Why an Eleven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why an Eleven?

I know I am preaching to the choir here...but bear with me.

I've been considering a new bike...a Concours 1400. And I'll likely buy one in the future. But several times in the recent past I've had people scratch their heads and ask "Why would you choose to ride an antiquated machine like that?" Just today I was telling someone I was considering buying a new Concours. Their response was "What is there to consider? Your riding a 30 year old bike. What in heavens name for man?"

Some people are clueless when it comes to riding. They think it's all about style...or speed...or image. This guy had probably never been on a road trip more than 500 miles. he's probably never had his carbs overflow in the middle of Nevada. He's probably never punched a hole in his tire on a busy interstate and have to plug it with cars whizzing by at 80 mph. But he razzed me a bit and I answered quick and to the point.

I ride an Eleven for several reasons...the main being that is what I choose to ride because I believe it is a great bike. It's not a matter of money. I can afford to ride whatever I want. And I want an Eleven.

You know that old Eleven is hard to beat in the grand scheme of things.

The thing never breaks...but...BUT... if it does give some mechanical glitch on a road trip...it just is no problem. One of the major advantages I see to riding an Eleven is I can work on it. The power train on that bike is so simple...so straight forward and uncomplicated...even an idiot such as myself can work on it with ease.

A new Concours would likely never give any problem either. But dear God if it did! I can imagine myself somewhere between Bend, Oregon and Boise, Idaho when a glitch occurs on that thing...or any new water cooled, computer controlled contraption (FJR, BMW, Honda who cares?) What a nightmare.

And on these new bikes there is so many more headaches to deal with...fuel injection...electronics...computers ... emissions systems...and all the CRAP that goes with them. I will still probably get a Concours in the future but like I said before...the Eleven is a tough critter to beat mechanically.

But another reason I love is Elevens is because of you. That's right...YOU! You reading these ramblings. I have gained so many friends at this website and through my association with XSives.

Who needs a manual if you're on the road and have a problem. Just get to a computer with internet and tap the volume of knowledge here.

The XS1100 is beauty simplified. It is literally a more simple way to ride...yet it gets the job done in a powerful way...in a first rate fashion.

One of my favorite lines (and funniest) is from the Beverly Hillbillies. Aunt Pearl is talking to Uncle Jed right after Mr. Brewster from the Tulsa oil company informs Jed he's a millionaire many times over. She says "Jed I suppose you'll be moving to Cal-ee-farnya or Noo Yark Ceety seein' howz your wealthy now?" Jed replies "Now what would I do that fer PEARL!?" She goes on a tirade and yells"WHADDAYA MEAN? Yur run over with bugs and rats...your roof is constantly leaking....you eat turnip greens, possum innards and hog jowls and YOUR BATHROOM IS 100 FEET FROM YOUR HOUSE AND YOU ASK WHY YOU SHOULD DO THAT?!?!?"

Jed stares into the sky deep in thought and replies "I guess you're right Pearl. A man would be a darn fool to leave all this."

A lot of people look at me and other XSives and say much the same thing Why would we continue to ride an antiquated motorcycle when we could have the most complicated modern gizmo. I suppose it's like Jed Clampett. There is virtue in a simpler lifestyle.

Very well said, couldnt agree more.
    1978 1100E Standard
    2 1985 700 Maxim's (black & red)
    1986 600 Radian (basket case)
    1979? GS1000 (no title)
    1980 1100SG Special

Comment

I myself to date have not had one person ever ask me or question why I prefer to ride my 79 1100. If anything I hear mostly NICE BIKE ... followed by the usual ... what is it, where did you get it, etc.
      For me the XS1100 .. The 1978 through 1982 flag ship of Yamaha, in any configuration, is a bike with TRUE CLASS and classic style. It's bike that can run NAKED with any pack of plastic clad bikes and look great even 28 years after it was built. They still turn heads. I would not trade it for any bike I have seen to date. Yes I will acquire other bikes but just for variety.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Why an 11

Well put Maximan. The 11 is an easy bike to tinker with.I enjoy riding something that is rare and I believe I have the only one in the Bloomsburg,Pa area.I have considered other bikes also but come back to the fact that there is no other forum like this and the wealth of information is incredible!!

Comment

Funny thing...

I was just looking at Concourses today also thinking about it as a future ride... Good choice. I couldn't find anything about mpg on them though. That's my major deterent against the FJR.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod

I have read 6 or 7 published magazine grade reviews of the Concours 14 (C14).

One review indicated a high of 46 mpg Low of 27 mpg and an average of 36 mpg. Most of the reviews I've read indicate an average of 35 to 37 mpg. The bike holds 5.8 gallons and thus has a range of about 200 miles.

