No announcement yet.

Tkat Fork Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the info xssiveone, I didn't want to send him another e-mail. i would feel like a pest or something like that, check sent, patiently waiting for the mail.
    '80 XS1100sg "MadMax"

Comment

TKAT is a stand up member of this community, he has supported both the XS11 and Bandit community. I would trust him with any thing, period.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

thats the general vibe i get from the guy as well. nothing but praise for him. He seems like a stand up guy and if you ordered a part you'll get the part.
        '80 XS1100sg "MadMax"

Comment

It has ARRIVED!!

I just got it. Installed it in about 3 minutes And boy does it ever make a difference. it feels like the bike has shed about 150lbs. The effect is immediately noticeable from the first bump you hit, you can feel the difference. Thumbs up to tkat, and his must have fork brace. This is a neccessity.
          '80 XS1100sg "MadMax"

Comment

I got mine installed yesterday as well. It was a snap. I didn't expect to see a difference around town, but I was quite mitaken. Excellent value!
            1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Put mine on about a week ago. I polished mine first and it came out really great. It's been rainning here almost every day, so I've only got about 150 miles on it. But so far I'm really impressed. Now for some good weather and alot more miles. We'll be heading to Arkansas in about a month and should get a good test on it then. Lots and lots of twisties.....

NOMAD

Comment

I e-mailed tkat about a fork brace for my xj1100 and was told that xj1100 came with a brace built into the underside of the fender. I checked mine and it does seem to have a thick plate inside the fender. I decided more would be better so I oredered xj1100 fender off e-bay-with intention of cutting out brace cutting section out of middle and tacking it to inside of brace. I got ready to do it and realized I go a xs front fender, The brace is very thin compared to xj1100. So I am gonna look for another fender and try again! For what ir's worth I haven't fallen off face of earth- just working and riding.

Comment

Tkat made a fork brace for the XJ; I have one of them. Difference is not as great as on the XS due to the XJ's factory built-in fork brace, but is still noticeable.

Tkat has mentioned getting out of the fork brace business a few times; I doubt he makes much on these after all the machining and cost of raw materials. The XJ brace has a higher 'riser' (part that clamps to the fork tube) than XS models, so requires special machining to make them.

It may be that Tkat is getting out of the business, he is 70+ years old and looking to retire, and has had more serious medical problems in the last few years, but if and when he does it will be a great loss to XS and XJ owners who are looking to improve the handling of their bikes.

If enough XJ owners request a fork brace, perhaps Tkat would make another run of them. I sugest that all XJ owners who are serious about getting a fork brace make their request and see if Tkat will oblige.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Cost for the Tkat fork brace

Could someone please inform me what they paid for the Tkat brace?. One post listed a price of $85.00. Is this correct? I have a '81 Special.
                    Thanks for your time.

Big Pat

Comment

Re: Cost for the Tkat fork brace

Originally posted by Big Pat
                      Could someone please inform me what they paid for the Tkat brace?. One post listed a price of $85.00. Is this correct? I have a '81 Special.
                      Thanks for your time.

Big Pat
                      Here is an excerpt from the email that tkat sent out:

Send $85 domestic, $87USD Canuck, or $92USD off-shore to:

Tkat
                      549 Rockport Dr.
                      Sunnyvale, CA
                      94087 USA

Any form including personal checks OK --- EXCEPT!! PayPal/plastic.

For you International guys, please denote in USD. My bank gets all flustered w/ anything else.

If your F/B is anything BUT the plain vanilla 58mm clamp and fender higher than the top of the slider please SAY SO!

Also, it would be nice to have a s'mail shipping addy. And since I'm
                      subject to C.R.S. , Myra even got me a hat pin that says so, please say you
                      want a F/B for a Spc.
                      1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

I bought mine fork brace and installed it this spring. With the short ride I did ... I sure noticed the difference. Wish I had bought one years ago.

Tom
                        2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                        gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Beechfront, the main reason in the big HP increase in the new bikes is the fact that they are liquid cooled. Once you are able to carry the extra heat away you can boost power a bunch. The manufacturers have done all of the normal tricks to up power. More compression , higher RPM, bigger carbs or fuel injection with larger ports and valves. More efficient carburation larger freer flow exhaust, lighter internal components, reduced internal friction. far lighter bikes unless you go for full dresser types.
                          Every time you take 10 poundS off a car or 3-5 pounds off a bike it is like finding another HP.
                          Liquid cooling allows the manufacturers to boos t HP a bunch and not worry about internal melt dow.
                          Ken/Sooke
                          78E Ratbyk

Comment

Well having been in MN for a week fishing it sure feels good being at this site again! I don't remember if I told you guys I finally broke down and bought a tkat fork brace! I guess I really lucked out cause he actually had it in stock! Stupid me decided to speed things up and pay him with a money order sent next day air(only thrue the US postal service) a bad idea, don't do it! Tkat is at home and his shop is in a differant town. Anything that reqires a signature he can't do and you will only cause the man extra grief!!!!!!!!!!As far as him being a stand up guy he went ahead and sent my f-brace while my check was in limbo!!! I got the f-brace and my check back same day, the post office gave me my $13 back and I sent it snail-mail. I'm telling you all this so nobody does the same thing. Anyway the best way to describe what the tkat f-brace is like is: it's what it doesn't do ,not what it does! I read a lot of posts from new people telling about all sorts of wierd stuff their bikes are doing like wobbles and shimmies and that sort of thing annd I wonder just how much of that crap would go away with a new tkat f-brace! So I replied just so NEW people could learn about one of the only decent fitting parts for the XS1100 and at a super bargain price! Life can be good sometimes! So here's to T-KAT a great guy(I know he trusted me when he didn't have to) and a great product! I only hope if he quits making them that he can sell the line to someone who will carry on. My advice is: you better get one while you still can, maybe 2 or 3 or more! Garry
                            Last edited by fusionking; 06-16-2003, 08:30 PM.
                            Garry
                            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Hats off to TKat!

I mailed him a check for a Standard brace and got the brace a week and a half after the day I mailed the check.

Took me about 5 minutes to put it on and it fit better than anything else I have ever put on a bike.

Now just to get a new rear tire on the old beast so I can check out the handling difference. LOL Had a flat doing a little over 50mph a couple days ago. I work 6 days a week..... go in to work before the bike shops open and get off work well after they've closed..... so I'm still trying to squeeze in some time to take the bike in. I thought about just pulling the wheel myself and taking it in..... but the shop I've started using only charges $25 to remove and replace the wheel, mount and balance. If I just took in the rim..... they mount and balance for free if I buy the tire from them. I'm just going to put on a Kenda Challenger for now.... since the $65 they want for it suits my wallet. LOL
                              Though.... I am going to take a look at the stock of Avons and Metzlers they have.
                              1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

the xs is also my first bike. i recived it from a friend.
                                thanks,
                                dan

Comment

Working...
                                X