Why I've ridden oh, ten miles or so this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I've ridden oh, ten miles or so this year

This sucks. I rode down route 46 a few miles then back again, probably back in April. As a general rule, I try to live my life and make decisions that won't engender despair when I look back. I'm not always successful, but I think I do pretty well with it, all things considered. Yet I've been saying the serenity prayer to myself every time I see the Falcon in the garage this year. All while the little voices in my head are spitefully whispering all the circumstances that seem to have eliminated so many opportunities to ride. So here's at least a partial list: 1) New job in January. Thought it was a great opportunity, turned out to be a wretched experience with zero appreciation of personal contribution and a supervisor who was actually looking for a slave and/or indentured servant. 2) New job in July. It's turning out to be the opportunity that I thought the previous job was. But there's travel involved, my scheduled work hours are 7-5 and often exceed a fifty hour week. 3) The house. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I love our house. But every project swells and grows and mutates into something much more involved than intended. It's like "The Blob". Can't forget the yard, the landscaping, fixing the mower after trying to cut a large rock in two, etc. 4) The car. Nothing is perfect, but my wife's 2005 Scion TC had a water pump go. There's another weekend down. Two other weekends went by while I removed the brake calipers, cleaned up the castings and painted them. They look great, but where the !@#$% did my two weekends go!? 5) The beer. As I consume large amounts of adult beverages while working on projects and getting depressed about not riding I wind up ensuring that I can't ride. And yes, 6) the Falcon. Needs new battery. Bought an AGM online because nobody carries them locally. Chalk up another 10 days of kickstand time. Needed a new rear brake piston. Call it 7 days of collecting dust in the garage. And now here I sit, typing my tales of lamentation and woe. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change things I can...
    Quit whining, you sniveling little brat.
    18.42%
    Well it kinda sucks, but s**t happens.
    18.42%
    You could have been riding instead of drinking.
    31.58%
    There are still months left before the snow flies. Ride now.
    31.58%
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Tommy,

The best therapy is right there resting on it's kickstand. Get crackin' on those repairs and get ridin' as soon as you can.

Comment

The best therapy

What Randy said

mro

Comment

I'm already on it My wife is out of town for a week, which means I'm relieved of dinner prep duty. On goes the caliper, then a quick ( but hopefully halfway decent) paint job. I guess it was hitting me pretty hard as it was my fifth anniversary on the forum last Sunday.
        2010 Kawasaki Z1000
        1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

That's why I like to keep a couple bikes in reserve. I always have SOMETHING running....

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
          1969 Yamaha DT1B
          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Ya know, Tom, you can ride without paint! It may have more aerodynamic drag, but it'll stiil go!

Comment

I can relate, that was the way it was for me this spring. Tranny fix, then bent valves, got the bike running 2 days before leaving for Yosemite. On return, oil leak fix. Commute with SWMBO 3 days a week, other days always seem to have chores that required the car. Bike has sat a lot this year. With gas over $4.00 per gallon I've not taken the recreational riding trips on weekends as I have done in the past.

Net result is that I've put fewer miles on the XJ this year (around 3,800 miles so far) than I have for a while. My hope is that conditions will improve this fall and I'll be able to do more commuting on the bike than has been the case so far. Not as much fun as recreational riding, but at least it gets me on the bike.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

As the gas cost got higher, I began commuting more on the bike. Not as much as I'd like, though. It's a delicate balance between weather and meetings. If I have to go into Manhattan for a meeting I need wheels and there is no easy way to park a bike there, most garages won't have 'em unless they're monthly parkers. There are some free spaces there, but no way I'm leaving my bike on the street in NYC!

Comment

I ride a motorcycle to work everyday that I am not traveling. That's a minimum of three days a week, 25 miles one way. Parking is one of the best reasons to ride. Here in Austin you can park a motorcycle pretty much anywhere it doesn't impede traffic. I park on sidewalks, on striped off areas of parking lots, even on the street between small cars at meters. I have never gotten a ticket although I work in the heavily patrolled downtown area, and I get better spots even than handicapped drivers.

It's pretty sweet.

Patrick
                  The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                  1969 Yamaha DT1B
                  Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I vote on the "Quit your sivelling!!" lol In the time it took you to type up your rant... you could have been several miles down the road! Go get parts with the bike.. Hell, go get BEER with the bike. Any excuse to keep the bearings working and the oil and grease moving a bit. A five mile rountrip on a bike...while not a road trip... is still time on the bike!

Now get your azz from behind the computer screen... and get it behind a windscreen!

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Re: Why I've ridden oh, ten miles or so this year

Originally posted by tommystinson
                      This sucks. I rode down route 46 a few miles then back again, probably back in April. As a general rule, I try to live my life and make decisions that won't engender despair when I look back. I'm not always successful, but I think I do pretty well with it, all things considered. Yet I've been saying the serenity prayer to myself every time I see the Falcon in the garage this year. All while the little voices in my head are spitefully whispering all the circumstances that seem to have eliminated so many opportunities to ride. So here's at least a partial list: 1) New job in January. Thought it was a great opportunity, turned out to be a wretched experience with zero appreciation of personal contribution and a supervisor who was actually looking for a slave and/or indentured servant. 2) New job in July. It's turning out to be the opportunity that I thought the previous job was. But there's travel involved, my scheduled work hours are 7-5 and often exceed a fifty hour week. 3) The house. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I love our house. But every project swells and grows and mutates into something much more involved than intended. It's like "The Blob". Can't forget the yard, the landscaping, fixing the mower after trying to cut a large rock in two, etc. 4) The car. Nothing is perfect, but my wife's 2005 Scion TC had a water pump go. There's another weekend down. Two other weekends went by while I removed the brake calipers, cleaned up the castings and painted them. They look great, but where the !@#$% did my two weekends go!? 5) The beer. As I consume large amounts of adult beverages while working on projects and getting depressed about not riding I wind up ensuring that I can't ride. And yes, 6) the Falcon. Needs new battery. Bought an AGM online because nobody carries them locally. Chalk up another 10 days of kickstand time. Needed a new rear brake piston. Call it 7 days of collecting dust in the garage. And now here I sit, typing my tales of lamentation and woe. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change things I can...
                      well you are a good writer... and don't worry you'll work it all out, there's always the next day to do it right, what ever is right for you.
                      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I have a strict rule. No beer before ride. Thats not to say I haven't decided to have a cold adult beverage, say after cutting the lawn or some other chore, that has kept me off the bike but it was a choice I made. We all have to live with the choices we make. So make the ride choice and get out there! There's always time for a brew when you get home and you are getting the road dirt and bugs off your baby
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

go ride

Tommy...all that you wrote abt is water under the bridge...the only thing that truly matters is the here and now...here you are now go ride
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Right on.... er, Ride on

Originally posted by wingnut
                            I have a strict rule. No beer before ride... / /the choices we make. So make the ride choice and get out there! There's always time for a brew when you get home and you are getting the road dirt and bugs off your baby
                            Couldn't have said it better myself
                            1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                            1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                            1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                            1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                            2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

If it runs good and is safe.... ride...cosmetics and other crap can wait till winter.

Had to pick up a few things from the hardware store...10 minute trip in truck...nope....I'll take the bike...go to the other store at the farrrrr end of town....9 year old son on the back. Took the long way there and back....we were out for over an hour.

The lawn only grew a thousandth of a inch.....the deck hardly faded.......but the smile on my kid's face and his laugh when I laid rubber in the garage, locking the back brake, coming home..is something you can't ever get back.
                              Ernie
                              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X