Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad to show up to an interview on a motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad to show up to an interview on a motorcycle?

I have a job interview tomorrow morning at 10am in Dallas followed by a doctors appointment at 2pm in Mansfield (46 miles apart from each other) plus I want to go to my office to pick up my check before 5pm in Ft Worth (29 miles away from the doctor) and do a few other errands, so the only feasible way of doing this in DFW traffic is on the bike. I could use my truck which only gets a little over 10 mpg, less maneuverable and not nearly as fast. So my question is, is it "unprofessional" to show up to an interview on a motorcycle? It's a blue collar job and was told business casual attire is appropriate, so jeans and a nice button up shirt would be okay I guess.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

I'd reckon if they knew you also had other transportation, they probably wouldn't care. JMHO
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The job comes with a work truck. I realize a motorcycle is some peoples only form of transportation and I was wondering if anyone has ever been discriminated against for going to an interview on a motorcycle, my wife thinks it would be unprofessional.

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
        The job comes with a work truck. I realize a motorcycle is some peoples only form of transportation and I was wondering if anyone has ever been discriminated against for going to an interview on a motorcycle, my wife thinks it would be unprofessional.
        If they discriminate against you because of your riding a m/c then you dont want to work for them...then again I wouldnt allow any prospective employer know any more about me than they need to,prior to being hired.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Go on your bike... Who knows ... The guy doing the hiring might be getting to work on his bike.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I would ride your bike. I just hired an engineer 2 weeks ago and he road in on a bike in LA. You may want to mention about your multiple means of transportation.

Gene
            Gene (Florida)
            1980 XS1100SG
            Accel Coils
            4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

As far as I am concerned, the job itself does not influence what should be worn to an interview. For ANY interview, no matter what the job is, I would wear a shirt and tie. To be honest, though I have never been in a position to make that decision yet, if anyone showed up at my office for an interiew in anything less, I would not even consider hiring them.

If you have the option, you could wear the shirt and tie (covered by a riding jacket) with jeans until you got to a local gas station. Then, take your nice pants and shoes outta the saddlebags and change, then ride to the interview. Afterward, ride back to the gas station and change back into your regular riding gear. I don't think the bike itself would have any influence in the hiring decision though.

Just my $0.02
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I would ride your bike. I just hired an engineer 2 weeks ago and he road in on a bike in LA. You may want to mention about your multiple means of transportation.
                As far as I am concerned, the job itself does not influence what should be worn to an interview. For ANY interview, no matter what the job is, I would wear a shirt and tie. To be honest, though I have never been in a position to make that decision yet, if anyone showed up at my office for an interiew in anything less, I would not even consider hiring them.

If you have the option, you could wear the shirt and tie (covered by a riding jacket) with jeans until you got to a local gas station. Then, take your nice pants and shoes outta the saddlebags and change, then ride to the interview. Afterward, ride back to the gas station and change back into your regular riding gear.
                The first two GOOD opinions.
                The third, mine.
                I commute to job interviews on my bike. I DO wear a shirt and tie, and NICE pants with my over pants. My riding boots double as dress shoes, as they are black, and look good with my black dress pants. I've NEVER had any problem with this, though I'm still looking for a new job.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Id ride the bike

I wouldnt show up to a blue collar job interview in a suit and tie however.

Nice pants and button up shirt, screw the tie... just my opinion.
                  '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                    Go on your bike... Who knows ... The guy doing the hiring might be getting to work on his bike.
                    Rob
                    And they might be a Harley snob.

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Who's gonna know

Will they see you arrive? I have been to many an interview where my future employer would not have known if I came in on a flying carpet. In fact, almost all I can recall would never have known. Lock the helmet on the aide of the bike, brush your hair as applicable, and head on in.

I will say that, in my field at least, business casual would mean dress slacks, a button up shirt (that does not look like or is denim), and dress shoes. Of course you mention this being more blue collar type of work so perhaps nice looking boots would not be out of the question. If the word Casual is in there, a tie is not expected. You can OVERDRESS for an interview. If I am hiring a technician to put out in the field to run testing and review system installs, I don't want a suit and tie person, they won't be happy in that environment and will most likely not get along with some of the folks they would interact with. JMHO.
                      Last edited by DGXSER; 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

True they may be, but who would want to work for a jerk like that
                        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          I've NEVER had any problem with this, though I'm still looking for a new job.
                          See, it's discrimination!

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

See, it's discrimination!
                            No it's the result of 8 years of an idiot at the helm. In my area, the unemployment rate is at 14.4%, and my last job I was doing something that only about 1,100 in the WORLD did. I'm trying to go back to field service work, but I've NOT found the company I would want to work for, as of yet...
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Since I have been at the same company for almost 11 years and haven't been on an interview since I started, what is considered business casual? I guess I'll wear khaki pants and a button up shirt, but should I tuck it in too?

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Working...
                              X