Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tkat Fork Brace

Hello again all,

Just recieved my Tkat fork brace this morning, gave it the clean and fit treatment, couldn't wait to get into the twisties and see what difference it made.
    I had read posts extolling the virtues of fitting one of these doodads, but never expected the result would be so amazing!!!!!!!!
    I actually scared the living #^&%$^ out of myself, the bike however just got on with it!

Who would have thought something this heavy could handle like that?

My grateful thanks to Tkat for his quality product and service, in my book second to none!

Ride Safe, Ride Free!

Stava

Just got my Tkat brace today. I'm gonna polish it up tomorrow and put it on my SG. Then give it a real workout. Been waiting about 6 months to give it a try. You can be sure I'll post back with an opinion.

NOMAD

Comment

This means I should be getting mine any day now. I can't wait. Tkat is THE man.

On a side note, the XS is my first bike, I have not ridden anything else and have yet to find fault with the handling. Is there that much of a difference between this and other bikes?
      '80 XS1100sg "MadMax"

Comment

Well that would qualify as a ....how long is a piece of string question in some ways!
        The XS11 is a typical big 4 cylinder early vintage muscle bike, it has redeeming and not so redeeming qualities.
        For a bike of this weight and size it handles better than some of it's counterparts of the time, but can be very unforgiving in its reactions to doing to much at one time.
        You should read one of the "articles" in the appropriately named section of this site.
        I'm by no means an expert rider, however I can sure feel the difference in the steering and behavior in general of mine since fitting the brace.
        Confidence in the bikes ability to go hard in corners and twisties is markedly higher than before.
        Tkat's brace can not recieve high enough praise from yours truley!

Stava.

Ride Safe, Ride Free

Comment

Oh by the way ........am I reading your post right.

You picked an xs1100 as your first ride>!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow what a way to start

Comment

xs1100 for a first bike....oh boy....Do yourself and all of us a favor Damian....SPEED....SLOWLY! At least for a bit...The xs1100 is ALOT of bike! Have fun and take care!
            '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

You're not the only odd-ball with this being their first bike. Go big or go home!!
              L. G.
              1979 XS1100SF
              Exodia, "The Forbidden One"
              1988 CBR600F Hurricane
              Tempest- died Aug. 10, 2005
              198x XS850
              -no name yet-

Comment

As many of the older riders will attest, the whole idea is to be able to "enjoy" all that the xs11 has to offer but always remember that this bike will punish the unwary or the unwise in a most emphatic way!

Comment

my first bike as well. have had it since last summer.

Comment

I am in that club too. Just got my XJ1100 and have loved every minute on it.
                    The only known XJ1100 Interstate

Comment

Tech Tips

Several of you are relatively new to the XS/XJ. You should spend some time reading the Tech Tips section of this site and check the links to off-site articles as well.

This link deals with upgrading the XS/XJ suspension:

http://facstaff.uww.edu/fieldsj/mcyc...uspension.html

The XS/XJ suspension was OK when new, not outstanding, but age has taken its toll. There are several upgrades you can make, including the famous Tkat Fork Brace, and a few other tricks that will make your bike handle better as well. Check out the article for some ideas.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The XS1100 was and still is my first bike as well. Sizewise, I find it to be about average (if you peruse some old biking specs and reviews, it seems most bikes range in the mid 500lbs). Power is still pretty adequate even for today's standards, but most "first" bikes nowadays are those 600cc sportbike's that put out much more than our bikes, and weigh much less! And they handle so good they are dangerous! Most kids these days would probably be doing better to start out on a big bike like this, 'cause they would be so afraid of dropping it, they would ride carefully until they got comfortable. BTW, the only other full size bike I have ridden is a Vulcan 1500, which is bigger than the XS. Not to diminish the capabilities of the XS, nor take away from the respect it is due, but there are quite a few "regular" rides out there since the 80's that are "badder" beasts! Just my opinion.
                        80sg "Reaper"

Comment

i've always been curious about that - what kind of power is one of today's 1100's putting out compared to an XS/XJ? What have they done to improve besides using lighter materials in the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by beechfront
                            i've always been curious about that - what kind of power is one of today's 1100's putting out compared to an XS/XJ? What have they done to improve besides using lighter materials in the engine?
                            The XS was built to be the fastest production bike made, it would be more accurate to compare the XS1100 of 1978 to the Suzuki GSX 1300R of 1999. The first year of a new superbike. The 'Busa puts out about 150HP and had a top speed of 198 MPH (in '99 restricted to 186 after that) The XS had a top speed of 130 MPH and put out 95 HP. If by Todays 1100's you meant a V-Star or other cruiser...they manage a whopping 60 or so HP and might go 100 MPH (if you could stand the shaking) so in that case the XS is way better, faster, stronger
                            Gary Granger
                            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I was referring more to the engine.

For example: on the bike you are talking about -- I'm curious as to where they get that extra 50+ hp. obviously the extra 200 cc's will account for some of that - as well as lighter pistons, higher compression, probalby fuel injection... what else?

Yeah I am wanting to do some modifications. Nothing drastic. I don't really need the power, I just want to work on my bike. And if working on it just happens to get me more power..... well i won't complain.

I am starting with the small things - individual filters, jets... I don't really expect any noticable difference from that. Someday I plan on getting a new exhaust system and eventually the big bore kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X