heat gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat gun

Does anyone know where i can get a decent heat gun?Am looking to shrink wrap some wires on my SG and was wondering about if i need a really hot one or how much heat is required to heat shrink wrap?We had one at work but a supervisor used it once and never returned it.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

I know blow dryer is not hot enough. I used my lighter to shrink the stuff when I used it. You should be able to get a Heat gun from any hardware store or parts house.

Comment

Thanks Alan-I'll try Walmart first.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Good ol' Harbor Freight tools will probably be cheapest. If you are going to use it commercially.. maybe not. But a few times now and then... probably be perfect for you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66001

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I wouldn't buy anything at Harbor Freight that says "Chicago Electric" on it - pure crap. I had one of their heat guns. Lasted for one use, then something fried inside and that was the end of it. I've seen many references to Chicago Electric on the web, and the consensus seems to be to stay away from it. Bought one at Ace Hardware that cost a few dollars more, but works every time I plug it in.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

ebay heat gun

Try Ebay,,,,they are all made in China no matter which brand you get. I got one for 14.00 and it works great. They come with all the attachments and a nice plastic case to store the stuff in. Believe it or not, I use it for redoing the plastic faded bumpers on my 500,000 mile Toyota Previa. All of them are notorious for fading and I saw a youtube video, using a heat gun to semi remelt the plastic and they look like new. It works great. It has a high,med,low setting for different applications. So,,Ebay has various prices but they basically just heat and blow. Good luck,,Mike in S.Diego
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

No, Chicago Electric isn't Snap-on or Craftsman.. but it's not meant.. or priced.. to be. I've bought a lot of C/E stuff that is one-time or very infrequent use, and never had any problems except for a grinder I bought. BUT.. Harbor Freight is also great about taking stuff back.. (like if it only worked once)... and replacing it hassle free.

Paying more doesn't necessarilly mean trouble free either. I've had plenty of problems from Black and Decker, Dewalt, etc.. Most of the time I kind of expect problems, and buying stuff on Ebay that you may have to return.. can sure be a hassle.. along with extra or lost shipping fees for exchange.

SO.. Yeah, their stuff is usually pretty cheap.. but it usually works well for the average guy for a long time still.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I agree with Tod. I have used some harbor freight stuff with good results. And I have never had a problem with returns there either.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yep,

I got one of the C/E heat guns from HF last year, has worked just fine for many heat shrink applications and such! Has 2 temp settings. YMMV!
                  T.C.

I will say the 50 foot blue PVC 3/8" air hose I got last year is already bubbling and leaking! HF was having a sale on GoodYear hoses, so I bought a 50foot black one of those, hoping the goodyear brand quality of rubber will last a bit longer than the other Chicago Pneumatic stuff I got from there!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I've bought lots of stuff from Harbor Freight, and for the most part I've been very happy with the purchases. They have a lot of hand tools that work well, and they have budget-priced torque wrenches that also work well. I've got the 50' hose from Harbor Freight, and it works great. Needs a dryer on the end for paint work, but any hose that long probably has the same issue (condensation inside the line). Also bought a hose real from them for the 50 footer - it's a good quality reel that also works well.

My problem with their Chicago Electric brand tools, is that they just aren't made very well. Their power tools use a lot of plastic, often in places subjected to stress. I thought I was safe with a heat gun, as it has very few moving parts, and low and behold the moving part was what broke. The element still got hot, but the fan no longer turned. Maybe I just got a bad one, but that experience put me off CE. I still go to Harbor Freight for lots of stuff, but if it plugs into an electrical outlet, I go someplace else.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have a Makita heat gun that produces up to 2kw of heat over 5 heat settings and 2 fan speeds.

As an electrician I use it on a daily basis for heat shrink and many other uses, including plastic welding (with the right adaptors). It was at the more expensive end of the price range but i've had it for 6 years and never had a problem with it, and it's still a current model.

I tend to buy tools in the higher price range and I generally don't have to replace them very often. Some of my stuff I still have, and use, from my apprenticeship days over 30 years ago.
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I use a Milwaukee variable temperature heat gun, with a dial for setting anywhere from 212 degrees to 1100 degrees. Yes, you can solder with it, and it does a great job for heat-shrinking, especially with the various nozzles it comes with for concentrating the hot air stream. Not cheap, but a great example of "you get what you pay for".
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          No, Chicago Electric isn't Snap-on or Craftsman.. but it's not meant.. or priced.. to be. I've bought a lot of C/E stuff that is one-time or very infrequent use, and never had any problems except for a grinder I bought. BUT.. Harbor Freight is also great about taking stuff back.. (like if it only worked once)... and replacing it hassle free.
                          I'm with Tod on this one. A rule that I use for buying at HF is if the item is 1/2 or less in price compared to a 'name' brand, you'll do ok as far as value.

And I actually like their small grinders; catch 'em on sale for $20, they last 1-2 years usually (and I sometimes use these pretty heavily) then throw 'em away. I've got 3 name-brand grinders in a drawer (Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch), all with bad switches and the replacement parts are $25-40 each. The switches seem to last about 1-2 years..... do the math.

One thing to be careful of though; a lot of HF tools aren't OSHA legal, so it's not a good idea to take 'em to work.

'78E original owner
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I've had really good luck with stuff from Northern Tool. Their prices are competitive, and even their Northern Industrial house brand is pretty decent quality. Here's a link to their heat gun page - http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

Comment

Heat Gun

www.grainger.com
                              78 XS1100E Standard
                              Coca Cola Red
                              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X