No announcement yet.

DIY carb sync tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My appologies. My reasoning was obviously wrong, sorry it took so long to sink in what you guys were saying. Ken's explanation tactfully reasoned it.

Fred, you seem to be tactLESS. I guess I was ignorant on this subject.. but now I'm a little smarter. I changed... I doubt you will.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey, this was a great basic science review, but have we come to a concensus about the better of the two versions? The 2-sets of 2 columns vs. the set of four all connected together?

Comment

right on Randy, right on.

Some people say the 4 way wouldn't work but others have been using them for years with great success. So I guess it's up to each of us to bone up the 5 bucks in parts and build your own. We need 1/4" ID tubing right?
        79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

The vacuum nipples are actually 3/16". 1/4 is the fuel line size.

Comment

ok,

I'm going to build one, try it both ways and compare the findings to my mercury sticks. i'll post the results.

Comment

Sounds great randy. I'll probably be posting back this weekend about what to do when you suck up a quart of ATF into the carbs after building my 4 way!

Comment

How fat a tube was that?

Hi Manshack,
                what tube diameter will Randy be using?
                If the 4-way manometer is made of 3/16" tube and each leg holds a 30" high fluid column the entire system only holds perhaps 2-1/4 fluid ounces of ATF.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I was just lightening up the mood a little fred. but that does make me feel better about what's going to happen.

So I guess after hooking up the tubes to the 4 way I'll have to stick 2 of them into the quart of ATF and "drink" the fluid back through using the other 2 until it's halfway up the yard stick? Since you can't push the liquid you have to draw it in there somehow.

I'll be using 3/16th. I'm figuring 3ft up the ruler, 4 ft down to the carbs. 7 feet per strand, 28 feet all together. hang the whole thing by the ceiling rafter above the bike and sync away.

Comment

Don't misunderstand me, I will NOT use an open reservior. And, I will synch with the mercury stick FIRST.

Comment

Health warning

Hi Manshack,
                      nah, I bet ATF tastes nasty and I'd suppose if you accidentally swallowed some it'd act on you the same way as castor oil would.
                      I'd say use a veterinarian's syringe (the used ones found in back alleys are too tiny and have their own health hazards) or a small funnel to pour the stuff in.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by manshack_one

So I guess after hooking up the tubes to the 4 way I'll have to stick 2 of them into the quart of ATF and "drink" the fluid back through using the other 2 until it's halfway up the yard stick? Since you can't push the liquid you have to draw it in there somehow.
                        Get an extra foot of tube and leave the fourth tube off the adapter. Use the foot of tube from the fourth connector into a container of ATF. Hook the guage up to the bike and start it up. Keep a close eye on it and hit the kill switch when the fluid is a foot higher than the level you want.

Remove the foot of tube and replace the fourth line and allow to settle to level in all four tubes.

PS This method of filling will confirm an open reservior will not work.

Have at it fellas. I'm keen to hear how your experiences compare.
                        1981 XJ550RH
                        1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
                        1978 XS1100F X Streem
                        1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
                        Jet/Mod Calculator
                        Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

I've finally gotten mine about 90% done. just need to mount it to a board and fill it with ATF. Anyone else already finish and try it out? Maybe Randy?

Comment

ATF in small tubes... I suggest thinning the ATF down as a viscous fluid is kind of a pain in this scenario. Although my pair of tubes works well, this has inspired me to try out the 4-way.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The viscosity helps keep the flutter down.

Thinned out will still work but not really required.

Cmon guys, I've been waiting all weekend and half the week for some more experienced opinions.

Pick up the game eh!
                              1981 XJ550RH
                              1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
                              1978 XS1100F X Streem
                              1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
                              Jet/Mod Calculator
                              Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

The reason it needs to be thinned is tube wall adhesion and travel. First, if it is thick when the fluid climbs up a tube when you adjust it to bring it back down it is slow to respond and fluid remains on the walls of the tube slowly moving back down the column refilling the tube while your are using it.
                                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X