Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you wish everything was made like an XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you wish everything was made like an XS11?

They just don't make stuff to last anymore!

We bought our house about 12 years ago. I had to replace the garbage disposal last year. Replaced the Dishwasher this year. I had installed a ceiling fan/light combo in the bedroom when we moved in, and it crapped out just this week and had to replace it!

The cheap air conditioner started acting up this week. We just had it checked a month ago, but during a recent cold spell, we noticed that the FURNACE/Emergency heat kicked on, and it wasn't anywhere near or colder than 40 degrees, the point where the heatpump isn't efficient, and the gas assisted furnace is supposed to kick in! Being cool...I won't say cold out of respect for our northern brethren , I didn't go outside to check on the compressor or really even think about it. Then a couple of days ago, we had a warm spell, set the thermostat for cooling that morning, but came home to a warm 78 degrees house! Internal fans were running, but the compressor/fan outside was totally quiet! Checked the breaker switch, wasn't thrown off!

During our yearly check, had the guy give us quote on replacing it. However, since it's so old it's probably SEER 10 or even 08, and now systems are SEER 13 up to 16, and so we can't just replace the outside components! $4500.00 for a complete system! Thankfully, had it checked again, and they found a Defroster Controller board to be faulty, will be a few hundred bucks, but we'll be able to possibly milk another year out of it before having to plunk the big bucks for a new system!

But then, yesterday evening, SWMBO hollers up to me in my computer room...."there's something wrong with the TV"! Came down, the screen was totally black, and there was this repeating electronic spark/pop sound every second eminating from the back of the case!!! This is/was no ordinary TV, it's an RCA 52" rear projection machine. We got it the Fall of 1992, so it's ONLY 16 years old! I did a net search, found that it could be either a HighVolt transformer shorting to the board some how, or a possible leak from one of the three guns, etc.. Would be fairly expensive to repair.....IF it could be repaired...kinda hard to take it to the shop, and housecalls also prohibitive!

SO....."we" finally had our Xcuse to jump into the Hi Def pool! With SWMBO's blessing to boot....she's got to see her SOAPS!

Went to the local wholesale shop(BJ's...like a SAM's), and found a nice 47" diag...but at 16:9 ratio was the same Horiz. width as our 52" at 4:3 ratio!!! Full 1080P, 4 HDMI inputs, 2 Composite, 1 AV, 1 VHS, DigFibOptOut, etc. Multi view modes:normal/ Zoom/ Pan/ Wide; 2,000:1 contrast etc.! VIZIO brand, got it for $1399, then a few hundred more for a nice cabinet to put the Cable/DVR, DVD, Surround Sound Amp, Xbox machines in!

OF course we'll have to NOW add the HD channels to our ever rising CABLE bill, and will have to invest in a BLU-Ray DVD player...at least I waited till the format war was over!

But NOW I can really appreciate what all the Hoopla about HD is for, it's quite stunning to watch!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

We had a similar situation with our AC here in East Texas. Unit was as old as the house (14 yrs) and only sized for about half of it since it's been added on to 2 times. The previous owner would just cut into the end of the plenum and run new pipe whenever he added on! Finally upgraded the old 1 ton unit to a new 4 ton unit and have seen our electric bill drop down to 1/3 what it used to be.

We jumped in to the HD game during our den to home theater conversion. I was playing with DIY projectors at the time so we decided for personal safety (i get electro-shock therapy quite often during DIY projects) we bought a HD projector and I put up a 10 foot 16:9 screen! HD is even better when it's 10 foot big!!
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

I totally agree TC!

(I am glad I don't have to do the "triple carb cleaning" on the garbage disposal tho...)
      Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

I am trying to feel bad for you TC, but it's hard. Knowing your sitting on your coach watching HDTV when it's warm enough to ride Hopefully, I'll be able to at least get out in the next week or two, and I won't be so cranky! And jealous!!!
        Dave
        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Built to Bust

Its all built to bust TC.....ITS AN ENDLESS CIRCLE...you have the furnace break on you (6 inches of snow here) fix that then the computer hard drive go (I have a new laptop now) then its the car frigglegig go then a new lawnmower cause the old one rusted out....air conditioning, never need it here.....but the XS cools me down after all the days frustrations
          Bruce is back
          1978 XS1100 with a special heart.
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

I hear ya!

Trying to get an addition built on the house (new Master bedroom for us) so the girls won't kill each other (they would each have their own room)... Last year it turned into an air conditioning system... this year, it turned into a foundation repair and new plumbing... We have high hopes for next year...

I'll bet the new TV helped to take the sting out of things for you though...
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

I just re-read your post TC.

