No announcement yet.

Why an Eleven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somehwere around here there's a thread on that subject.

I just clearly recall the the bike was popular in the late 70's. Up until the then the Z1 dominated the streets. But after the advent of the Eleven things changed...hehehe.

I have a vivid memory of a warm summer night in 1979 on the street of a small west Texas town where I was raised. We were parked on the side of the street watching traffic go by...any one that understands small town life must remember the activity of "Draggin Main".

My friend and I were riding that night. He had a Z1...I had a Western Flyer wink wink. A black '79 Special came rolling down the street. We had never seen a Special before. Being it was night the thing looked extra mean. The guy had a Kerker 4-1 header and it sounded badd. He exclaimed "Oh my gosh....that's one of those new Yamaha 1100!" I poked him ..."yeah....go get him!" He looked me dead in the eye and said "Kiss my azz Griffin!"

Ah those were the good old days...when Yamaha was knee deep in the Cold War of muscle bikes. Now what are they doing? Building a Geritol Express affectionately referred to as a "Fudger" (FJR). I'm utterly dis-enchanted with Yamaha not steppin up to the plate to compete with Suzuki's Hay Bus and Kawasaki's ZX14. Of course those two entities have always been the leaders of the great "pissing contest".

Oh well...things change.
    Last edited by MAXIMAN; 09-27-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Cody, the choir preacher

"I guess you're right Pearl. A man would be a darn fool to leave all this."
      Cody, you watch too much TV if you can remember all that crap , but do like my 11's for simular reasons.

mro

Comment

Actually I watch NO TV! I can't stand TV of today. Utterly boring and un-entertaining. But back in the day I was a huge fan of the Beverly Hillbillies. Of course I was only 8 or 10 years old. Classic comedy!

And that was one line from an episode I will never forget.
        They don't make that quality of TV anymore...and they don't make that quality of bike (XS11) anymore either.

And again I'll quote the Duke..."Yep...things change"

Comment

Out for a ride on US52 down along the Ohio river. I pulled into a little rest area. There was a group of 6 to 8 guys and ladies on Harleys. I wasn't even off my bike before they came up an were looking over my old rat 78E. No one made any fun of it. They were amazed when they found out I took a solotrip down thru the Smokies last year, and that I have well over 15k miles on it since last May. One of the guys even said that he would never, ever try a 2000 mile trip on a 30 year old Harley. So there you go. Cream rises to the top.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Jeffe I had something similar happen on my "Time Machine" '79 F. The thing is near NOS. From a distance it looks NOS>

I pulled into the Yammy Dealers lot and didn't even get it on the stand when a guy walked up and said "Oh my gawd! I havent seen one that slick since I bought mine new in '78!"

He riding one of those Road Star things ...you know...a Harley wannabe.

Yet another reason I am utterly digusted with the Japs. They used to do there own thing and it was very cool. Now they are pre-occupied with coying Harley Davidson....BLAH!

Comment

“But another reason I love is Elevens is because of you. That's right...YOU! You reading these ramblings. I have gained so many friends at this website and through my association with XSives.”:

You thilly thavage: you know I love you too!
              Theriouthly… I mean seriously, I double that devotion. What a bunch of great enthusiast!

Plus: I have owned at least a dozen bikes in the past (ohmygod) 47 years, and my ’79 XS11s is the very best bike I have ever owned. Best? The fastest, quickest, most reliable, easiest to work on bike ever. My second favorite was my Suzuki X6 Hustler, which was almost as quick (0 to 60,) and better handling, but couldn’t cruise at 80 mph all day like the XS.

I have never owned another bike that I felt safe just checking the oil and taking off on a 500 mile trip.

And I too occasionally have guys come up to me and say something like: “Is that an XS11? Man, I lusted after one of those when they came out!” Or, ”I had one of those, back in (fill in the blank,) but I had to sell it. Man, what a mistake!”

My brothers and sisters of XS, we are amonge the elite of motorcyclist! Do not doubt it for a moment!
              E.Liberty
              Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
              I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Why an eleven?

Well they're Stralya proof. Need I say more?

And tomorrow morning I set off on a 700km round trip to see my Father. He's getting on now and has Non Hodgkins Lymphoma which is as fatal as old age. He's 78 in November and has just last week got back from a trip around the UK. The old bastard is fit as a Mallee Bull and twice as dangerous!

