Should I or shouldn't I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I or shouldn't I

I have been looking for a decent 79 XS1100SF for a while but haven't found "the one." Everything I was finding was too far away or a POS or too expensive. I just got a call from a guy 10 miles away from me who has a 79 that hasn't run in 10 years but looks ok appearance-wise.......NOT what I was looking for. However, I am considering it. I don't have a tremendous amount of mechanical ability/experience but at least know which end of a screwdriver to hold. I have been all over this forum looking for tips etc. I like the idea of bringing something back from the dead but I'm not certain if I'll be getting in over my head or not. I guess I could always part it out if it came down to it. Somebody talk some sense into me.
    79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
    79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
    79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Come oooon, come oooooooooon, you know you want one.

If you have the time and patience, think of the pride you will get from reviving a mechanical marvel from the late '70s. If the price is right, I say go for it.

Like you said, if it gets too much, someone here will take it off your hands.

As far a talking sense, isn't that what the SWMBOs are for?
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

How much does he want for a bike that has sat for 10 years and will not run? Whats the mileage?

As you have read, nothing has happened to these bikes that has not been addressed here and everyone is willing to share information. Sitting for 10 years you can figure on the triple clean of the carbs, complete overhaul of the brake systems, fork seals, tires, battery and some wiring issues and maybe the 2nd gear fix. Fuel tank may be rusted out. Does the engine turn over? Check the tech tips on what to look for in a used XS. Then you have to decide if you want to take on such a project. It is a labor of love with periods of total disgust and frustration. If you do not already do it, you will take up smoking and drinking. BUT, when your done, and you come back after dialing in about 8k on the tach for the first time, it will all be worth it. Fact is, after that first ride, you will grab a chair, lite one up, crack a beer, shake you head and go, "sun of a beach, that bike is killer!!" I have had mine well over 15 years, and I still do.
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I haven't even seen the bike yet...just talked to the guy on the phone today. He said he didn't have a $$ amount in mind. Said come on over and take a look and make an offer if interested. He didn't remember the mileage - said somewhere around 20K?? Doesn't know if it will turn over. He responded to MY wanted add on craigslist. I guess that's why he didn't have many answers..either that or he's hiding something.
        79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box

Comment

I got in over my head

And I'm not sorry.
          Depending on why it won't run, and how much he wants for it, getting in over your head could be the best thing that ever happened to you.
          I started with one, got another, put the two into one with a ton of extra parts for the future. I learned alot, got a little heartbroken, made some great friends here, suffered some withdrawal and was rewarded with bringing her home with another 30 years of time for her to run the roads, as the engine is almost like new now.
          I could sell it for a profit tomorrow-but I couldn't part with it. After all of the effort building our little 'relationship', I now want to enjoy it for years to come.
          Find out what's wrong with it, post it here, see what the Guru's have to say about cost, mechanical abilities, etc that you are looking at. Then make your decision.
          I think you already made the decision awhile ago(you HAVE been looking around). No matter what, you're going to end up fixing the bike, even if it's turn key in the beginning. Why not start with one that needs some TLC? You'll know every nut and bolt by the time your done.
          Just my 2 cents...
          80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
          79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

I finally went to see the bike today. It was in a musty-smelling detached garage, uncovered and unloved for 10 years. Just under 12k miles. Surface rust everywhere. All chrome would need to be re-dipped. Engine didn't want to turn over by hand at first. Eventually got it to move but didn't feel like too much compression after I got things moving?? Tank was a bit rusty inside but not too bad...nothing a little kreem couldn't cure. The paint was pretty well oxidized on the outside of the tank but might clean up ok. Whole outside of the engine/trans is very oxidized. No battery at all and no way to tell if anything electrical actually works. Fuse panel had been bypassed by a bunch of in-line fuses. Trans was difficult to shift. Side covers were missing but the owner said he had both of them "somewhere." Has original seat (off of the bike), which is pretty well torn up. Original grab bar is long gone. Has an aftermarket king/queen seat on it which is in fair condition. Also has sissy bar/luggage rack on back. Both are chrome which is fairly rusted/pitted. Rear springs/shocks rusted. Ignition lock and gas tank lock are difficult to turn due to who knows what falling inside for 10 years. Aftermarket Kerker exhaust in ok condition. Has service manual. I told the owner that in its current condition, I would only be able to offer him a couple hundred bucks. He said he thinks it is worth much more than that. Am I wrong? What do you guys think something like this is worth? Didn't take a camera with me. No pics.
            Last edited by 65oldsboy; 07-31-2008, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Pass on it

From what you describe, and what his response was, walk away.
              The wiring alone could be a disaster-no telling why they did all those other fuses.
              It sounds like it is a complete disaster. I'm all for resurrecting something, but you said you're not super mechanical, and what you've said about it sounds like more than a bottle of Marvel mystery oil and a socket set to fix.
              Go the other way around-How much do you have(not want)to spend? Find the best possible specimen for that amount and not one dollar more. The fact that this PO didn't even have a battery in it so you could check the wiring, much less have the bike complete(sidecovers)tells me to run-don't walk-away from this one.
              80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
              79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

I would not give him over $200 for it, as you described it. It's best asset is it's low mileage, if it is accurate. It might make a good parts bike.

A little more money could bag you a much better bike.
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

You shouldn't!

Unless you want to completely disassemble the bike and rebuild/restore it.

If you are looking for something to ride and tinker with, that ain't the bike for you!

Good luck in your search, there's one out there waiting for you I'm sure!

Cheers,
                  Paul
                  Paul
                  1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                  1979 XS1100 Standard
                  1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Go for it!! You already have the love which will make the process that much more enjoyable. We are here to help with the technical stuff. All you need are some tools and the desire.
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

10 years after....

With NO major problems....
                      Sitting 10 years you will need to invest at least 3/400 bucks to get it on the road, then the cosmetics will cost what ever you want to spend.

mro

Comment

Looks like 4 against 1 or 5 against 1 if you count me. At least I took a look. It only makes me want to find "the one" even more. Maybe I should change my username from "65oldsboy" to "still lookin".

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot. Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

Comment

My post be neutral as what an XS is worth....
                            goes from free to a possible $10,000 +

Could always just fly in and ride home one of my XSes and would guaranty it as far as the state line...but would not be as cheep as getting a local fixer-upper.

mro

Comment

My butt is sore just thinking about riding from California to Maryland.

Comment

Working...
                              X