Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In case anyone was wondering whatever happened to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case anyone was wondering whatever happened to me...

Dropped off the bike on the 16th with Ed-the wonder mechanic. He said at least 3 weeks til he could get to it. No problem.
    He calls 5 days later and tells me to bring him the head from the 79. I had already ordered the gaskets, figuring I'd need them anyway. Those came in from PNM on the 23rd. I was beginning to wonder if they would ever arrive...
    Took the head to him on the 24th, and the gasket set. He had some questions for me as to what kind of oil I wanted to use-told him whatever he thinks is best is what I'll go with-. I mentioned the fact that syn causes clutch slippage-he says only if it contains certain elements such as Moly-that should start trouble here. He said he will write down everything I'm going to need to know for the future. He wanted to know what any other plans I had were. I told him about lowering it-he's giving me the 11.5 shocks for that-. He said we'll cap off the air shock and give me another 1/2 to 3/4 inch to drop it down. He wanted to know if I wanted the fork seals done, as they are leaking-one profusely. I said I'd need to order the parts. Nope, he's got them there. Did I say I love this guy?...
    He's already cleaned the rest of the engine up. Said it was the worst case of neglect he's ever seen. The outside looks great, but inside he doesn't think the oil was ever changed. Said it was more like tar than oil. That has now been remedied along with a new filter. He sees no other damage from the valves bending. All of them were bent-along with two busted valve guides-serious damage.
    He looked over the 79 head and says it looks good. That bike does-well, did-run(until I tore it apart. How fun is it to work on these things?! I was having such a good time working on the bike, I didn't stop at the head. It is now a rolling engine holder. Everything has been removed and labeled to be stored for later use if needed. HWMBO was with his kids and I was unmolested in my demo project. I had a ball!)
    Ordered the new cam chain on Tues from Z1 Enterprises. It arrived yesterday! I will call Ed tonight and drop it off to him. The chain was $20 and the master link was $1.34! I couldn't believe it!
    I don't know how soon he'll be done with the bike and I really don't care. He can take as long as he needs. Knowing him though, he'll call me next Wednesday and tell me to come and get it-so much for 3 weeks til he can get to it.
    Did I say I love this guy?
    So I rattle-canned my fuel tank and sidecovers. Nothing special, but I wasn't going to ride around with old crackle coated lacquer for the summer. It will go for a 'real' paint job this winter, when I can drop everything off at my mom's and have access to the compressor and the air brush, fiberglass gear, etc. I got plans for her and the Vetter fairing...
    I still have to swap the tires out,even though the rims on the 79 look terrible, the tires are almost new. And I still have a few bugs to chase out of it-left turn signal won't work, having the center stand cut down, reattaching every disconnected lead, etc. No big deal when compared to what I started with, and my lack of knowledge at that time. I'm am learning steadily thanks to all the folks here.
    It's not long now. John will ride it home from Ed's. He'll put her through her paces without hurting her or himself.
    Can't wait to get her home!
    80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
    79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

John will ride it home from Ed's.
    That will be the clencher... you'll never get it back.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Re: In case anyone was wondering whatever happened to me...

Originally posted by CarolynS
      left turn signal won't work
      Good luck with that, I had to do a LOT of rewiring when I got mine. Eventrually I cut the plug for the flasher unit out of the original harness and ran a new wire from the fuse box to there to the switch box on the handlebars. And that was just the start...
      1981 XS1100S (former)
      2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

You really don't need a left turn signal.

Just turn right all the time.
        Jon
        '80 XS11 SG "My Serenity"

Comment

Yeah, I know...

Once he rides it I may be in trouble, Tod. You're right. Sometimes he gets a little wild and likes to do burn outs on his HD-I'm already prepared for him to try to do one on the Witch. I can hear it now-'Baby, let me see your bike for a minute...'

NO WAY, Buster!!! I'll give him what he calls my 'excorcist' look-he'll wither....

Turn signals...yeah, I'm looking forward to that. NOT. I absolutely despise electricity and wiring. I'm always the one that gets shocked, and it bugs the crap out of me. I know, I know...electricity is SO simple. I've heard it all before. Believe me, I understand how it all works, I can read a schematic, etc. I just hate it. I'll start by cleaning all the connections, checking everything and of course it will be something hidden-yet simple-and I'll be here calling for help, and feeling like an idiot when someone points out the obvious cause in 2 seconds. AaaRrrgggghh!
          I plan on making some changes to the lighting anyway this winter-no not LEDs-I may as well get used to the system now.
          With any luck, I'll be posting pix next week of the old girl ready to rock and roll.