My personal Guru, Pete, has explained what not to do and what to do so the bike will be fine.

Dad still rides. He's always been a Classic Harley man though. His last bike was a 1929 7/9! He dosen't like the modern stuff but stands back and looks at my XS with supressed delight. He now rides a Honda Lead. Hey, it's still a bike with an engine! He says he can climb trees on it.

He remembers when I turned 21. He asked me what I really wanted. I told him I wanted one of those brand new Yamaha XS1100's. He said, "F&^K OFF!" I got a bottle of Port.

I'm lucky to still have my Dad. I love him.

Dan
                Weepy idiot.
                Automotive Imbecile.
                Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Re: Why an eleven?

Originally posted by Stralya
                  Well they're Stralya proof. Need I say more?
                  Yeah but Dan...is it "Strayla proof?"

Seriously...your father sounds like a riot. I would love to meet him AND you when I come to "stralya"...or OZ ...or whatever you call that massive island known as a continent down under.

Hmmmm...I know ya rent a Wing to tour stralya...wonder if a fella could rent an Eleven.

Comment

i like my 11 for all those many reasons,and
                    also because it's a small bike wiyh a sig motor. kaw and gs's are like tractor/trailers.
                    as ever bill
                    bill hane

Comment

I didn't go looking for my XS1100, it found me.
                      My Grandma passed-away and I had some money. I was looking to buy a bike as I hadn't had one in several years. Of course I was drooling over the new crotch-rockets, a CBR1000 was what I wanted butI steered away from it. I would want to start racing again and I'm too old for that anymore.
                      I don't like Harley or Harley clones.
                      That left me with enduros (dual-sport is the new moniker). I zero'd in on the Suzuki DRZ400L.
                      Before I took the plunge I was told that someone at work was selling a motorcycle....cheap.....$50. I went and talked to her and got the scoop. Her ex-husbands bike that never ran the whole time they were together. She was selling it because she was moving. She'd told him several times since they split to come get his stuff and he never did.
                      It was in the back of her garage (duplex storage unit). Fairing was broken off the mounts, seat beyond ripped, faded paint. She said it had been outside uncovered for nearly 20 years.
                      So that's when my E came to live with me. I asked her how much $ for it. She said "whatever it's worth". I knew nothing about XS1100 and this one was in sad shape. I said it was mentioned that she'd take $50 and she was fine with that. I also bought a drill press, radial arm saw, table belt sander, heavy-duty planer, and other odds and ends for an additional $100. All I had was twenties so she got $60 for the bike.
                      Got it running and by cracky that bike ran great!! Thus the name "$60 gem".
                      I was going to offer her more money when I found out how good the bike ran but she got fired. I didn't know where she moved to so things turned out as they were supposed to I guess.
                      A few years later another co-worker with an XS1100 offered me his bike for $500. Now I have the LG to keep the E company.
                      These bikes have the longevity to be running after 30 years, and they can keep-up with anything out there until it starts getting stupid. Yes a 'busa is faster but is it safe to prove it? The XS can have all the bling and glittery chrome to match any Harley for far less money. The XS's only failing is it's not that good as a dirt bike.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat Kelly you make me SICK!

An Eleven and a whole shop full of tools for less than $200!!!

Geez...Why do I only hear about these deals?
                        Last edited by MAXIMAN; 09-29-2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

My SG (bike in the avatar) was picked up in Colorado as a running, 9000mile stocker for $80 by a fellow Scot.

He rode it around during a 3 month holiday, then brought it back to the UK with another six or seven bikes.

He wanted £600 for it over here. I wanted the bike, but thought it was too expensive. I bought half of it (the rolling chassis), my brother got the motor and electrics for his Trike.

I fitted the "missing bits" from an accident damaged XS11 chopper I had. I paid £150 for that, but had sold £250 off it in bits, so the basic SG, sorted out and on the road cost me £200.

I paid more than that for the FZR1000 front end.......

If my counting is correct, I think that he 4:00x17 rear wheel and radial tyre just took the total price to over £1000.

I am notoriously "careful" with my spending.....

AlanB
                          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
                          X