No announcement yet.

born in 1969?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So true deo - a lot of people were changed in that time. In '69 I was not eligible for the lottery, although that year my birthday was #7 or something early. In '70(?), when I was eligible, my number was 265 or something high like that. Do I recall correctly? The lottery applied when you turned 18? or 19?
    But at 17, in 1969, there was nothing wrong with 'my' world.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

1969 finished high school, number 314 in the lottery, drivin' around in my '56 Nomad (hence the name), ridin' a '65 305 Honda scrambler, ahh life was good. Still got the Nomad, have had about 15 bikes since, including a '79xs and the current 80xs, got 7 grown childred and 17 grandchildren, ahh life IS good.
      NOMAD

Comment

Big changes in my life that year. My Dad quit farming and took a teaching job at small technical college in Salt Lake City. We moved off the farm and into the suburbs. I went from a 7th grade class of 110 students to a 8th grade class of 680 students.

Big culture shock for me. Besides all the other stuff that goes on in the head of a early teen. Man, I never would want to be that age again!

The Beatles "Come Together" was a big hit on the radio that year. Lots of other great rock 'n roll bands back then.

Lots of fast muscle cars around. The Chrystler stuff 'specially fast.

Lots of other memories when I think back on those years.

Peace!
        Bob Udy

Comment

Lemme see now..... 1969...
          I was:

In the Navy, in the Pittsburgh VA Hospital when Armstrong walked on the moon, recovering from serious shoulder surgery (Yamaha 125), and had met, but not yet even dated, the wonderful girl who would become SWMBO.

I'm still, obviously, riding Yamaha's. My wife is waiting until our daughter graduates from UCSD (She's red-shirted this year due to shoulder surgery. Hmmm, must run in the family.) to get a new bike. She'd love to have another XS650 but I want her to get something with a shaft.

The shoulder surgery also caused me to stop performing the lead role in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to The Forum" in a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Comment

1969......3 years old....traded my teddy bear for a big wheel...never looked back
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Ah, yes
              - only one year away from being able to get my driver's licence...
              - riding a single-speed bike with wide wing handlebars and a big 'ole carrier for delivering newspapers for the Nanaimo Daily Free Press (all you Islanders will recognize that one)...
              - winning a block-long race from a standing start - me on my single-speed machine and my buddy on one of those fancy new 10 speed units from England...
              - breaking the frame down tube on that bike from one too many wheelies and jumps off of curbs...
              - pranging the right side handlebar grip into a newly-opened car door while pedaling up a hill, grinding away head down, on my way to pick up my papers...
              - riding out to my uncle's place, cutting the axle mounts off my bike's forks, jamming on another set of cut-off forks for extensions, and getting my uncle to weld it all together - instant chopper!!!

Ah yes, life was so much simpler then....
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken,

While it sounds like the size of the bike and maybe the income stream may have changed...

Your thought processes about modifications or what makes it work sound very much the same !!!

My first wrenching experience was at 6 (1966), when a 30 year old fir tree jumped out infront of my bicycle... and bent the front tire. (solid not pneumatic), heck i simply took it off and turned it over.. didnt' last long though.
                jeff "Wags"
                Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                79sf rusty
                79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Working...
                X