Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My butt is sore just thinking about

One reason I seldom go on group rides.
    Generally like to take a small break every hour or so.
    But even with all my stops will still log around 20,000 miles this year.

mro

Comment

If I was looking for a '79 and saw this one and could get it for $200 or less I would, as a parts bike, and still keep looking for one worthy of a resto. While looking for the right one, which I know I would find eventually, I would start on the parts bike, taking stock of its real condition. (parts or possible rebuild)
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Here you go

Saw this first thing(I've been looking around for you a bit). Put up last night, no responses yet to it.
        Member Yamdaha has posted in the bikes for sale a 78 E; 20k; $800. He's in North Carolina, a day trip away.
        Good luck.
        80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
        79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

To the OP, I'd take a pass on that bike. Possibly at the end of riding season, one in better condition will pop up on ebay or somewhere.

Don
          currently own;
          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by egsols
            If I was looking for a '79 and saw this one and could get it for $200 or less I would, as a parts bike, and still keep looking for one worthy of a resto. While looking for the right one, which I know I would find eventually, I would start on the parts bike, taking stock of its real condition. (parts or possible rebuild)
            I offered the guy $200 thinking I could use it as a parts bike if I couldn't get it going but he thinks its worth way more than that. He has my phone# and e-mail address if he changes his mind.
            79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
            79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
            79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Re: Here you go

Originally posted by CarolynS
              Saw this first thing(I've been looking around for you a bit). Put up last night, no responses yet to it.
              Member Yamdaha has posted in the bikes for sale a 78 E; 20k; $800. He's in North Carolina, a day trip away.
              Good luck.
              Thanks for looking out for me. I really appreciate it. I shot Yamdaha a PM. Maybe something will come of it
              79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box

Comment

That would be good

Keepin' it in the 'Fam'.
                I'll look around some other places too.
                You're sort of in the boat I was in when I first started on this journey-budget, some auto mechanical experience, etc.
                I wouldn't have changed my experiences thus far one bit! It has all been worth it and I'd do it again in a minute.
                I'll keep looking.
                Any excuse to shop...
                80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
                79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Go for it!

Hi Olds,
                  I paid a grand for a non-runner and it didn't cost me much to actually get it to go. It could be the chrome will perk up with oily steel wool and the paint with rubbing compound. In most cases a 10 year parked bike will get it's compression back after running a while. Go round there with a trailer and as few C-notes as you think the guy will accept and tell him sh1t or get off the pot.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Now you have me thinking. That could be my old 79. I sold it to a guy in that area back in 81 and other than the after market exhaust it was equipped with a king/queen sissy bar and luggage rack. Was it the black with red metal flake paint that Yamaha did back then? But you are right to walk away. 200 for a non runner in that condition is far if he has paper for it. No title its a 100 dollar partser. Maryland DMV is a PITA to deal with. If he comes to his senses on its price buy it and the group will get you running and riding.
                    wingnut
                    81 SH (Daily Ride)
                    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut
                      Now you have me thinking. That could be my old 79. Was it the black with red metal flake paint that Yamaha did back then?
                      It is black but there was so much crud on it that I couldn't tell about the metal flake. Also it was in a garage with no electricity. Even with the garage door open there was poor lighting. He said he has a clean title to it, although I didn't ask to see it because we couldn't agree on a price. I e-mailed him yesterday that my $200 offer stands and that he can contact me if he changes his mind. I haven't heard back.

Comment

For the condition that you describe the bike to be in I think $200 would too much. $100 would be a it rven if it was to be a partser. Carolyn, what part of nc is the bike you found in. Although I can look at the window and see WV i can get to the Greensboro and Elkin-Statesville area in 2 hours. Have several freinds and kin in those areas and could look at its condition.
                        POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
                        THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
                        1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Working...
                        X