Oh Deer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaakkk..... XS11 Fever ....

it's spreading outa' control here in Sandyeggo County. .... catch it !! ..... if you think you can !!!

Tom, the test bike dummy, that rode my free midnight special up to the Yosemite rally, just bought a nice 79'xs1100 that looks exactly like yours, up in Reseda, Ca..
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

The whole thing is a bit understated. That's the first time in ~35 years I've ridden anywhere without my helmet or allowed anyone on my bike without the proper gear.

We came . <--- that close to getting killed or spread over the pavement and ordering new faces and body parts from some ER doctor instead of having a good night and ordering a new brake lever from Yamaha the next morning.

Because of my bad judgement I almost injured someone that had placed their trust in me. That it turned out well doesn't really excuse a momentary lapse of reason.

Wiz, Prom: AB Ale would have been lethal! It's good stuff mind you and not because of the bike or the weather but because when I drink that stuff my alligator mouth starts to out talk my hummingbird... you get the picture, just like the one on the bottles; at least I start to think so after killing off a few of 'em.

Now, at home it's a different story. Lately I've been drinking Full Sail ale; not just three sheets to the wind but full sail!

And Wiz, don't start smoking now because of something I wrote! <chuckling>

xsilerating, I've owned and ridden way too many rice burners to pick on rice burners with a straight face.

Mike, at least this time it wasn't a whistling pine cone of death!
      Are you and/or Tom going to ride up?

Strom, after many years of scepticism and criticism brought about by working on fuel injected vehicles, I like fuel injection for my car.
      I will not have fuel injection on my bike where Murphy will make sure that when, not if, the computer fails it will do so while I'm on a high, sweeping, two-lane transition ramp with no shoulder and I'll get smunched into the guardrail by a hapless trucker or billiarded off into space by some yutz in a Yugo. For motorcycles, carburetors are the only way to go!

Regards,

Scott
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

When I go riding up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, it isn't the deer I worry about, though they do concern me...it's the freaking moose. I had a very large female walk right out in front of my car a few years back. Thank God I was quick on the brakes or my car would have been totalled.

Don
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Re: Which bar

Originally posted by planedick
          I lived in Parker, just downriver from Foxes, for 4 years. Spent lots of time in those bars on the river. Usually arriving and leaving by boat so there was no chance of getting a ticket for driving drunk as the river is patroled by the Coast Guard and they take their boat out of the water and stop patrolling at 10 PM. Most of the bars on the river were of the floating kind. One of the biggest and most popular was Rum Runners Retreat just upriver from me.
          It's a place called the Roadrunner. It's next to the main La Paz County Parks riverside day use/camping area across from the golf course and, yes, it's a floating bar!

I think we spent about 2 hours there eating, watching the sunset, singing "Happy Birthday" to the waittress and everything else so I wasn't even remotely concerned about having one beer before dinner.

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH
            When I go riding up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, it isn't the deer I worry about, though they do concern me...it's the freaking moose. I had a very large female walk right out in front of my car a few years back. Thank God I was quick on the brakes or my car would have been totalled.
            You know, I don't even want to think about moose. I almost hit one when I was up by the Peace Arch . The moose may not win but you will lose every time!

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

Roadrunner

Ah yes, I once lived in the only house in the trailer park there. I suppose it's all changed much since '68 - '72 when I was there. Drank enough beer there to sink the place if placed on the floor all at once. LOL Trick to docking and leaving there is matching the speed of the river flow so you are standing still and just move sideways into a docking position. Leaving the same way, but when the bartender holds the phone up and yells "PHONE", just as you are about to throttle up and drive away. So I do the docking manuever again and as I get tied up and go to the bar to take the call he says, "Oh, no call, I was just pointing out the phone to you". Grrrrr Dry sense of humor......... Maybe it's his way to see if you're too drunk to get home.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Scott, glad you are OK. I learned after a spill on a trip that my XJ levers are not stocked by most dealers, and aftermarket ones are few and far between. (The XJ clutch lever has a switch recess in it that triggers a circuit that keeps you from starting with the bike in gear and clutch engaged.) So now I carry a spare OEM brake and clutch lever. Also carry a spare oil filler plug, with O-ring, after loosing one on the ay home from Spearfish (South Dakota)one year.

As for the beer...I prefer dark brews to the lighter stuff. Ken Talbot had some dark beer from a local brewery in Revelstoke, BC that is pretty good!
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I tried to get into murphys law school but I didnt have the grades.
                  XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                  Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Okay, I like this new multi-quote feature. It's almost good enough to make me give up USENET and my newsreader - NOT!

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    Scott, glad you are OK. I learned after a spill on a trip that my XJ levers are not stocked by most dealers, and aftermarket ones are few and far between. (The XJ clutch lever has a switch recess in it that triggers a circuit that keeps you from starting with the bike in gear and clutch engaged.) So now I carry a spare OEM brake and clutch lever. Also carry a spare oil filler plug, with O-ring, after loosing one on the ay home from Spearfish (South Dakota)one year.
                    You know, I was looking at that XJ clutch lever when I was down in Parker ordering the new part. They told me my brake lever wasn't available but they'd looked up the XJ by mistake. Oops!

I do need to find some spares before I take off, to The Great White North!

As for the beer...I prefer dark brews to the lighter stuff. Ken Talbot had some dark beer from a local brewery in Revelstoke, BC that is pretty good!
                    I prefer dark beer but they were out of Guinness so MGD had to do. If you get the opportunity, the micro brewery up by Ed's place is most excellent!

Originally posted by ClarkGriswald View Post
                    I tried to get into murphys law school but I didnt have the grades.
                    <chuckling> I have several advanced degrees from Murphy's. As a matter of fact, it was just today that I discovered I have been accepted into the post-doctoral curriculum.
                    Oh, joy....

Regards,

Scott
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Working...
                    X