No announcement yet.

150mph cop chase...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow....this thread really has changed my mind about most of the XS11 crowd! It appears most of you are miscreants who have had run-ins with the police and have very bitter resentment toward their efforts to do their jobs.

One must remember that the police don't know you from Adam, therefore they are trained to address each situation as if it could become deadly until they can correctly assess the situation. It is logical to me to assume that if someone is engaging the police in a high-speed pursuit, the police then need to consider this person as possibly dangerous to them and the public (just being in a high-speed chase is dangerous to the police and public). Should the police abandon the chase and use radios instead to call ahead? Maybe, but if the suspect has a police-band radio in his car that won't work.

Bottom line is if you act like an azz, they're more than happy to treat you like you act.

I am 50, been driving for 32 years, riding bikes on the road for 30 years, and have never been treated rudely by police in four different states I have been stopped in. I have received two tickets in my driving lifetime, deserved them both, and neither of them resulted in rude behavior. Why? Because I treated the officers as human beings trying to do their jobs, treated them with respect and candor. I didn't kiss their butts, they didn't indicate they wanted me to. But I treated them with the respect they deserve because, while they have me stopped, they also could be facing some nutjob an hour later who could easily harm me or someone else, but the police are there to protect us, even though they don't know who we are and many of those they are protecting don't appreciate it.

Everyone thinks they are innocent, but no one realizes the police officer has no idea who you are. They have to go on what they can see and read of the situation before them. There are ALWAYS 2 sides to every story, and many times the poor innocent tends to conveniently leave out certain little details that just might show the real situation. So far the folks who have been cop-bashing here seem to have quite a history with said no-goods....

I'm not saying that all police are holier than thou, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than lumping all of them into cowards and liars, just as I have lumped you into miscreants.

For the record, I am not a police officer, have never been a police officer, could never be a police officer. I am also not related to any police officers and have never been in the military. The MC club I belong to, The Venturers MC, does have its share of current and retired LEOs, many that I have met over the years. I just have a very high regard for Police, Firefiighters, and the Military because they put their lives on the line to assure my azz is safe and my world is comfortable, because I am unable to do so for myself.

It's all about attitude....
    BobE
    Richmond, RI
    1980 XS1100G - "The Old Coot"

PREVIOUS RIDES
    2005 Venture, 1993 Venture, 1983 Venture
    1978 Gold Wing, 1983 Gold Wing
    1975 CB500T, 1983 Husqvarna 250WR
    1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5
    1981 CB900F, 1965 C200 (Honda 90)
    1968 Powell Challenger (Hairy-Chested Mini-bike)

Comment

Wow....this thread really has changed my mind about most of the XS11 crowd! It appears most of you are miscreants who have had run-ins with the police and have very bitter resentment toward their efforts to do their jobs.
      Well,

I have always said the toughest thing a man ever goes through is finding out who his friends "really" are.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I have received two tickets in my driving lifetime
        See.. you don't have enough experience to form an opinion!

My driving record is clean now for many years, but that sure doesn't mean I haven't deserved one the way I ride sometimes. There's really no way of knowing, but I've probably had 50-100 tickets in my life with as many or more warnings. I have been professionally treated by most, and had to exit the car at gunpoint by others... for speeding?? lol. For any of you who drive the streets in the tacoma/Seattle area.. you can thank me since I probably paid for about half those roads!

I also know that the majority of arrests, traffic stops, etc are filmed by the police themselves as well as the surrounding public where it seems everyone has a camera on their phone. 99.9% of the time, things go the way they should.. but that isn't what you see on Youtube. I also know that there's no way I would want to be the one who has to do a traffic stop late at night and not know if the tinted windows on the car are hiding a little old lady, or a felon on the run who's armed and been smoking crack all day.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Forced into action..."