79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

No need to worry too much about getting a electrical shock on the bike though.........unless you are holding onto the end of the spark plug wire while starting or running the motor.
            So.....Go for it. And good luck.
            P.S. If you are still nervous about getting a shock or shorting out something, then remove the battery, which I recommend you do when making replacements or repairs to wiring.

He may even (try) take over the bike anyways when the two of you line them up and the old XS out does the HD.
            It's a male thing! You may not completely understand this.?.
            Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

Re: Yeah, I know...

Originally posted by CarolynS
              With any luck, I'll be posting pix next week of the old girl ready to rock and roll.

Hey CarolynS, that's great, BUT we want to see photos of the BIKE!

Yes, what Flatlander said, just remove the battery, or disconnect it's (+)terminal, and that will keep you safe! Being able to read a schematic is more than many of us can do! But like you've already read on here, cleaning the contacts is a major part of eliminating most electrical gremlins. Poor grounds is the most common problem for poor/no turn signals. Secondly is a failed flasher, as well as damaged wires in the switch housing.

Why no LEDs?? They can free up many amps to use for additional driving lights or other accessories! JAT!

Hang in there, you'll be riding that thing soon!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Why...I oughta!....

Very Funny! Besides, THIS ol' girl 'shimmies'-bellydancer I still am after all.

Boys, if I remove the battery when I go to check things-how will I know it works?????
                It's just a phobia-like bees and heights-I can deal with them, it's just not my favorite thing to do. Tolerance, patience, Cap't Morgan...(woops! That comes after).

No, I get it. I will clean everything, make sure it all contacts where it's supposed to and not where it's not supposed to(grounds, shorts). Alas, the plague of time-we all feel it's pinch-and it's corrosive effects!

I know one thing for certain about this bike-I'd better bring tissues when I go to pick it up! I'm so excited about having it to play with again, but this time I get to hear it run and ride it. I didn't think when I started down this road, I'd end up so attached. I figured it would just be something to have fun on and not have to wait to get 'taken' riding. It's become so much more than that-partly due to the friends I've made here. I know as I put more time and love into it, my efforts will be rewarded.
                Thanks for the continued support and friendship. You all rock!
                79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

TC said
                  Yes, what Flatlander said, just remove the battery, or disconnect it's (+)terminal,

WRONG!! Do NOT disconnect the positive + side!! ALWAYS disconnect the NEGATIVE - side FIRST .
                  Jezz TC, try and get her to weld with a battery, instead of fixing it!
                  I know, you just want to see her "dance", but do be kind to her!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You think you're attached now?

Just wait until you get her on the road!

and ummm... definitely the negative cable first... The only time I would ever recommend being negative before positive...

(somehow, I think she already knew that one though)
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

The only time I would ever recommend being negative before positive...
                      So to get this right...

"Your hair looks really nice today, but your face looks like it was hit with a MAC truck"

Is more correct than

" Your face looks like it was hit by a MAC truck!! BUT.. your hair looks nice today."

I want to be politically correct here...

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Once again, Dear...

you missed the point a bit... Go see what the wife says about that one and report back to us...

and not to encourage you or anything... but...

that WAS funny!
                        81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

On Being Negative...

Poor TC! One typo and your DONE!

Negativity is the thing to get rid of...I always do that first, both literally and figuratively. But TC is right, and he is kind enough to recognize I have some mechanical aptitude, I DO have to remove the positive side when I take out the battery(that's what you meant, right TC?).
                          79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

T.C. was thinking about something else at the time.?.

In his defence, I think what he was thinking about, at the time he mentioned the positive terminal, the old Dodge's positive grounded system.?.
                            Last edited by Flatlander; 05-31-2008, 01:56 PM.
                            Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

That's what I love

Everyone here likes to tease and be included in the latest...
                              What a great bunch!...

I will call Ed-the wonder mechanic-in the morning while HWMBO is running to the yard for his chores. Hopefully, if he's not too busy, I can drop off the cam chain to him, and we'll be under way soon.
                              I will go down to the yard and finish stripping the 79 down. I need the tires now. I'll just swap rims and tires together. Plus, put another coat of paint on the fuel tank and side covers.
                              79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Working...
                              X