stock with the exception of the mufflers and a great deal of internal engine work. I did take the whole bike down to nuts and bolts and restore everything. I do everything myself and I have over 1000 hrs. in the bike. I love hardtail bobbers but at 55 my body would just not take it. So I built an imitation bobber for old guys. Thx Rick

Comment

History repeats itself...

Rick
              I still like yours, I wont lie today as I was fabricating the hard tail I contemplated some sort of shock system also, but I'm going to stick with the springer seat. I am definitely trying to go for the old school hot rod or rat rod look. I guess what they say is true,

"Those who forget their history are destined to repeat it" - They

And will my spine pay for it, maybe but I'm willing to take the chance. I just had no idea it would upset Fred. Sorry Fred I'm young and dumb. I'll admit it any day of the week.
              Click Here to see how the hardtail went today.
              "Shop"

Comment

Hey Rick it looks great you may have to plan a trip to see me and help out on the engine on the bagger just got a set of .25 pistons so am going to fix the problem

Jim
                http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Comment

Nice looking bike Rick. What's that you have wrapped around the headers??

Fred. I too don't understand the whole hardtail thing out of something with perfectly good suspension. First bike I ever rode any distance (about 95 miles) was a 1924 Triumph with a girder front end and sprung seat. Had to deliver it for guy who had bought it from my boss. Never again. Next bike (same deal) was a 1955 Norton Dominator 88 with this new fangled invention called rear shocks and springs. That was over 30 years ago and I've never ridden anything without springs since. By the way, can't believe you cut up a Velo Thats almost sacrilidge in my book.

Shop, each to his own but man I hope you've got a good kidney belt, or you'll be peeing out of a tube in years to come... Love the red wheels.. Very cool.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Dinosaur leg wraps

hi jim, I can probably free up a few days too come and help out. Let me know when your ready for assembly. Any questions in the meantime just call,Rick
                    Asfor the pipe wrap it is available at most Hi perfomane car shop. Back in the day it wes said to increase HP. Ijust like the estetic value.

Comment

Crying for a time machine and a telephone

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                      Fred, - - - can't believe you cut up a Velo Thats almost sacrilege in my book. - - -
                      Hi Brian,
                      hey! In 1956 they weren't priceless antiques, they were pre-war junkers and it was expediency, not sacrilege.
                      I didn't cut up any of my KSS Velos, just an MOV that was pretty derelict before I got it.
                      The front forks were missing and I replaced them with Dowty Oleomatic forks from a wrecked 1947 MAC.
                      With the teles up front and a pseudo-McCandless swingarm it looked quite modern and rode real nice.
                      The MOV got swapped for a 16H sidecar outfit and the last of my KSS models got swapped for a post-war James 197 that at least had suspension.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

shocks pegs lucky?

This says it all! Shocks, pegs, lucky!
                        "Shop"

Comment

Yep, I would have to think that riding a hard tail would certainly be one of the most effective forms of birth control!! Almost as good as those glasses they give you in the military to correct your vision.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Bcg's

The Ol' BCG's, (birth control glasses) I'm pretty glad I didn't have to wear those when I was in basic military training! Nads, kindeys, Lucky! (making reference to this video link...)
                            "Shop"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              .............I didn't cut up any of my KSS Velos, just an MOV that was pretty derelict before I got it.
                              Forgiven
                              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                              X