I was a sales consultant at REX TV & Appliance 3 years ago.

Not to bash brands or anything, but RCA, (Phillips)/Magnavox, and Phillips caused us constant headaches with warranty returns and repairs..and the rear projection models were the worst.

Among the plasma screens Phillips was so bad that I would say that about 60% of our display models needed repair before they even left the store, usually the culprit was the power switch, but many other things also went wrong.

Among the rear projection DLPs RCA was almost as bad.

Among the LCD rear projection units Hitachi gave us the most trouble.

The most reliable were Sony, Panasonic, Samsung (who woulda guessed!), Pioneer (tho I did see a couple with problems), and JVC...JVC had the best picture among the rear projection LCD and 3 gun floor standing units also...we had to hide the JVC LCD rear projector from direct view next to other units or people would immediately zero in on it and we constantly ran out of stock.

Phillips surround sound units also were a constant source of warranty trouble. And I never sold a Cerwin Vega subwoofer that didn't come back for repair at some point.

I was too honest to stay in retail...never again will I set foot in that cutthroat world!
              Guy

'78E

Comment

The 16 year run for your RCA was actually a very long time for one of those units to hold up...but usually if something is going to go wrong with a unit it would happen in the 1st year.

PS. Buy a GOOD surge protector with an insurance/replacement policy, and after every thunderstorm with power interruption, check the telltale light to make sure it has intact protection circuitry. At Rex we LOVED thunderstorms!
                Guy

'78E

Comment

Said issues were a major consideration when we bought a new house. After getting shot down trying to buy "used", (people bidding 5 to 15k over asking price) found new houses were not much more than "preowned". I now have some peice of mind with a 10 year extended warranty on major systems, 5 year on ALL appliances and I don't hear "when are you going to replace that counter top". As for things not lasting, I feel your pain. The power steering pump on my 33 year old truck took a dump and with only 300,000 on the clock! My trusty XS has only had a slight hiccup lately, leaky brake hose and a crapped out battery. I have yet to jump into the flat screen, HD frenzy, my 15 year old Trinitron is alive and well in the "man cave". El cheapo Walmart Samsung is hanging tough also.

I most likely have just put a "pox" on things, the tranny in the Olds will crater, the daughter will drop her cell phone in the toilet, one of the dogs will require a kings ransom in vet work and that non-discript Crown Vic in my mirror has been clocking me for the last 5 minutes while I have been doing a "jet" test.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I just had my furnace serviced (1964 airco 2 burner gas) and the service guy every yr trys to sell me a new high efficent one. Mine is approx 60% efficent. I ask ed him what he found wrong with my old furnace. He says well nothing but. I stop him there pay the bill and smile cause my old furnace never needs any repair, just routine service and inspection. My neighbours have all opted for the new stuff and seem to have alot of service calls to replace boards and chips, etc etc.

Comment

3 years ago I replaced the houses original 28 year old very inefficient furnace for a brand new 96% efficient all singing/dancing one. I put the old one in my garage to heat it - which does an outstanding job asit gone from heating 2000 sq ft to 24 x 28.
                      However, I have had the company out to troubleshoot the new one once already and guess wht - yup the old still hasn't missed a beat!
                      Si Parker
                      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

I own:

1972 Mobile home w/ original furnace
                        1972 AC system, works fine
                        1973 GT 750 runs
                        1981 XS1100 my daily driver
                        1982 Virago runs perfectly
                        1982 Baycrest TV , even the remote still works
                        1984 Deep freeze, Popcorn maker, can opener, all work perfectly
                        my vacuum cleaner, electric knife, slow cooker, all came from my grand parents likely all from the 1960s-80s all work

I think I have socks, from the 80's,, and I won't mention underwear!
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey Crazcnuk

1975 Mobile home/ 2nd furnace/ no A/C
                          1975 Mirage sailboat
                          1985 Dodge pick-up 'The lawn ornament"
                          1978 XS1100 Main toy
                          The "Trailer Park Boys" film just down the road from here; they could do a shoot in my yard!
                          Bruce
                          Bruce Doucette
                          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

All new

Two years ago I took out a 25 yr old furnace and AC unit to replace it with a seer 13 AC and an new supposadly more efficient furnace. The AC was a great saver of electric, but the dam furnace is anything but efficient and what I saved in electric in the summer I now more than make up for in gas bills in the winter.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I still have an under-dash Pioneer Super-Tuner FM 8-track. Works great. Only 3 8-tracks now:
                              Iron Butterfly,
                              Pink Floyd,
                              and the Doors.

I can use my 8-track to cassette adapter and the cassette to headphone adapter to listen to CD's.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X