With all my engine troubles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With all my engine troubles...

Anyone think this might be worth it, just to pull the engine and mount on my frame?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...QQcmdZViewItem

...or would that even work?
    1981 XS1100S (former)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

It would work, but shipping would cost an arm and a leg!
    What does the engine need now? I'm working on a set of carbs for you, and they should be done in two weeks.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Is the motor seized? The buddy probably had no idea were the kill switch was either.
      Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

Looks far to nice to part out. Doesn't look like it would take that much work to get it back into shape. Not starting....maybe the kill switch wiring is shorted? More info would be nice, like does the engine turn over. Anyone in the area who could look at it?
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
          It would work, but shipping would cost an arm and a leg!
          What does the engine need now? I'm working on a set of carbs for you, and they should be done in two weeks.
          Even after the carbs, still gotta rewire for the tach and neutral light, new tires, get the new rear brake rotor put on, and rebuild the tranny. And the tranny might take some time, given my dad got his own BMW bike now, and I seriously doubt I can do it alone.
          1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Looks way to nice to part out. If it were closer to me I have all the parts to put it together.
            I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

look alike ...

Almost a mirror image, right down the body and steering damage, pipes and color, of my SF after I dumped it on it's right side in a rear brake lock up accident. Had just finished it ... I'm sure that owner is sick ... looks like the timing cover narrowly escaped .... hate to run without engine guards and that's why.
              80G Mini-bagger
              VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
              79SF eventually dismantled for parts
              79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
              79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Might just give up...

If those carbs get here and nothing's changed, might just trade it in. Was at the local dealer with my mom helping her look at bikes and really wanted one myself. I figure if I can get the carbs on it and get it running, I can get it down there and trade. Besides, there's a nice little new-noncurrent model they got that I like...
                1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

You could probably get more for it from a member here, than at the dealer. I don't see why you need your dad's help for anything you mentioned, you have US! The hardest thing you have to deal with is the tran fix and that has been very well documented here in the tech tips. We LOVE to help around here.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
                    You could probably get more for it from a member here, than at the dealer. I don't see why you need your dad's help for anything you mentioned, you have US! The hardest thing you have to deal with is the tran fix and that has been very well documented here in the tech tips. We LOVE to help around here.
                    I've considered listing it here, but I'll at least get Ray's carbs on it before that so it's ridable. Maybe one of you guys want a new low-miles project , I even have most of the parts to fix it. Anyways, I already know I've put more into it than it's worth, and I don't feel like getting even deeper before going too far, just gonna cut my losses. And buying it would be about the best help someone here could give me right now.
                    1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Almost forgot, it includes a partial '79 XS750 parts bike.
                      1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander
                        Is the motor seized? The buddy probably had no idea were the kill switch was either.
                        Our bikes have a built in tip-over switch, so if he laid it down it would have shut off.

Surprised nobody mentioned that this is not a 1983 bike.
                        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Originally posted by malber
                          Surprised nobody mentioned that this is not a 1983 bike.
                          I thought that went without saying...

I'm about the youngest one on here and that was one of the first things I noticed.
                          1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Working...
                          X