Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Let's go.. spill the beans...."

Originally posted by prometheus578
    I'm tired of wasting time thinking up ideas, and wasting time running around doing research.
    I was in your shoes about 7 years ago. I had been fired from the best job I'd ever had and my unemployment was running out.

For me starting a home based business was originally a way to make enough cash so I could go fishing. I had made some charging system parts back in the early 1980's but mostly for my own bikes and I sold a few. When a friend introduced me to selling on eBay, I figured what the hell, maybe somebody still needs these. So I made a few, sold'em, made a few more and sold them too. It just snowballed after that.

If you have something you can make, make a few and try selling them on eBay. It's worth a shot and probably won't cost too much to try. I'm not going to get rich making motorcycle charging parts but the freedom of working for myself is hard to beat.

I don't know what E.Liberty is doing/selling but this worked for me. I'm happy to share my business plan but not how I make my products... I have great plans for expansion if I ever get the capital.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

" - - - there isn't a banker alive crazy enough to loan me startup capital. - - - "

Hi 'shack,
      if you start a business with the bank's money you ain't working for yourself, you are working for the bank. And everybody knows how kind, generous and forgiving bankers are.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for your reply. If I move the family I probably wouldn't stay with the state. Low pay and dead ends around every corner.
        Someone who works for the State of South Dakota told me recently, while I was inquireing about a state job,
        " You are working for the retirement, Not the day to day wage."
        Needless to say I'll stay in the telecommunications field.
        I too have been pondering the possibility of opening my own business here in Madison SD. Everything sounds real good till ya work out the math vs local economy vs local population vs need for the product and it was scarey. Location. I don't want to move back to Sioux Falls right now. So,,,,, Me, I'll stay where I'm at, doing what I'm doing, so I'll keep getting what I'm getting.
        With children you need the security of a check for food on the table. Unless you have enough put up to start working for yourself as well as provide food and stuff for your family. I would be working for someone.
        As far as driving a truck,,,, Been there, done that,, Did it long haul. Coast to coast. Money was not all bad but hometime suffered. While on the road, I found, to make really good money, I had to stay out aprox. 5 weeks or so at a time, Then I'd get 5 days off. Out of these 5 days you got home on the first and had to leave on the 5th. This counts to 3 full days off every 5 weeks of work. BUT, the money was good.
        Just my 2 cent.
        Whatever you decide, good luck,
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

The Grump responds

My apologies to Prom and my fellow XSives for my XSively harsh response to what I am sure was intended to be a humorous entry.
          I can only say that it was a mistake to write a response while treating a bad cold with scotch and ale.
          My daughter returned home from college the next day and I've been too busy to check in. I see there is some interest in self-employment / home based business opportunities. When I get a chance I'll share what I have learned. Until then, I wish all of you a very happy and prosperous New Year.
          E.Liberty
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

"Hey Scrooge..."

Empty your PM mailbox.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

boat

same boat!!!!! Good luck!!!! Take Care..

Comment

As an update I'm interviewing for a position with about a 45 minute commute. The salary increase will definitely make up for the cost of gas. Hmm.....45 miles 2 times a day on the xs11.....life is looking better. So if anybody is from Huntsville TX and works in the IT department at TDCJ let me know. Wouldn't hurt to have a fellow rider on the inside rooting for you.
                79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

There is one heck of a steak house in Huntsville!

Good luck on the application!
                  CUAgain,
                  Daniel Meyer
                  Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                  Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Now see here, you can't make a comment like that and not mention a name! Where is it? A celebration dinner might be in order (right after my first paycheck)

Comment

Take it from someone who rides 35 miles to work every day, it hard to force yourself to actually go to work when you get there.
                      Fastmover
                      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                      lion". SHL
                      78 XS1100e

Comment

Ride to work...

Hard to even stop when I get there. Sometimes just keep on riding.
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by manshack_one
                          Now see here, you can't make a comment like that and not mention a name! Where is it? A celebration dinner might be in order (right after my first paycheck)

Muahahahahaha! Just my evil nature.

Second to last exit in town off of 45 southbound....(one 'O those anyway). Montgomery road?

On the southwest of the intersection. Called The Country Inn Steakand Seafood.

Steaks come t-bone and strip. Small, medium, large.

I believe the medium is a pound.

You'd better know what you're about if you order a large anything in there! The small CFS covers a dinner plate.
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I used to work at a Circle K 1/2 a block from where I lived in Phoenix. When I bought my Honda Hawk I would usually ride 60 - 200 miles to work .
                            A plus to living so close, around midnight (I worked graveyard shift) I would stand outside the store ans whistle. My Doberman would jump the fence and hang-out with me at the store. Sometimes my roomates German Shepard would come too.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

$50/hr

I was out of work for quite awhile several years ago. One night while drinking in a bar with friends, a guy told me about a job making $50/hr. That got my attention and I asked how? He said planting tulips!!! When I asked where, he pointed to his crotch and said "Plant your two lips right here buddy!!!!

I remained unemployed for several more months.
                              80 XS11 Special

Comment

That's bad.....but funny enough I'll have to tell it to someone else.

Good news is I got that job! Bad news is I don't know where the gas money is going to come from for the rest of the month!! As soon as the first check comes in I'll be flush again though. I have to wait for the background check to come through (not that I'm worried about it my background). So, it'll be a little rough at first but after a check or two I'll be ahead again and able to breathe. Thanks for everyones advice and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                X