Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you wish everything was made like an XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat,
    I listen to "Iron Butterfly" on the way to work, via MP3 player.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I am a wood floor contractor by trade. 25 years ago I bought a used Clark 12' floor sander. It was probably at least 20 years old when I bought it. All the bearings are standard and readily replaceable. I've had the drum recovered roughly every 5 years. It still runs great and does a good job. If cars were built like this we would still be driving Molel A's. Well, maybe that isn't a good analogy...
      e.Liberty
      Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
      I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

"What a bunch of miserly skinflints!"

Got an '81 Blazer... been running on 7 cylinders for three years.
        Washer and dryer from the '70's. (fixed the agitator's transmission, swapped out the timers, and have gone through countless heating elements and pumps)
        Same with the '70's refridgerator... numerous defrost heating elements, timers, etc.
        I did replace the hot water heater last year. Old one was '72.
        And like Crazcnuk... I still have army issue socks and underwear from 15 years ago.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well, all my Army issue stuff is less than 5 years old!

All the stuff, in my list, except the XS have required little or no repairs at all...

The GT needs some $5 seals, just haven't got around to replacing them.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

This "planned obsolesence" with so many things has finally reached a new limit. Some neighbours down the street from me are planning on moving because their house is now approcahing 12-13 years old and they don't want to be stuck with the bills of replacing windows, repairing all the HVAC systems, shingles, rotting garage door, etc. They figure, among other things, that a new house will save them on bills because of the new hi-efficiency stuff the builders are forced to use nowadays. Is this the meaning of a disposable society?

BTW he's got a 20 year old mercedes in the garage that runs like a clock.
            Ernie
            79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
            (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Unfortunately, that IS teh attitude these days.

People will buy a new car, drive it for a few years and sell it because it is 'nickle and diming' them to death.

What they don't look at is, on average, every 5yrs most cars will need: Brakes, tires, fluid change (complete), timing belt, clutch if (applicable),and one major repair, ie differential, transmission, sensors whatever.

Usually most people will wait until AFTER they have done all the above, then sell the car, and the next owner drives it for another 3-5yrs with little or no problems.

What gets me is people will, seemingly, gladly trade a twice a year $500 expense for 3-5 years of $400/month (or more) payments.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I believe, years ago, Crazcnuk, that the average yearly total for used car maints. was only $600. Some years... maybe only $100 for oil changes... some years, throw in tires and an alternator...
                Big deal.
                Better than making car payments.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I was talking about that 3rd, 4th or 5th year, where a couple big repairs come up. Ones that won' t have to be done again for the life of the car.

Regular maintenance can't be counted.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I am with Prom, I don't make car payments, just the first one. The result is that I drive "rust and smoke"! However, fifteen years ago I bought a 1984 diesel pickup for $450 and drove it until last year. Outside of normal maintenance I didn't put a nickel in it for over 250,000 miles, it still runs great and gets an average 26mpg. Not bad for a one ton truck. I came home one evening and slammed the drivers door and the passenger door fell off resulting in a cold draft in the cab along with some strange looks from other drivers so I reluctantly parked it.
                    The Dragon is even better, the PO bought it at a year old with just over 1000 mi on it, he put 21,000 more on it with ONE trip to the shop! I have almost another 40,000 on it and the only thing that I have done to it outside of maintenance is a set of PUC's.
                    Compare that to the fact that EVERYTHING else I own or have owned has failed or is in the process of failing (including my magnificent body which has gone bad on me somehow, don't know why as I try to keep my level of preservative liquids at the proper level).
                    Weather permitting I will put another 10,000 plus on her this summer and she is showing NO sign of weakness yet. I would like to meet the guy that designed her, I would buy him a can or two of preservative.
                    The Old Tamer
                    1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
                    X