And now for my 15 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now for my 15 minutes

After many months of reading posts and looking at everyones pictures, I'm going to share mine.

This was at the dealer. I went in looking for a Shadow, and when I saw this bike I changed my mind. So I took her home, stripped her down and started fixing her back up.
    Thanks to all of you here, (yes, even you Prom) and all of the fantastic information, I have a bike that seems to draw people even amongst all the newer, fancy bikes.

I can't thank you all enough for all of the help and info that you have given me. It has saved me countless hours of work and money because I am just a novice mechanic, and I would have had to go to professional (can you say $$$$) without all your knowledge.

Well, SWMBO wants to go for a ride, so we're off......
    Jon
    '80 XS11 SG "My Serenity"

Good looking ride man, nice work . Have a nice day and ride safe.
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Now that's a clean looking Special. Tell us a bit more about those passenger floorboards...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

No doubt!

Very nice!

Good eye Ken... I didn't even see those... I'd like to have some of those myself so my passengers don't keep leaving their marks on my pipes....
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

The floorboards were one of the many additions or replacements that I have thanks to e-bay. They were actually for an early 80's goldwing, but they fit pretty well after a bit of parts inter-changing. SWMBO loves them, and the kids feel much more secure with them on.
          The rack on the back came with the bike, but I had to buy two other racks to get enough parts for the back rest and pad. Now it can slide back for passenger or forward for driver.

It came with a full fairing on it, but it is cracked in a few places and needs repaired (any ideas???), so I removed it. So I had to buy headlight bucket, brackets, lamp and all new turn signals.

It didnt have a speedo cable when I got it, so back to ebay I went, and since I was there I picked up a 140 mph speedometer as well.

Bought a windshield and 1983 goldwing GL1100 handlebars to help relieve the pain in my wrists and arms.

Bought forks and used parts from both to make one good set and then added a fork brace.
          And then I decided to replace all the fluids..........ever heard, if it ain't broke???? Well, two master cylinder kits later, front and back, I can stop again. (Thanks TucmanXJ for the pictorial) Now I have to replace brake pads because I got brake fluid on them.
          Next comes SS brake lines and a brighter headlight. Wish me luck!
          Jon
          '80 XS11 SG "My Serenity"

Comment

Clean machine! Very very nice.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

You've done some great work there. Glad to see a pic with the goldwing bars. I've been thinking about picking some up lately. Guess I'm off to the salvage yard to see what they have.
              1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
              1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
              1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Working...
              X