Oh Deer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Deer!

Well, things did not go according to plan so I'm still out in Aridzona helping a friend put a new engine in his 4X4.

Not being one to allow a minor technicality to get me down and having an XS1100, I took a short but exiliarating ride into the nearby town of Parker. As I pulled up to ye olde barre and grille on the river with a ladyfriend on the back of the bike and rolled smoothly to a gentle stop in the motorcycle parking area, my front brake lever snapped off at the bolt as she began her graceful dismount - not good but at least it happened in a parking lot instead of out on the highway whilst attempting to evade the odd blind rig pulling triple trailers.

I did not drop the bike nor roll it through the front window of the bar. Although she was wearing her brand-new tight-fitting leather riding pants for the first time, we were both rather foolishly sans helmets and jackets because of the heat. Not a problem. There is little or no traffic on Sunday night and it's just a short jaunt back home.

We went down to the river and ordered a beer (yes, a beer!) to go with the dinner special that had been carefully prepared in celebration of the birthday of one of the waitresses. We each enjoyed a delicious serving of prime rib that we could cut with the dull, disposable plastic forks. No knives were necessary.

After watching the spectacular sunset framed by the range of volcanic mountains just across the Colorado River and watching the boats and the people, I was extra careful heading back out of town with only the rear brake and the gears of the transmission to stop the bike.

Naturally, there was a sudden summer storm....

I slowed and maintained a comfortable speed of 45 MPH. The lightning was truly stupendous, striking directly along the side of and on the road in front of us and behind us, accompanied by gusting 35-45 MPH winds carrying blinding, heavy, clouds of dust that, at times, reduced visibility to the bike's headlight and precious little else.

The brilliant lightning strikes and rolling clouds of dust were, eventually, supplemented by bursts of heavy rain that also completely obscured the road, drenching the windshield and my glasses and further reducing my little remaining night vision to nothing but a soft, watery, blur. It was a very warm night so the rain was welcome even if the reduced visibility was not; refreshing us as it washed the dry, desert dust off of the bike and its passengers. Descending a narrow, winding, mountain pass while laughing and just generally enjoying ourselves and fording some rather substantial puddles of leftover rainwater, I flicked on the high beam.

A very startled four or five point buck leapt out from behind a ghost tree that was surrounded by a patch of mesquite.

Okay, we stopped laughing and I grabbed a handful air where that missing front brake lever used to be as I downshifted and applied the rear brake. The bike quite obligingly went into a immediate Superbowl Of Motocross slide as Bambi paused, briefly, on the road six feet in front of us before bounding off into the night. Deftly countersteering as we simultaneously shifted our weight to recover the bike from the slide and the terrified deer, we continued on our merry way home where we spent the rest of that highly envigorating evening enjoying one another's company and recounting the ride far into the night.

I ordered a new front brake lever from the local Yamaha shop this morning and, hopefully, it will be here Thursday afternoon so I can make it back to California and head up to the mid-coast rally. I love this bike. It handles well and we had a lot of fun on that ride.

Since we're still alive, next time the helmets and jackets are coming with us - I don't care about the stupid heat!

Regards,

Scott
    Last edited by 3Phase; 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

"What kind of beer did you order?"

(Just curious.)

Yeah, it's always the unexpected.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The Beer

MGD.
      -- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

ribbet ribbet BUDwiser ...........is still the king............
        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mstic2000
          ribbet ribbet BUDwiser ...........is still the king............
          LMAO! Last night I felt like the frog that got his tongue stuck to the delivery truck! I used to drink Bud but, alas, I can't drink rice beer any more because it gives me a headache.

I'm fortunate that my ladyfriend is an experienced rider. She moved right with me and allowed me to recover the bike instead of panicking and dropping us onto the road and the small mound of deer droppings that also suddenly (but not surprisingly) appeared in front of us....

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

Comment

oh my god! If ya can't drink the rice beer anymore I sure hope you didn't switch to the 100 proof vodka..............
            My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mstic2000
              oh my god! If ya can't drink the rice beer anymore I sure hope you didn't switch to the 100 proof vodka..............
              Nah, no Vodka for me. Depending on my mood and what's available: Old #7, Guinness, or MGD.

