Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you going to do your XS/XJ this winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you going to do your XS/XJ this winter?

Oh geez ... have I ever got some stuff to do?

SF bagger: fork brace, fork rebuild, new mirrors, reseat front tire, 17" rear wheel, 750final drive mod, new STD bars or rechrome, paint !!

G: Fork rebuild, fix scratches in fairing, buff aluminum on forks, engine case and exh. brackets, find a smoother working 2 cable throttle assy.

My drivers are all running good for now finally. Time to get busy on the details. I am promising to take more photos ... posts with pics are usually more interesting and fun to read ... I have been pretty lazy regarding photo documentation. I'm gonna' do better.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

I rode my SG this past summer and fall but I need to get some work done on it. The #1 cylinder never seemed to be up to par and I suspect a problem with the intake valve as I also heard a steady clicking sound. The exhaust header for that cylinder was the only one of the four that didn't turn blue. Compression seems fine, spark seems fine, carbs were rebuilt by Yamaha in June.

I now have my SH to get going on. I did some things late last spring like gas tank and battery covers repainted, seat re-covered, new rear shocks, new battery. In my little project of trying to replace the head gasket on my SG, I failed at setting it at "top, dead center" and ended up bending my valves. I just stole the head of my SH to put on the SG to have at least one up and running this past year.

One other project that is still pending on the SH....doing the repair for my second gear issues that so many of these bikes have. Can't wait to try that one out for myself. Maybe I will let a pro do that for me.

Don
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
      What are you going to do your XS/XJ this winter?
      Riding it. Today is about 60º, little windy, but you can't be picky in Kansas in the winter.

When it snows, probably tomorrow, I will probably pull the forks off and polish the lowers. If I can ever figure out how to strip chrome, I will try and polish lots more stuff.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I'm going to put all the newly powder coated engine parts Then the new custom seat. The powder coated fork legs fork seals etc. And then it's for sale.
        I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

DsXs ... have ya' got any photos up?
          80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Hopefully, I'll be getting it running and road ready. This means electrical, fuel, paint, cleaning out the gas tank, getting tires replaced and getting brakes fixed.
            If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Carbs are off and I will be putting fuel filters in. Change the handle bars and seat. Throw on some bar end mirrors also. I have also been pondering the black and decker fix on the tranny but we shall see.
              1979 XS1100 SF
              1981 KZ440 bobber

Comment

I have 3 more carbs to rebuild and I have to replace the 5th gear pin that fell out of the shift cog. I just ordered the parts to do all that, so maybe in the next few weeks I will be able to enjoy my bike a bit more. Right now, it won't run unless the choke is pulled the whole time. I'll need to finish it off with a carb synch and a bath. It still has the PO's shed dust on it, and I just found dirty squirrel tracks across the seat today.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

"....I just found dirty squirrel tracks across the seat today...."

We got some of them damn dirty squirrels here where I live too ... gonna' get me a Beman to take care of 'em ..... bastards ate all the peaches off my tree .... geeeeez.... they coulda' left me a couple.
                  80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
                    We got some of them damn dirty squirrels here where I live too ... gonna' get me a Beman to take care of 'em ..... bastards ate all the peaches off my tree .... geeeeez.... they coulda' left me a couple.
                    Oh.. I HATE them things!! I can't plant flowers in my front yard because they dig them up. They ate holes through the lids of my garbage cans and spread the trash all over my porch. They planted hundreds of tiny oak trees in my front yard last winter, and I had to hit them with weed killer to stop them from taking over what grass is left from them digging up my lawn!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Oh.. I HATE them things!!
                      Hmmm.... They are edible you know? lol..

As far as what I'm doing with my XJ this winter. Rain, snow, sleet, or shine... riding it. As long as there's not packed ice on the road. I rode down to Texas this last weekend and left here while it was in the low 30's. The only other bikes I saw, were two M/C cops riding side by side going the other way.. and they actually waved back at me! The cooler weather keeps all the wanna-be bikers out of my way.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

With 8 inches on the ground and more on the way, I think I'm done.

Have a new clutch and an 850 FD waiting on me.
                        Thinking about rings and camchain, its a long time till March.
                        XS1100SF
                        XS1100F

Comment

The SH just got a new tank. The old one was Kreemed by the PO and it looked like a pretty good job. I had started to have some low end power problems so I threw a high concentration of seafoam in the tank and let it sit. Bad move. The seafoam started to brake down the Kreem and put some of the Kreem into solution.. That ended up in the carbs. The suction sides of the throttle plates were coated with a plastic like goo. Here is a picture of the stuff I dig out of the tank after draining and letting it dry

So this winter I'm celaning carbs and mounting a new very pretty tank.

Moral of the story BE REAL CARFUL WITH THE SEAFOAM IF YOU HAVE A LINED TANK
                          wingnut
                          81 SH (Daily Ride)
                          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

does it ever end

Let's see #1 install fj1100 carbs when they arive ,get the beast to run right #2 750 final drive mod ala planedick #3 s/s brake lines. And then ride the snot out of her until I either brake something or think about some other crazy stuff to do this bike
                            91 kwaka kz1000p
                            Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Pull, fix and paint the Fairing, Side Covers and Tank. While opened up, I will check and order needed valve shims.

Deny
                              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
                              X