Paint for tank for 1978SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint for tank for 1978SE

My tank has some paint chips on the top only. There are a few right by the crotch area, then two to the right of the tank chrome and a couple to the right of the tank chrome. I have put bondo on them with a popsickle stick and they are drying overnight.

What should I use next to sand and then seal those areas. The left and right sides of the tank have only 1 spot and I do not want to do anything there as doing so may cause the sides to look bad.

What should I use from primer sealer over the bondo? What should I use to sand? I had planned to paint the top area with a gloss black unless someone can suggest a maroon that will match up well. I am hoping a good rattle can paint will be okay.

Thanks. Deltysdal@aol.com

Most rattle can paints are not gas proof so select the type paint carefully. Magenta Red is a pretty close match to the 1978E color and I would use that for small chip touch ups followed by waxing with red color wax.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

For sanding, I use a wet/ dry paper

usually a 400 - 600 grit... if you go any finer than that, it doesn't have much bite... any coarser and it leaves ridges. Some prefer using a sanding block to avoid "waves"... I live dangerously and simply wrap the paper around my hand and still have pretty good results...

For priming, I usually go with an etching primer from the local auto parts store... It fills in the smaller chips and has a rougher texture for added bite when painting....
      You'll maybe want to lightly sand the entire area to be painted... the clear coat usually doesn't provide a good toothy surface for new paint.

If you go with the rattle can paint, try to get a decent clear coat to protect it... I think I've seen a rattle can clear at the local auto parts store that is supposed to be gas resistant, but I could have been dreaming.

Good luck and post pics!
      (we are a very visually oriented lot)
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

I think I've seen a rattle can clear at the local auto parts store that is supposed to be gas resistant, but I could have been dreaming.
        Kat, You weren't dreaming. Duplicolor high heat clear ceramic is gas proof. Let it cure a couple of weeks, then wax the **** out of it. Been gas proof on Swamp Thing for four years now and I've had my share of nozzle dribbles.

Comment

Tanks got chrome?

"a couple to the right of the tank chrome."
          Hi Del,
          your '78 Special got chrome on it's tank?
          My '80 Special tank came with a bad paint job and when that was stripped off to bare metal it took half a can of Bondo to fill all the dents I discovered but nary a drop of chrome did I find. However, wet'n'dry paper is the only thing that works. Use warm water with a dash of dish soap in it. Use it dry and the grit fills with paint & becomes useless in two rubs like ordinary abrasive paper. Colour-matching chipped paint is a bastard, even if you get the right colour touch-up paint, the paint on the tank has been fading since 1978 and it ain't the same colour any more.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Paint on 78E

Thanks for the 4 relies. I have applied Bondo to the chips and am having a time getting them smooth to the surface. It seems I can still feel and dimple. I have the 4th coat on now after the first 3 sandings with a styrfoam block and 1500 grit.

Comment

Del, I am a little confused. The '78 model came as an E, and in '79 they introduced the "SF" model. Do you just have an early '79 Special, or is it a '78 Standard? The other question will be the paint color. If it is the "Macho Maroon", the easy way to match it will be take the tank down to an automotive paint shop, and have them mix you up a small quantity of paint to match. I would then use a clear with hardener over the complete tank, and it should be ready for the spring.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Paint for 78 Standard

Yes, I have the Macho Maroon 78 model, standard. Thanks for the tips on paint.

Comment

Working...
                X