Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
    Hey folks,

We have a lot of new members, so I thought I'd bump this thread to see if we get any more "bytes" by folks that might have the add-on packs for the DukeNukem3D game that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, the Nuclear Winter, Life's a Beach, etc.! As stated, I already have the Duke in DC pack.

Bringing this up both for hopes of finding these add on packs...FOR FREE.. vs. ebay, and also to get more material to send to IVAN since I've recently hooked him up with a copy of the windows port and required files for playing the original game and the DC add on!

Hopefully this request will be a "Piece of Cake"!?
    T.C.
    Someone needs a few lessons in "torrents". I use uTorrent for my client, isohunt.com to find my stuff.
    ...but you didn't hear about it from me.
    1981 XS1100S (former)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

TC you are a god... Thank you

I used to love Shadow Warrior too... Similar in humor to Duke

Hmmm now where's my old Duke disc???
      Last edited by Alive; 08-10-2009, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Well, time to brag up my DX4-100, then, with 8MB of RAM! Nobody in town had a faster computer at the time. I paid at least $2k for it back then!

Went through all the games. Wolfenstein was great. Doom was great (we used DoomCAD and created our own levels) and Duke3d was really good. "Come get some!"
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Originally posted by BlkMage View Post
          Someone needs a few lessons in "torrents". I use uTorrent for my client, isohunt.com to find my stuff.
          ...but you didn't hear about it from me.
          I used to do that, but I got a nice little knock on the door saying to cease and desist or else. I decided to not risk finding out what the or else part was. FWIW, I was caught by a "watch dog" which is a bottom feeding little bitch that hunts down offenders and offers a list to major publishers and accepts a "bounty" in return. Then the publishers involved simply forward that email to the RIAA or what ever authority, and it is enough evidence for a very expensive judgement. I guess a chain of evidence and reasonable doubt don't exist anymore. Also, its probably a good idea, if you do this regularly, that you never ever ever mention it on a forum. Apparently, I got sniffed out by braggin on one of the old RC sites I used to be on.

During this time I also learned that if you have a wifi hub on your internet connection, you had better have it encrypted. If you have open access and some wardriver decided to download Harry Potter and the Midlife Crisis, you are completely liable for that. If you have done everything in your power to prevent that, then they go easy on you.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
            I used to do that, but I got a nice little knock on the door saying to cease and desist or else. I decided to not risk finding out what the or else part was. FWIW, I was caught by a "watch dog" which is a bottom feeding little bitch that hunts down offenders and offers a list to major publishers and accepts a "bounty" in return. Then the publishers involved simply forward that email to the RIAA or what ever authority, and it is enough evidence for a very expensive judgement. I guess a chain of evidence and reasonable doubt don't exist anymore. Also, its probably a good idea, if you do this regularly, that you never ever ever mention it on a forum. Apparently, I got sniffed out by braggin on one of the old RC sites I used to be on.

During this time I also learned that if you have a wifi hub on your internet connection, you had better have it encrypted. If you have open access and some wardriver decided to download Harry Potter and the Midlife Crisis, you are completely liable for that. If you have done everything in your power to prevent that, then they go easy on you.
            That sucks, I'm sorry. But I've said for years that if you don't take steps to protect yourself, things like this happen. Not watching your bandwidth usage is akin to riding in a t-shirt and shorts: if and when something happens, it's gonna hurt. Remember kids, always use protection.
            1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Originally posted by Shuriken View Post
              Well, time to brag up my DX4-100, then, with 8MB of RAM! Nobody in town had a faster computer at the time. I paid at least $2k for it back then!

Went through all the games. Wolfenstein was great. Doom was great (we used DoomCAD and created our own levels) and Duke3d was really good. "Come get some!"

Ok seeing as we're bragging lol... In 94 I bought a 486DX4 100 with a massive 16mb of ram, a 512mb HDD, and a huge 1mb of vid ram... Unheard of at the time and I paid a sum of $3600 NZD for this beast (probably more because I paid it off).

I had 2 friends with comps too and as soon as Doom worked over the LAN, everything worked.

Ahh the good old days of Doom, Duke, Warcraft, Warlords 2 Deluxe, Heroes of Might & Magic 1 & 2, Heretic, Hexen, Shadow Warrior, Quake... I know there's more I've missed

Comment

In the mid to late 80's and early 90's, I started with C64, C128 and then to an Amiga 500. I finally pop for a 486SX25 (to be compatible with the new PCs at work) w/4 megs of RAM. 128 mb hard drive, 1200 bd MODEM and 1/2 meg of Video memory. I bought this at Radio Shack for about $2300. I upgraded it to a 486DX66 with 8 megs of RAM, 720 mb hard drive, 33.8 k MODEM and another 1/2 meg of video mem. I sure did enjoy playing Wolfenstein, Doom, Rise Of The Triad and my all-time favorite DUKE NUKE 'EM.

Sam
                Sam
                1978 XS1100E

Comment

Hey BlkMage,

I did some searching. Believe or not 3D Realms is out of business, at least that's the word on the Duke4ever type sites that were looking for the release of DukeNukem 4 Ever! But their website is still up, so I don't know what's going on there??

The addons were sold by WizardWorks, they are out of business, they were a subsidary of GT INteractive, and they were bought/consumed by Atari, and on the Atari site, there's only 3 games listed, but the Duke Nukem 3D addons are not. Therefore, several folks have considered it orphaned software and felt they are now FREEWARE!? I found an ISO file for the Nuclear Winter disc, and also found the Carribean files as well.

