• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenfoot!

Not for the squeemish...

Dan
    Zipperfoot
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Oh Baby!

Now that is sexy!

Looks like it might be healing rather well, Dan... How long will it be before you have full use of it again? any idea? Did they say if you would lose any mobility? (don't believe it too much if they did... Dr.s told John he wouldn't be able to do several things after his back surgery... but he can do most of them now.)
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

I see you got the pc cam 2 work,

get better soon mate,
        we need 2 get some ridin in. :-)
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

My tap dancing days are over...

Good thing too, I kept falling into the sink

Nothing was mentioned re mobility/function but I suspect that there will be no long term disability.

I should be all better in four weeks or so which is a good thing given that it's Spring here and the riding will be great.

Pete and I will ride together soon. I'll take him north and see how he handles Dad's driveway

Crippled though I am, I just can't wait to get The Swiftcicle back home.

Dan
          Pining.
          Automotive Imbecile.
          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Back to work

Well I've done all the healing I'm going to do. It's frightening how quick the money runs out when you're laid up. I'm supposed to be still in a cast and supposed to be off for a couple more weeks however.....the day the hospital put the fibreglass prison on my leg I knew it wouldn't last. I went back to the hospital and had them saw the thing off promising I'd come back and get a new one fitted. I lied. I didn't make it this far listening to dogmatic 22yo medical professionals telling me how my leg would just fall off if I didn't obey them.

My leg is fine. No pain, no restriction of movement and more importantly, it's my fu*king leg!

So I'll take advantage of the Doctor's Certificate written on the day I had the surgery which put me out of action until today!

Lecture me not about Doctors knowing best. They don't have to live in the real world.

The Swiftcicle still resides in my father's garage and I have no clue how I'm going to get it back. I might have to have it trucked/floated/shipped/mailed/couriered back because I've used up all my sick leave and annual leave and won't be able to get up there for months

I miss him. He screams.

Dan
            Back in the saddle (almost)
            Automotive Imbecile.
            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Well...

I'd be glad to ride it back for you... but there's this distance thing...

Although... it would be a great excuse to finally get down under...

I broke my arm at 17 and being the moderately impetuous teen that I was... took my cast off for the same reasons you took yours off... The Dr had a fit but after x-rays... even he had to admit that it healed better than he thought it would...
              So I guess, like anything else, sometimes it works... and sometimes it doesn't...

Glad you are healing quickly!
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Geez, Dan I missed all this while I was away touring the country on holidays.

Good to hear no permanent damage.

And remember.......

Chicks dig scars!
                1981 XJ550RH
                1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
                1978 XS1100F X Streem
                1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
                Jet/Mod Calculator
                Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

At long last

Well The Swiftcicle will soon be home. A workmate needs to deliver a car to his daughter who lives about an hour away from my Dad so Friday he's giving me a lift up north.

I'll spend Saturday checking fluid levels, air pressure etc. It's been sitting on it's centre stand since September. I'll be riding it back home on Sunday.

By the time I get it home it will have done about 1200kms since the re-build so I guess I'll have to re-torque the head bolts and put 'normal' oil in him.

If anyone can think of anything else I should do before riding back to Sydney, please feel free to comment.

Dan
                  Driveway avoider.
                  Automotive Imbecile.
                  1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Jumper leads, in case the battery is tired or you gotta wind the bike over a bit before it'll fire. Some cable lube as they might of got a bit dry, don't forget speedo drive.

Dave
                    XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Got the jumper leads sorted, Dad's putting a trickle charger on it for me. Didn't think of the cable lube though. I just use Singer sewing machine oil, seems to work well, dosen't ball up or anything. What do you use? I've never checked the speedo drive so I'll be doing that for sure.

Dan
                      Automotive Imbecile.
                      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Dan, what are you doing out of bed so early??

I use one of the Inox sprays, you know, sheep oil. It's pretty thin, but still a pain to dribble in. Well speedo's easy enough, clutch is slow going.

Dave
                        XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

I've got an early start, I get commuters to work. I'm a bus driver.

I've found that it's just as easy to remove the clutch cable entirely then dribble the oil down it.
                          Automotive Imbecile.
                          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Back in the saddle again

Well I arrived at Dad's place early Saturday morning and set about preparing the Swiftcicle for the journey home. I oiled the cables, checked fluid levels (needed oil) and washed it. We have water restrictions in Sydney, can't use a hose.

When all was ready I kicked him in the guts. Dead battery. It just managed to turn the engine over once but it fired up.

I rode about two hours south and stopped at a Motel for the night. In the morning, still with the buggered battery, he started right up!

The rest of the ride home was magic. Plenty of power right through the rev range. Sat on or near the speed limit the whole way. I didn't wear my jacket, it was too hot and as a result my arms are fried, a nice shade of blazing red...

I've ordered a new battery that I'll pick up today. Now that he's run in, I'll need to re-torque the head bolts and do an oil change and then look forward to years of fun riding.

It's good to have the bike under me again. (At long last)

Dan.
                            Automotive Imbecile.
                            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Glad to hear all is good!!!!!

Thanks for letting us know about your lovely weather, it keeps snowing with periods of freezing rain here. I have shovelled every day now for the past couple of weeks.
                              Ernie
                              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X