No announcement yet.

#^&#@*$(&$ Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 78e main fuse is in the fuse box unless you are like me and have a 80g harness with TCs fuse box replacement
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Dragonrider:

You are correct: The main fuse was re-positioned on the left side of the bike on 80s and above. there is even a picture of it in the manual page 10-13 Paragraph B " There are two fuse blocks on this model. The main fuse block is located inside the left side cover. The other fuse block is located inside the right side cover."

Comment

Ah, those wonderful electrical gremlins . I had much the same problem that you are experiencing, though mine had a preference for dieing on me at night, usually when I was out for a ride in the middle of nowhere .

In my case, the problem turned out to be the positive wire leading away from the solenoid. The short wire connector came loose at the plug-in and, though it still appeared to be connected, it was only being held in place by the plastic sheathing. Contact would be maintained intermittently, usually breaking by the engines vibration, resulting in a total loss of power . That same engine vibration would/could also cause the wire to reconnect, there-by allowing full power to be temporarily restored
        1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
        1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
        1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
        1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
        2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Tried that

Found the connector at the solenoid and checked that one and I thought that was it, but it happened again and this time I found that massaging the "bag" the power came back on. At least now I know where the problem is, I can, when I find the time, remove the fairing and all that so I can open the bag and fix the problem.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

That's funny!

Massaging the "bag"
            I never thought of trying that for an electrical problem. I guess it would make you feel better though.
            Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
            1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
            23mm float height
            120 main jets
            42.5 pilot jets
            drilled stock airbox with K&N
            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
            spade fusebox
            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Massaging the "bag"

Like John Lennon used to sing:
              "Whatever gets you through the night 'salright, 'salright"
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Any port in a storm!
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                X