Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha new XS for the Tokyo motor show!!! Thats right, brand new XS (looks good too)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha new XS for the Tokyo motor show!!! Thats right, brand new XS (looks good too)!

Didnt see a topic here yet, but I am drooling for 2 days now.

I sure hope they start making them....

From the press release:

amaha Motor Co., Ltd. is proud to announce that it will be displaying 19 exhibition models in a booth organized around the concept of “The Art of Engineering” at the upcoming 40th Tokyo Motor Show 2007 to be held over the 16 days from Oct. 27 (Sat.) to Nov. 11 (Sun.) (Organizer: Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association; Venue: Makuhari Messe, Chiba Pref.; Special invitation day: Oct. 26). Among the world premiere models to be unveiled for the first time in the world at this Tokyo Motor Show, we introduce the special exhibition model, "XS-V1 Sakura," a model that boasts the latest technologies in its 1,000cc, air-cooled V-twin engine and chassis, while featuring a "Japanese style" look integrated with an image of the XS-1, Yamaha's first 4-stroke model (released in 1970 / 650cc).

As with the 37th and 39th shows, the Yamaha booth concept for the 40th Tokyo Motor Show is “The Art of Engineering.” In a more radical design than ever before, the booth seeks to express the true essence of Yamaha by presenting the entire booth as a “Yamaha Museum” and displaying models as works of art that are the realizations of Yamaha’s corporate principle: to be a company that creates Kando*. In this way we hope to express the possibilities and the beauties of the motorcycle as a vehicle and the enjoyment it can bring. The “art” we wish to express is steeped in the Yamaha philosophy that the surprises, excitement and new discoveries a motorcycle can bring are not to be found merely in performance specs. And, in order to allow visitors to fully appreciate these works of “art,” the booth is designed so that most of the models on display can be looked at from all angles.

The booth is also designed to present the conceptual art of Yamaha motorcycle design and engineering by presenting our definitive design ideals of (1) "GENESIS," the engineering ideal that sees the engine, the chassis and the other main components of a motorcycle not as individual mechanisms but as integrated parts of a single whole, (2) the "G.E.N.I.C.H." ideal that pursues the active adoption of the latest electronic control technologies in ways that achieve ever higher levels of “rider-machine communication” based on human perceptions, and (3) “Smart Power,” the concept of achieving both customer excitement and eco-friendliness with new power sources capable of creating exciting new riding experiences. We hope to also express the ideal of “Functional Beauty” in Yamaha motorcycles where performance is expressed directly in the sculpted forms of the motorcycle’s components in a high-level fusion of function and beauty.

Also, we display the “XS-V1 Sakura” (special exhibition model / prototype) as a symbol of our long-nurtured corporate philosophy. This is a V-twin sport model with a look of “Japanese style” in the image of Yamaha’s first 4-stroke model, the XS-1 (650cc), released in 1970. Its design is full of XS-1 DNA, in its simplicity and functional beauty and finds new refinement in a retro-modern aesthetic. It is a model that proposes a very Yamaha and very Japanese vision of premium motorcycling life, bringing together the unique characteristics of a 1,000cc air-cooled, V-twin model with its strong pulse feeling and easy-going running performance in a finely crafted body that is lightweight and slim and defined by a low seat height.

*Kando is a Japanese word for the simultaneous feeling of deep satisfaction and intense excitement that people experience when they encounter something of exceptional value.
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

I find it amazing that the same people that love the orignal XS go for all these goofy crotch rocket looking bikes.

Personally, I think this one, the FJs, and all the other crotch rockets are butt ugly.

That's why I like the original XS, power w/o the ugliness!

Add to that that this one isn't even close to an XS, (It's a VT) it's a new Virago. I have nothing against v twins, I own one of those too, but they are nothing like the good old XS1100.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Its supposed to take after the 650, not eleven.
      And yep, its a v2... Thats why I like it
      And no, I dont love the XS eleven that much... just didnt find anything better yet.
      BTW, dont see any crotch rockets here...

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Nup, The boner I got when I read the title soon disappeared when I saw the pic.

You can't reinvent class.
        1981 XJ550RH
        1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
        1978 XS1100F X Streem
        1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
        Jet/Mod Calculator
        Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

I'd rob that HID light off of it
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Looks cool to me, but why a v-twin? Was any XS ever a v-twin? I suppose the XS-V1 could mean the first V engined XS??? Not a fan of upright N-S v-twins. Front cylinder gets all the cold air. Ducati rotates the cylinders to get the airflow right, but it doesn't make for a pretty engine.
            2010 Kawasaki Z1000
            1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I'll stick with my 27 year old XS 1100 SG thanks. I too got excited over the title but the picture ruined it for me.
              1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

I almost love everything about the way it looks. Almost everything except the V-twin. Come on, make that bike with the FJR motor.
                79 XS11 special

Comment

OK, it's stark and that's a good thing.
                  ~60º V-twin fits the frame nice and should run smooth but not bland, fine.
                  Hesketh-inspired engine styling let's hope the Yamaha engineers didn't copy the Hesketh's self-destructing tranny.
                  Usual stylist-imposed tiny gas tank, inadequate seat and poor footrest positions.
                  And the colour? Let's be nice and call it "champagne" because calling it nipple-pink ain't polite. Yeah, I could do it over in black with gold pinstripes but it should have come that way from the factory.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

For reference, here's the original XS-1:

No v-twin there. Why do the Japanese maunfacturers feel they need to make every cruiser a v-twin? Do they feel they can't compete with H-D without one?
                    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I'ts OK, I can't really get worked up about it. I do however, like the MT-01, a bike they've never seen fit to import here.
                      http://www.motorcycledaily.com/yammt.html

The Suzuki B-king is another bike I wouldn't mind owning, and it is going to be imported
                      http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...suzuki-b-king/
                      Last edited by Guy_b_g; 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM.
                      Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

I don't mind cruisers being V-twins, the XS was never really a cruiser.... per se, it was a superbike you could drive to work, or to the opposite coast.

The Japanese do some really wierd things. I always shook my head at the Valkyrie, ostensiby a cruiser with a 5 ton engine in it. The flat 6 is awesome in the Gold Whale, but the GW is the Kenworth of motorcycles.

I always wanted to see a 1600 or 1800cc V-twin, ala the Shadow 1100, in a full decker. If they want to compete against Harleys in that category, the flat 6 was not the way to go.
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Am I just not seeing any rear brake pedal or foot pegs for the front?

It is retro looking, but as with the new Mustangs... I like the originals better.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

xs

after seeing theese bikes i know my xs1100 will be worth more every year
                            they bring more of that weird **** out.
                            lets keep our xs1100
                            as ever bill
                            bill hane

Comment

the last time i was at the local dealership,
                              they have all 4 honda, yamaha, kawi, and suzuki.
                              in 1 building
                              i asked the salesman if they even had an inline 4
                              he did find a lonely 750, off in the corner.
                              but he couldn't think of any others
                              kinda a shame

but that new XS is ugly
                              http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                              78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                              78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                              78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                              79F Parts
                              80G Parts
                              75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Working...