#^&#@*$(&$ Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #^&#@*$(&$ Gremlins

Had a couple of days with decent weather to ride and The Pathfinder wants to make problems. Went to the bank yesterday, lots of traffic, moved to the head of the line at the light as there was lots of room between the cars. Sat there idling fine until the light went green, then the engine quit. No lights, no nothing. Got off it and started pushing it out of the way so the traffic could go and the nuetral light came on so I got on and hit the starter. Started right up and went to the next signal just fine. This time I didn't go to the front and same thing, after about 30 seconds idling it quit again. Got off and started to move it and power came back again. #%$&#@ At the bank I was leaving, hard right turn, just as I leaned right and started to move, stopped again, this time falling over. $#&^%@#% Got home by keeping RPMS high and of course it runs fine in the garage. Idled for long periods of time without any problem. Looks like it's time to take all the connections apart and look everything over real good. Oh well, it is winter, time for all those maintenance things.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Amc gremlins?hehe

It sounds like your problem might be up around the steering head eh?What a pain.But like you say it gives time for maintainance.Good luck and have fun
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Electrical gremlin - loose or dirty connector.

BTDT..
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Sparkey gremlins, eh? Ain't that yer ....

speciality, there Mr. Planerichard? Only a one in ten chance to nail it with a 'sharpshot'. You're right to check everything ... there ain't that much, right? Already has a new fuse box, doesn't it? Since the accident, everything up front is suspect, I believe, including the kill switch. .... even the pick up coil wires that have been fixed in the past could have broken loose again ... what a pain !!
        80G Mini-bagger
        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Richard. Hope there wasn't too much damage.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

There's a connector plug under the fuel tank on the right side. It connects the switches on the handlebars when I remove the handlebars or work under the tank on my bike it will pull apart and leave me dead in the water.Might be worth a look.
            Fastmover
            "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

planedick:

It looks like the old clean and di-electric grease time again. When I bought my bike from the PO, he said he was selling it because he had an electrical gremlin that caused the bike to die. I had him knock down the price and eventually found the gremlin. It was heating up the connector to the key switch. It apparently would heat up and separate in the connector. The original PO did not do any of his own maintenance and had spent a lot of money at his local Yamaha dealer trying to fix the bike. They sold him a new Star.

Comment

Gremlins

I know you probably have this but here is the diagram anyway. Don't forget the grounds!! They are often neglected and overlooked.

78 XS1100E Standard
                Coca Cola Red
                Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Oh yeah

I know I can find the gremlin, it's just that it comes when there is a good day to ride. It's just a matter of doing it. Like The Whiz says, it's my forte and I'll find it OK, just gotta go do it. Looks like it's gonna rain for the whole week, so I'll have time for that and some other things I have to do also.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system

Comment

Maybe a shot in the dark, but you may want to include the tipover switch in you troubleshooting.
                    Ernie
                    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

good luck!

Hey planedick I am going through something like that too but only when I am trying to park and it requires mucho head movement. I hope you didn't hurt your bike too much when you dropped it
                      91 kwaka kz1000p
                      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

It was heating up the connector to the key switch. It apparently would heat up and separate in the connector.

I had that exact problem this past summer, even though I had replaced the connectors two years back. Finally soldered the wires permanently.

Comment

If that rubbery "lump in the cable" main fuse holder on the *left* side hasn't been replaced...I'd suspect it...
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Rubbery lump?????

I haven't heard of that before. I didn't know there was a fuse in the cable. Maybe I should have posted this in the XS/XJ discussion forum. I wasn't really looking for help yet as I haven't even begun to look for the problem.....

Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system

Comment

Not sure all the models had them...but I know the specials did and at least the 80-up standard.

There's a rubber(ish) fuse holder...in the cable...it was meant to be accessed from under the *left* side cover, but more often ends up under the seat on the left side...in a large guage red wire...the main power other than the starter cable. It holds a glass 30amp fuse and a spare. It doesn't hold it very well and can be a loose or bad connection. When I replaced my fuse box I simply added a main fuse in the fuse box and removed that one...

It's a common yamaha feature for that era too...not just the XS11's. Very unreliable...and sort of hard to spot unless you know what you are looking for!
                              CUAgain,
                              Daniel Meyer
                              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X