Follow your nose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow your nose?

Well now I am going on my 32nd year of riding some kind of street legal m/c.I dont claim to have seen it all but I have most definitely smelled it all What the he## am I talking abt?I have been deaf in my left ear since I was 9 yrs old and my right ear went in my early 20's.As a result all of my other senses are heightened to compensate for the hearing loss.My eysight is very acute and so is my nose...ok for yrs I have followed other m/cs'...all kinds and the ones that have the WORST smelling exhaust are the H-Ds'.By far...I suspect this is because alot of them are straight pipes that are ofc obnoxiously loud as well as stink to high heaven.When I am following one or a pack of these guys..if I cant pass em then I pull way back and take a break and wait a minute or 2 and then continue on...I'm not looking to bash H-D riders cuz some of my buddies ride 'em...but man they are the worst polluters out there...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Pls..move this thread

Sorry i meant to post this in the members lounge..pls repost...Thanks Prom
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Well, when your running 1930's technology, it's pretty hard to be efficient!

I would ask, though, are you sure it's the exhaust you're smelling....? :^)
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk
        Well, when your running 1930's technology, it's pretty hard to be efficient!

I would ask, though, are you sure it's the exhaust you're smelling....? :^)
        LMAO...thats a good one...but yeah its the exhaust...my nose knows
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

my eyesight ...

is .... shall we say ... waning, at best so I don't see them suckers too good but, if I don't see 'em or smell 'em, I can damn sure hear 'em. Noise is a form of polution too, to my way of thinkin' ... as for smells, I much prefer the smell of ... uhhhh ..... Napalm in the morning. Aahhhhh..........
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

We all know

That a HD is the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the added benefit of horsepower which means that the process is anything but clean.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Why do harleys with larger engines get 20 more MPH than my brand new Yamaha xvs1100?
              Kinda pisses me off.
              79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
              07 V-star 1100
              Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

two words: fuel injection, with the O2 sensor gives proper feedback for optimal fuel mixture. my truck is a prime example. when I got my drivers license in '83, my first vehicle was a '72 F-100 361CI V8: 10 mpg, 2 BBL carb. I currently drive a 96 GMC 350 V8 FI gets 15 - 18 MPG and makes an extra 100HP. there are some other technological advances, but I believe the more efficient. fuel intake is the primary reason for the added economy. may be geared differently now days also. I guess I've taken a really long time typing nothing and convincing myself that I really don't know why after all....hmmn.
                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Sounds good.
                  Si there a way to change gear ratios?
                  79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                  07 V-star 1100
                  Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

The '750 final drive mod' effectively does exactly that. There is a full write up on it on this site.
                    80G Mini-bagger
                    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Working...
                    X