• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down, but not out in Stralya!

copied from a PM

[quote]
    Stralya wrote on 10-02-2007 04:56 PM:

Right now I'm at my Father's place about 350ks's north of home in Sydney and I'm not sure when I'll be back.

I rode up here without incident, beautiful ride, arrived at Dad's place, hit a pothole in his driveway, fell off the bike which suffered no damage whatsoever and broke my ankle in three places!

I got out of hospital yesterday after they inserted steel pins and eight screws. I don't know yet how I'll get back to Sydney but when I do I'll parcel them up and send them to you, I just need your address.

I'm on my stepmother's computer so my on line time is limited. If you like you can copy and paste this into a thread so the rest of the boys know how I am.

Cheers mate
    Dan
    Cripple.

Ouch!

Friend of mine did the same thing this summer, w/o the personal injury. He was heading out to his Fiance's parents' acreage for a wedding rehearsal and hit some loose gravel on his CB900C.

Broke his windshield and a few scratches here and there, but no cast on the leg, luckily.

Hope you heal up fast!
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Have a few pints while you are laid up and relax. Can't do much of anything else
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Hey Dan,

I thought you guys down under were tough!! You didn't say which ankle? If it's your right one, no worries, you can shift gears with your left, and just use your front brakes, don't need to use the rear! You should be able to get a walking cast/rig easily!

Get well soon! T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Have a few pints while you are laid up and relax.
        Sounds like he may have already... that's why he fell over in a driveway! lol.

Get well soon Dan. (Cripple)

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oh man! I think that's enough for one week...

no more accidents... and I mean it!

Hope you're back up and riding soon!

Kat
          Friend of the trodden down
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Dave
            Dave
            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

"Everyone waits till the end of riding season to wreck."

Hey, since Stralya's away from his computer... we can misspell his name and he can't complain about it.
              STRAYLA... STRAYLA... STRAYLA.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Speedy recovery Dan...

A most unfortunate incident to cause so much damage , though, I'm not sure that I would have admitted it... . I think that I would have made up a BETTER story than that, maybe something along the lines of...

"I rode up here without incident, beautiful ride, arrived at Dad's place"... and, just as I rode into the driveway, Dad was backing out and, accidentally ran into me resulting with me being knocked "off the bike which suffered no damage whatsoever and broke my ankle in three places!"

BTW, isn't 350k's north of Sydney up somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?

Jus' wonderin'
                1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Dan, sorry to hear it.

Our summer's on the way in this part of the world. Not a good time to be unable to ride

Dave
                  XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the injury. Hope they gave you enough for the pain and hope it heals fast. Pins and screws? Sounds like they think you might be an XS as well?

Had three operations on my knee as a direct result of the bike blindsiding me as it came of the side stand. Not the most glamorous way of being injured on a bike.
                    Ernie
                    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Hi Stralya,

Sorry to hear you are hurt; Get well soon!

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hobbling along nicely.

Well thanks to everyone for your concern. I arrived home a couple of hours ago and went to Woolworths online to order in some supplies.

Dad drove me back to Sydney in his eco friendly Honda Civic then drove straight back home again. Not too bad for a 77yo bloke with lymphoma and a new hip, 700klms round trip!

OK, back to the accident. As I was pulling into his driveway, that part of the kerbside allegedly maintained by the council had a dirty great hole in it which stopped my bike dead. All I did was put my right foot down to steady the bike but there wasn't any ground under it, the terrain just sloped away and I found myself stepping into thin air. When I realised the bike was going to topple, I tried leaping away from it. What happened was I was trying to leap off pushing against nothing in particular and ended up taking the full weight of the toppling bike which was what broke my fibula and a acouple of other un named bones.

I stood straight up and started to right my bike with the help of six or seven of Dad's nieghbours. I stood it up, started it and rode it into the garage. It was around this time I noticed the pain. And what pain!!!!!

Anyhoo, I'm all screwed back together now, at home recouperating. I can't be an XS egsols, the screws actually fit

Thanks AlanB, I'll be up and about in no time. I still need to get my bike back home then all will be well.

Hey Dave, yeah, beautiful riding weather but I should only be down four oe five weeks so I'll get most of Summer in.

Hey XSilerating, yeah, I should have tarted up the story a bit but I figured the sillyness of the actual event suited me 350klms due north puts you on land, like me, Australia bulges out a bit on the sides.

Hey Prom, if you can't spell, it's not up to me to educate you. Just try harder next time

Thanks to the friend of the trodden down. I tread on air myself. No future in it though

Tod, I haven't had a beer for over a week but I'll take dpotter's advice and have a few tonight.

TC, we're tough, anyone else would have lost both legs, an arm and part of their head

I think that about covers it. I'm stuck here for a while or at least until Dad posts my keys. Yep, I left them at his place.

Dan
                        I blame the drugs.
                        Automotive Imbecile.
                        Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                        '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Home Sweet Home

Good to hear you're back home... there's no place like it, especially when you've been away through no choice of your own .

I cringed when I read your description of the incident. 'Stepping into thin air' has a feeling unto its own and, for a brief, fleeting moment, has you questioning 'what to do next' ! Like the Coyote chasing the Roadrunner, as the Coyote steps off the cliff... . Then you realize that your f...............! Well, let's just say that you know the feeling and, it gives new meaning to the phrase 'nowhere to go' .
                          What's truly amazing, is that you were not only able to stand up, but, also able to right the bike... start it AND... ride it into the garage!! !! It's amazing what a little adrenaline will do !

Take care and a speedy recovery .
                          1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                          1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                          1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                          1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                          2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Not only that.....

I put it on the centre stand!

Yep, adrenalin is a wonderful thing.

Your Road runner description was right on the money

Australia and New Zealand are out of the Rugby World Cup. I'm so depressed I could ride a Harley.

Back to the Bathurst 1000. I'm a Ford man.

Dan.
                            Square eye.
                            Automotive Imbecile.
                            Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                            '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Glad to hear you're back!!!!!
                              Ernie
                              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X