Ya know... as a moderator, I was content to just sit back and watch the show.
          What a varied expression of opinions we have, (which is OK)
          Sadly, someone's now expressed an view quite radical and it forces me to step in and comment.
          Wow....this thread really has changed my mind about most of the XS11 crowd! It appears most of you are miscreants who...
          Yes, Bob...
          With the internet being the impersonal and anonymous place that it is...
          I try not to judge people, nor form quick, unfounded opinions of "Who I think they really are".
          In fairness to the individual, I try to withhold my judgement of their character till I have sufficient information gathered...
          It's so much easier when they help!
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Yes, Ivan, I quite agree...
            It's often an eye opening experience to find out just "who" your friends really are.

Comment

miscreants

*Raising hand....

Ummmm.. That would be me!

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

And you guys missed my pont entirely....

I really don't think of you folks as being miscreants. I was merely trying to show how easy it is to label people as a group, like another did in this thread regarding police officers. I am trying to show that there are two sides to every story. One father discusses his daughter forced to tears after being stopped, but he doesn't happen to remember the whole details, such as how his daughter may have addressed the officer to begin with. I'm not saying she did anything wrong, but don't talk about how mean the cop was without giving the whole story. Maybe he was, maybe he sensed something negative from the daughter that the daughter neglected to tell the father about. Did the father ever talk to the officer and get his take on it, as well as finding out why the officer was so mean? We don't know at this point.

But, it seems interesting that Prom doesn't step in until he sees a post as radical, that being mine because I stuck up for the police....that tells me that it is okay to bash the police in general, which was going on here in a few posts, but the one post made that says we're miscreants requires intervention from the moderator?

Sorry for offending you folks, but you need to step back and take a deep insightful look at yourselves before you go blaming the police for everything. If you did, I imagine you might find there are legitimate reasons why they may have done whatever they did. When I read someone stating that ALL police are this or that, that sends up a red flag for me.

Then, there are those LEOs on an ego trip, but I have found those very few and far between. And I have been stopped many times, but only received two tickets, TRbig!
                BobE
                Richmond, RI

PREVIOUS RIDES
                1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5

Comment

"Bob... you wound me, sir!"

You are incorrect in your assessment and have missed my point.
                  Do me the small favor, and go back and reread my posting... first, putting yourself into the cynical and sarcastic frame of mind in which I usually dwell.
                  I think you will then get my meaning.

Comment

Well Prom,

I guess I have misunderstood something....what, I'm not quite sure...sorry for being so thick here....

I took your post as chiding me for seeming to pass judgement on the XS crowd....I take it that's not what you are doing?

Is it possible that you are saying that I am trying to look at the issues from both sides, which is what I try to do, and you might possibly, in the remotest sense of the word, agree with me?
                    BobE
                    Richmond, RI

PREVIOUS RIDES
                    1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5

Comment

"I live in a bubble, and am quite content there."

Well, your post did make a blanket statement regarding XS owners. But that still wasn't my point
                      (Then again, it's a rather large blanket which a lot of miscreants can sleep under)
                      I tend to judge character by men's actions, and one of those actions is in whom he chooses to associate with.
                      How best to illustrate...?
                      Let's say for the moment, that I have decided to give up my hermit-like existance and to widen my circle of acquaintances.
                      Obviously, I would seek out others similar to myself.
                      Now then... I'm neither on parole nor probation, nor a drunkard, nor a wife beater... and as far as interactions with the local constabulary, to quote Alexander deLarge, "I've been out of the rookers of the millicents for quite some time".
                      So... out of the twenty people who've responded to this thread, some possably could be rightfully labelled miscreants and scofflaws... whom should I choose to associate with?
                      Oh, it's a hard decision... how ever can I weed out the riff-raff?
                      I don't really know these people personally... I can only judge them by what they tell me about themselves.
                      Oft' times, it's quite telling.

That was my point, Bob.

Comment

"I'm neither on parole nor probation," Because they think you're still institutionalized.

"nor a drunkard," Because you're too cheap to get into the cigarette money for it.

"nor a wife beater..." Ummm.. Would require a wife?

*Sliding out another chair.. Have a seat, my miscreant friend!

