Speedometer error!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer error!

Last week I followed SWMBO Down to Monterey to her spot on Fisherman's Wharf where she does quick sketch portraits. Tough gig, eh? We left Boulder Creek, she in her '80 something Volvo, me on my Special. Especially since overdrive doesn't work on her car, I told her not to try to keep up with me since I could and probably would outrun her. I planned on getting ahead of her so I could stop in at an army surplus store in Moss Landing. I was cruising up a long uphill grade at 80 in the passing lane when who should pass me on my right but my better half in her Volvo! As soon as I got to Moss Landing I had her pull over so I could chew her out. "But Honey, my speedometer said I was doing 65," she protested. No,no,no, I was sure my speedo must be right because I had gotten a speeding ticket only 2 months ago for doing 80 and my clock said 80 when I saw the cop and shut it down.
    Last Sunday Diveray and his lady friend Penny and I went on a ride over to Gillroy and down to Carmel. Along the way I had Ray clock me at different speeds and sure enough my clock is off 15 mph at 65.
    Damn! Oh the ignominy! Having to say to my wife: "Honey I'm sorry. You're right, I'm wrong, and I'll never do it again." (This, by the way is the secrete to marital bliss. It must be recited at the end of every argument whether true or not.) And I've been bragging about how smooth my bike cruses at 80. I thought all those cars passing me were bigger idiots than I for passing me at 90. Now I find I must do 90 (by my clock,) in order to do a true, and reasonable, 75 on the freeway.
    O.K., this is all leading up to a question. What do I do about it. Fixing my speedo, I mean. Any ideas?
    E.Liberty
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

So then why did a cop ticket you for doing 80 when only doing 65 since your speedo is off?

I would probably just try to get another speedo and swap them out first.
    1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

JAT...

When I was having problems with my XJ speedo reading quite off, it turned out to be the plate in the front drive that has the 2 'tangs' on it. When when I replaced the plate the speedo read correctly.

341-25149-00-00 clutch, meter
      Find it in the front wheel parts description.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Her is a new speedo I have been hearing about- a GPS speedometer.
        http://www.streetperformance.com/par...meter-kit.html
        I am thiking of getting one, as I would be able to transfer it between my various vehicles. What do the rest of you think of this new gadget??
        1979XS100SF
        2007 Dyna wide glide
        Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

keep it coming!

BrianB
          I gather something happend between being ticketed and now.
          Jerry: thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. Hey gonna make it to Yosemity?
          E.Liberty
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

bad speedos

My buddy Stan has a lead foot. His story when pulled over is always "My speedo said I was only doing the limit." Everyone says this, the cops just smile and give you the form to have the speedo tested. (If your speedo IS wrong you still pay the fine but you don't get the demerits.) If Stan gets any more demerits he will lose his licence so he then goes home and swaps in the other speedo gear to his truck. The one with the different ratio that makes the speedo read 65 when you are doing 80. After getting the "Yes the speedo reads wrong" chitty signed he swaps it back again. Not a thing you can do too often.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Jerry: thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. Hey gonna make it to Yosemity?
              Yep, plan to be there. All parts now in hand for the 1st gear tranny fix plus the xs 750 fd swap, have all the parts for that also. Just need to get the work done. Looking forward to the trip.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey Fred I can't help with the speedo but maybe the Volvo. If is a late 80s there is a relay/fuse pannel behind the ash tray. The relay on the upper right if I remember correctly controls the automatic transmission's ability to go into overdrive. $30 dealer item. I tried to find a cheaper one at auto zone but could not match it. SWMBO's did the same thing. Of course this is a waste of time if it's a standard

Dave
                wingnut
                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

GPS speedo

My Garmin eTrex Legend Cx has a speedo you can have at the top of the map screen . I have it Ram-mounted to my handlebar .
                  XJ1100K
                  Avon rubber
                  MikesXS black coils
                  Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                  MikesXS front master
                  Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                  Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                  Progressive fork springs
                  CIBIE headlight reflector
                  YICS Eliminator

Comment

Who needs a speedo go as fast as you can before you see flashing lights in the mirror's then pull over .I'm sure they'll tell you how fast you were going.
                    Madbiker

Comment

Working...
                    X