But I've started a thread on the Concours in "Other Bikes"...let's take this over there and not hijack this thread to the Connie. This thread was aimed at reasons for riding an Eleven instead of a C14.

Comment

Why not ask the same question to someone who drives a '68 Mustang GT fastback?

Or a 1982 Porche 911?

Or a 1976 Alfa Romeo Spyder?

Or a 1984 Chevy Camaro IROC Z/28 (only without the mullet please)?

Or a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am?

Why is it classic cars have more cool cache than classic bikes?

Cody, your bike is slick and only those who know these machines would really know it's age. And if they do they should know better than to ask such a question.
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

In the past ten years I have only seen one other Eleven here in the New Orleans area and I think he was just passing through. There are a couple of 78-80 Hondas here and thats about all I see. Everything else is a V-twin or a plastic rocket. So I own kind of a rare beast for my area.

Whenever I ride, heads always turn. If I stop for a cold drink, someone always gravitates over to look and talk. I live on a high traffic street and when my machine is parked under the carport, most people pulling up to the stop sign at the corner look over. They may not always know what it is but they can see that it is a rare old machine.

I do not often get the question why I ride a 30 year old rice burner but when I do I simply reply, "if you have to ask you will never understand".
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Well said. I to have pondered a newer rig but go thru my list of pros and cons. Right now, the cons outweigh the pros. My XS does everything I ask of it. I feel it is a dramatically handsome machine with character and a history few bikes can match. In the many years I have owned it, I have gotten countless positive comments. You hit the nail on the head with its simplicity and stubborn determination to keep running. The few problems were easily fixed, most of them with help from this site. I cringe when a check engine light comes on in one of the cars, it should simply be a dollar sign that lights up. The diagnostic tools required to figure out a problem on a late model bike or car are out of reach of the shade tree mechanic in most cases. My main cage is a 32 year old truck, made out of steel, and horsepower was made with pure cubic inches and CFM. No computers, no sensors needed. My '02 Mazda has to date, been trouble free but its a matter of time before somthing goes wrong. Will you see '07 bikes on the road 20+ years from now? Call me old school but I will take a inline 4 with a bank of pesky carbs or a V8 with a 4bbl you can stick your fist thru the secondaries any day. Now, where did I put my reading glasses?
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Call me old school but I will take a inline 4 with a bank of pesky carbs or a V8 with a 4bbl you can stick your fist thru the secondaries any day. Now, where did I put my reading glasses? [/B][/QUOTE]

They probably got sucked into the secondaries of that 1150 CFM Holley dual feed, double pumper.

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150
                      I cringe when a check engine light comes on in one of the cars, it should simply be a dollar sign that lights up.

Hey Webb...you coming to Talihina?

Comment

What I find funny (and great), is pulling up to a bike shop and talking to some of the people outside.

The conversation always seems to go:

"Is that an eleven?"

"Yep."

"My friend had one of those; it was so fast. I had a Kaw 1000, that I thought was fast, but he could beat me every time"

It always seems to be the same -- always someone who's friend had an XS 11, and he had the big Kaw.

'78E

Comment

Nearly all the guy that have ridden for more than a few years know what the Eleven is and generally repsect the thing.

Something that puzzles me is the value of the Eleven.

For instance the Z1 and CBX have tremendous value in the open market...even the Magna and many GS1100E. The former of these will go for as high as 15,000 dollars if pristine. The latter I've seen sell for 5 or 6 grand.

Personally I put the Eleven in the same category as these bikes in terms of it's impact on cycling and the history of bikes. Still I've never seen a slick Eleven go for much more than $3,000.

I did once see a crated Eleven still coated in cosmoline the guy was askng $12K for. Never heard if he got it. And last year I saw a NOS Midnight on Cycletrader...had 9 miles on the clock they were askin 10 grand. But the bike was on there for months and months. I never heard if they got the price.

Point is I've seen the others with several thousand miles go for several thousand dollars whereas the Eleven doesn;t generally hold that high a value.

Oh well...lucky me huh? That just means I can afford to have 4 or 5 of the greastest parked in the shop!

Comment

A guy saw my bike one day. "Is that an 11?"
                            "Yes", I said.
                            "I had a 78 Standard, first one on the coast. I never lost a drag race with that bike."
                            He had a few more comments about 11s and one or two about The King of Kong.
                            I saw a poster on his wall about a "Shake & Bake" Harley rally in Nevada. He may have gone over. But he smiled when he talked about his 11.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

It would be interesting to see the sales figures and how well the eleven did against the competition back in the day. And also how many were produced, though I'm always told, "You don't see many of those anymore."
                              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Working...
                              X