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by BobE

such as how his daughter may have addressed the officer to begin with. I'm not saying she did anything wrong, but don't talk about how mean the cop was without giving the whole story. Maybe he was, maybe he sensed something negative from the daughter that the daughter neglected to tell the father about.

I think this explains a lot of the attitude from people here, that you seem to not grasp BobE. So what if she didn't speak to him 'nicely' enough, that is no justification for anyone to abuse a child, especially while standing there with a gun on his hip. And 'sensing' something negative? Sorry BobE, but I really don't believe that one person's 'sensing' something justifies anything, let alone stand over bully boy tactics.

Here in Aus nearly all the state police forces have had Royal Commissions (the most serious form of investigation here) into curruption over the last 20 odd years, and Royal Commissions are only called in this country when the evidence is so overwhelming that politicians have no choice but to set them up. The resulting evidence demonstrated that while maybe 10% of the police forces at most were involved in serious corruption, virtually all offices knew of, indeed even witnessed, it. That makes them all corrupt, they've been turning a blind eye to their colleagues corruption. It really is that simple. There are significant numbers of offices in EVERY state in Australia at this moment facing trials for corruption, gangland activity involvement, drug dealing, interfering with police investigations, paedophilia, murder, rape etc etc. Over here we really can validly say ACAB.

And I don't think that the situation here in Aus is in anyway unique, maybe more serious than places in the US but certainly not different enough to be unique.

You keep your head down and toe the line (2 tickets in how many years?) and therefore have had no negative experiences, but are you really in a position to be commenting on something which you have such little experience of.

PS I agee wih you on one point, I am a miscreant. I mean, I'm a highly security cleared Govt IT consultant, was an international trade policy advisor prior to that, and a nurse with disabled children prior to that. But you're right, I am the demon geek nuse from hell eh mate
                          Last edited by strippedFJ; 08-31-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I am the XSive demon geek nuse from hell eh mate

I always suspected that Crocodile Dundee was a wossee (never saw him on an XS)

originally posted by Prom
                            Obviously, I would seek out others similar to myself.
                            I don't know dude....
                            I look for (or at least at) persons of the female persuasion

mro

Comment

"Wow....this thread really has changed my mind about most of the XS11 crowd! It appears most of you are miscreants who have had run-ins with the police and have very bitter resentment toward their efforts to do their jobs."

I'm 46 been driving for 30, had a motorcycle licence before I had a car licence.

I've had 5 licence suspensions, One for almost outrunning the police when I was 17, the others for demerit points, when the police were targetting my car and handing out stunting tickets (6 demerits) for things like stopping too fast, or pulling over too fast after being pulled over 3 times in 15 minutes.

Before you say I deserved the hassle, keep in mind, that when I changed cars I was never pulled over again.

I've had 5 tickets in the last 20 years. 1 the speed zone sign was hidden by weeping willows, 2 were cancelled, 1 was reduced to $10 and the last I was pulled over at 120kph in a 110 zone (where the police normally won't bother you up to 125kph or so) because someone else had outrun the police the weekend before in the same type of car. After her big dive through the median, and huge display of disregard for public property, she really had no choice but to write me a $50 ticket.

I've driven in 7 provinces, and at least a dozen states on several occassions and have never been pulled over anywhere outside of Alberta.

I know several police and they are decent enough people, but even then they laugh about how THEY don't follow speed limits or any of the things they ticket us for.

If you want to talk about attitude, if I get a polite officer, I am polite back, however, more often than not, they are the rude ones.

Any cop that can't ignore rudeness shouldn't be a cop. They have to expect that people will be upset, mostly with themselves, and often because they truly aren't sure why they were pulled over. Either way, it's not germane to the situation.

I am always worried about being pulled over, at night, when I am alone. They can do whatever the hell they want, and you'd be screwed.

I've also never said ALL or even MOST cops are bad, just the rotten few, and that's too many.
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

?

Comment

Working...
                                X