Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In case anyone was wondering whatever happened to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal

Carolyn about your turn signals not working check the connections inside the turn signal switch too.... weakest link in the system IMHO

I had a problem where all the solder joints inside had come off....... no breakdown in any of the documentation to tell me where which wire goes, so I just played and played with my multimeter and the switch and found 'em all....

with the slide (turn signal switch) facing up this is what you see on the circuit board ......
    ----_____
    ___I_\_/_I__

---- \ \ '

--- ' . .

so if we count from top left to right we'll label 'em (inside the block)

\=1
    \=2
    '=3
    '=4
    .=5
    .=6

1 - green at the top end of slash
    2 - nothing .... IIRC it may have been the only wire still connected
    3 - Brown
    4 - purple
    5 - brown/yellow
    6 - brown/white

It's been awhile and I did have the sense to write this in the back of my Clymer's

special notes for cheesy block diagram

1) disregard the ----- in three places it was the only way I could get things to line up like you'd see 'em

2) you have to imagine for yourself a soild line running top to bottom on the right

and....
    3)
    ______
    I_\_/_I at the top is the slide

sorry for the bad block diagram but it isn't, so far as I could find, in any documentation anywhere...

Careful soldering inside and my turn signals work as advertised.
    It was kinda tough to get the wires soldered while holding everything in one spot (I did this on the bike) on a bench it should be easier. I had to use some silicone dialectric compound (DC4, John) to help my slide work smoothly, as it had stopped having the ability to push the button to cancel. tooooo dry.

If anyone knows where this is in any book let me know.....
    Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
    S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
    1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Yes, I was wondering what had happened to you Carolyn!

Thanks for the update!

Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks Dale. Now I know where to start after everything's clean and uncorroded(is that a word?!).
        Can't wait!
        80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
        79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Bad ground

Check the flat braided ground wires at the turn signal sockets where they connect to the housing. Mine got corroded and fuse would blow if I used brake and turn signal at the same time.

'course I spent a LOT of time looking for a bare wire before someone told me.

Brent
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

The latest....

Dropped off the cam chain last night. Ed had some questions about the bike.
            First, the head from the 79 looks like you-know-what. He wanted to know if I wanted it bead-blasted to clean it up. That sounded expensive, but he says he has a friend that has a new machine and will probably do it for free. Ed doesn't know how much it costs because he's never had to pay anyone to do it-they always just let him use the machine for nothing-Cool. I told him whatever he thinks is best for the bike, go ahead and do it. Just try to keep the work within budget.
            He showed me that one of the valves in the 79 head was starting to burn-run too tight, he says. Noone ever adjusted the valves. Is this a common problem, or is everyone just lazy? He'll look around for a replacement valve today. I told him I could order one if we need to. We can't use any of the 80 valves-they're all bent.
            He showed me the engine. It has been completely cleaned and degreased. All the cyclinder walls look good as well as the pistons and rings. Once the head is ready, it will be almost like a new motor. I said 'almost'.
            He's repairing the fork seals, one's leaking profusely. He wanted to know if while he has them apart if I want the bottoms to take home to polish? Also the fairing can come right off and be painted. I said, 'Woo-Hoo!' You bet! He'll call when they're ready to pick up. He's also going to find caps for the air valves on the tops of the forks so we can cap them off and be able to lower the bike that much further.
            He says at least another month he'll be working on it. I told him that's absolutely fine with me. All the time he needs. I don't care if I only get to ride it in the Fall for a couple of weeks. It will be worth it.
            Did I say I love this guy?
            79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Just got off the blower....

Ed called. Said that the forks are ready to be picked up so they can be polished.
              He found an exhaust valve for $20 from one of his 'resources'. It's in Newburyport and he just happens to be going there today to pick up lobsters anyhow so he'll grab the valve on the way home. Ahhh! New England...
              Fairings off too, so that can be painted. Now that the humidity is below 'a gazillion', the paint will dry when I do it.
              He also wants to know if I want him to dismount the front-junk-tire so he can put on another one. I am bringing him the rims and tires from the 79 tomorrow night, and bringing the rest of the stuff home with me so it can be taken care of.
              So much for 'at least a month'...
              I will try to get HWMBO's camera and take some pictures of the progress. The camera phone just doesn't have the resolution to be clear, and it's sort of dark in his shop. I'll get some pictures of the Benelli and the BMW while I'm at it.
              Woo-Hoo!
              79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Noone ever adjusted the valves. Is this a common problem, or is everyone just lazy?
                Adjusting the valves is kind of a PITA. You either have to use a valve holdback tool (that I have never gotten one to work worth a crap) or pull the cams. Plus... if you ever get the valve cover on and it doesn't leak..... you usually aren't in a big hurry to pop it back open. It is something that needs to be done periodically though.

So... short story long.... Yeah, it's probably laziness! lol.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thought so...

However, being an air-cooled VW fan anyway, it's not nearly as scary to me as it is to some people.
                  VW's are 'supposed' to be checked and adjusted every 3,000 miles. I've only had to adjust them a few times in many years. The Witch will get checked out at the recommended intervals. I'd be surprised if they really end up needing adjustment every time I check them.
                  After what I've been through so far with my bike, I'm not taking any chances or shortcuts once it's up and running. Elbow grease and oil are cheap-parts and time are expensive. I fully believe that proper maintainence with this machine will mean a lifetime of enjoyment from it.
                  I can't wait to visit her again tomorrow!
                  Soon...Soon...
                  79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

I can't wait to visit her again tomorrow!
                    Isn't it an unwritten law... guys name their bikes female names. Don't females have to name their bikes male names??

"C'mon George... giddy up!!"

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Inanimate Objects...

All inanimate objects are inherently female-ships, cars-sort of confusing because all of those 'inanimate' objects are how we actually get around.
                      Why are they all female?

Because-'You can't live with 'em; You can't live without 'em!'.

I was actually going to name the darn thing 'Broomstick' but I figured you all would have way too much fun with that! Broomsticks are genderless

C'mon 'George'...??????. I'd at least try something flashy, like Fabio or Rambo...Don't ya think??

Nope, me either...
                      79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

valves

I've gone 50K+ between valve adjustments. Guess it depends on how hard you ride 'em.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                        X