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Whew !! ... I think I need a cigarette

and I don't even smoke !! lol

Great story, well written with an ending that couldn't have been better. You write as well as you draw, thx for sharing .... one thing though ... gotta' tell ya' .... well, uhhh ... it's about the MGD ...."Fizzy Yellow Beer Is For Woosies". (Arrogant Bastard Ale motto)
                80G Mini-bagger
                VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Which bar

I lived in Parker, just downriver from Foxes, for 4 years. Spent lots of time in those bars on the river. Usually arriving and leaving by boat so there was no chance of getting a ticket for driving drunk as the river is patroled by the Coast Guard and they take their boat out of the water and stop patrolling at 10 PM. Most of the bars on the river were of the floating kind. One of the biggest and most popular was Rum Runners Retreat just upriver from me.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

"Thanks, Wiz..."

I yelled at my son....
                    (I had found MGD in the 'fridge)
                    "What are you, a Philistine ?"
                    Thus began his wonderous, educational journey into the world of good beer... (at my expense, naturally)

I know.. I know.. I got in trouble a few months back for making fun of someone's beer.
                    Tough!
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Gosh, Prom ..

hope I don't get in trouble ... I'm just goofin'. Truth be known ..
                      I never met a beer I didn't like ...:
                      80G Mini-bagger
                      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I got in trouble a few months back for making fun of someone's beer.
                        So... the overly sweet, exoticly French named, Canadian made CRAP that you bought... was better?!?

Sorry, friends to the north... but even PRO can't say this stuff wasn't bad and keep from getting a bitter beer face...

It's the thought that counts though.. *Rolling eyes..

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Glad you survived

Hi Scott,,,,glad you survived. I think you have at least a dozen lives with all the stuff you have been through. Hope to see you at another calif. rally. Tom, the test bike dummy, that rode my free midnight special up to the Yosemite rally, just bought a nice 79'xs1100 that looks exactly like yours, up in Reseda, Ca.. It needs a little work but runs like a fricckin' beast. He is a happy camper and well indoctrinated into the xs1100 adrenalin, old bike lovin' clan. See you soon, Mike in San Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase

LMAO!... / / I used to drink Bud but, alas, I can't drink rice beer any more because it gives me a headache. / /

Regards,

Scott
                            Thank God that ridin' a 'rice burner' doesn't have the same effect !
                            1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                            1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                            1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                            1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                            2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Well, since the fuel pump on my guzzi crapped out (before you flame the wop bike - fuel pump was bosch), I decided to register the XS11 again. I had to take it for a spin anyway and it would prolly be cheaper than the darn pump.

OK, one thing I noticed.. for you technical lot: I miss some torques. Prolly didnt have them from the time I got this bike, but still... it should pull off better than a guzzi cruizer or an 81 wing!!! But it doesnt. WTF?

Anyway, im trying to save up some money for vacation, I decided to visit a local auto parts store for the damn pump. Original cost bout 50 euros, so how much could a fake be?

But since things almost never go according to plan, my car battery died. Well, time for a new battery too then I guess.

I took dads car to go to work and get the fuel pump and a new battery for the car. I didnt take my XS since I have to pick up my gf later in the day and she usually doesnt go to work with a helmet/jacket.

Car battery... NP, 89 euros, a bit better than the old one and 2yr warranty. Not too bad.
                              Fuel pump for the guzzi... 150 euros. WTF? Original is cheaper... but since it takes longer to get it from italy, I just bought a fake and hope it will work longer (42 kkm on the meter when old one died).
                              XS11 registration.... 70 euros. Eh well, I hope I have some beer money left over for vacation... or SWMBO will kill me lol

So... todays top tip: Get a guzzi, strip off all electronic stuff and injection and fuel pumps and crap... install dellorto 40s and dont worry bout it ever again.
                              Or just ride the XS
                              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                              X