The Winter one works somewhat...I have yet to get the Carribean one to work. MY personal copy of Duke in DC works flawlessly.

To use these addons you have to go thru some bothersome hoops, Sunsoft International which handled WizardWorks changed the addon file formats into *.ssi files instead of *.grp files. You have to extract the contents, and then regroup them using a program called KGroup which puts all the parts into the *.grp file that DukeNukem uses. BUT...you also have to have and use the correct version of *.ssi/*.grp file that were specific to the OEM 1.3D fully registered version of Duke...3 episode, then 1.4, then 1.5 which was also called the Plutonia Pak IF you did it thru their upgrade discs, otherwise you bought the later ATOMIC version which included the 4 episode you got with the PlutoPak!

The Addons provided versions for 1.3, 1.5 and PP, and I've tried them all with both the 1.3D 3 level version of MAIN Duke3d.GRP file, as well as my upgraded PP/1.5/Atomic version..which Eduke32 recognizes as the ATOMIC version, but the Carribean levels just won't show/load/work!?

I'm going to be doing a few more things to try to get it to work. But I don't know for sure if the Carribean files I got are not corrupted??

I'm using the HiResPack....HRP and just found that the folks that made the original HRP for use with Eduke32 have made HRP's for Carrib and Winter, and I will try D/L'ing them and see if adding them will help the addons to be recognized??
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Hey BlkMage,

I did some searching. Believe or not 3D Realms is out of business, at least that's the word on the Duke4ever type sites that were looking for the release of DukeNukem 4 Ever! But their website is still up, so I don't know what's going on there??

The addons were sold by WizardWorks, they are out of business, they were a subsidary of GT INteractive, and they were bought/consumed by Atari, and on the Atari site, there's only 3 games listed, but the Duke Nukem 3D addons are not. Therefore, several folks have considered it orphaned software and felt they are now FREEWARE!? I found an ISO file for the Nuclear Winter disc, and also found the Carribean files as well.

The Winter one works somewhat...I have yet to get the Carribean one to work. MY personal copy of Duke in DC works flawlessly.

To use these addons you have to go thru some bothersome hoops, Sunsoft International which handled WizardWorks changed the addon file formats into *.ssi files instead of *.grp files. You have to extract the contents, and then regroup them using a program called KGroup which puts all the parts into the *.grp file that DukeNukem uses. BUT...you also have to have and use the correct version of *.ssi/*.grp file that were specific to the OEM 1.3D fully registered version of Duke...3 episode, then 1.4, then 1.5 which was also called the Plutonia Pak IF you did it thru their upgrade discs, otherwise you bought the later ATOMIC version which included the 4 episode you got with the PlutoPak!

The Addons provided versions for 1.3, 1.5 and PP, and I've tried them all with both the 1.3D 3 level version of MAIN Duke3d.GRP file, as well as my upgraded PP/1.5/Atomic version..which Eduke32 recognizes as the ATOMIC version, but the Carribean levels just won't show/load/work!?

I'm going to be doing a few more things to try to get it to work. But I don't know for sure if the Carribean files I got are not corrupted??

I'm using the HiResPack....HRP and just found that the folks that made the original HRP for use with Eduke32 have made HRP's for Carrib and Winter, and I will try D/L'ing them and see if adding them will help the addons to be recognized??
                    T.C.
                    Yeah, I had heard the news about 3D Realms back when it happened. That's one corner of the world I like to keep close tabs on.

And you want to talk about workarounds, try some of the old gems from Sierra. I just bought the Space Quest collection on Steam (I have the old disks, but they don't like Windows XP). And in order to install Missionforce: Cyberstorm on XP, you have to start installing another old Sierra title (I use Hunter Hunted) and swap disks at the right time.

And for everyone in this thread, check out Good Old Games at gog.com, great list of classic games, all working on new computers, most expensive are $10.
                    1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Well, if we are braggin on compys that we have had, I started with a Timex/Sinclair T1000. Then I moved up to a Radioshack TRS80, nice since it had internal memory and floppy drives instead of cassette tapes. After that was an old IBM Spec8 that had a whopping 64k of ram and a Hard drive, WTF? you can't pull the disc out? I think it had a 2 meg HD. Then we got a 286DX from Hyundai, and it ALREADY HAD A GAME CARD! It was EGA too! I bought a Kraft joystic and spent a gazillion hours playing Falcon (the original). After that were some 486s. One of them had a "TURBO" button that overclocked the processor an amazing 33MHz. Raw power I am telling you. Then my folks divorced and I went without for about 6 years when I found an old P100 laptop at a garage sale and put linux on it. Those were the days.... <sniffle>
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I also had a T1000. Brings back memories. Then had a zenith 286 with the monochrome monitor. I splurged and upgraded it by installing a hard drive. 40mb IIRC. Used software "doublestack" to increase capacity to around 70mb. That was pretty big at the time. Favorite game on it for a couple years was Death Track.
                        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I guess I might as well add to the list of "the first computer I had", though I'm so young you're all going to laugh. My first computer (that I had myself, handed down from my parents in middle school when they got a new one) had a Pentium 75mhz chip and Windows 95. Granted, I had worked with 3.1, DOS, and some Apple IIe's before that, but the 75 will always hold a place in my heart.

Now, though, AMD Phenom quad-core at 3Ghz, 6Gb of RAM (getting ready for Windows 7 release), a 1Tb hard drive, and ATI HD 4670 video card.

And Bigfoot, I love the avitar. Metal Slug is one of my favorite game series.
                          1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Working...
                          X