Just back from a HD ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just back from a HD ride

Just got back from a five hour HD rental ride. All I can say is WHY!?!?!?!?
    The HD was a Road King with a handlebar windscreen, saddle bags, and NO POWER. It had the 88 inch motor, and when I tried to pass a car, it took ALL I could give it to get over 75 MPH from 50MPH. Granted, it was an older one with the 88 inch motor, and a carb. But after talking with the guy at the rental place, here in Kaui, I don't think the newer one would be much different.
    I needed to ride, as the time in a car was getting too me. The Harley was available, and not THAT much. I did notice I could NOT go into high BELOW 50, without having the bike complain!! I also needed to shift all the time, as the speed on the island is 25 to 50MPH. I know my XS1100 would be in fourth all the time, because of the 750 final drive. the big difference would have been the handling, torque, and horse power the HD DIDN'T have.
    I now now, and my girlfreind agrees, NO HD in my future, unless they do more to make it a RIDABLE bike.
    JMHO
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

this stolen from a motorcop forum

I live in Houston, I know hot and humid. In the worst heat, it doesn't really matter what you wear if you have to work outside for 10h. But should a three month period in a small part of the country dictate the rule? Because I see motorcycle cops in ridicolous horseriding apparel all over the country. To me it's obvious that you need to have gear adapted to the geography, season and task. Like I will have warm and cold weather gear, and rain gear, so should the police. If you can hunt down bad guys in the double cavalry trousers, then you can hunt them down in my mesh pants. It seems to me that they care to much about "good" looks.

I don't know anything about how things are organized here, but purchasing seems to be a very local thing? In Europe, the police is mostly a national organisation. They will have a central purchasing function that specifies, tests and approves all equipment to be used. This gives them buying power, and they can have things specially made if the commercially available gear is not good enough. (Uniforms, tools, etc, required to do a job is almost always provided in Europe, in any line of work.)

An important function of the central purchasing is the thorough testing and approval of all equipment used. A funny example is when the Harley importer tried to take a piece of BMW's action a few years back by giving a bike to the local police department. The bike was tested, and the verdict was: "This bike is unsafe at any speed, and is not approved for police usage. If we could decide, it would not be allowed for use on public roads at all."
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

"Ray... will ye ne'er learn?"

Diver Ray goes to Kaui...
      Does he dive?
      No.
      He rents a Hog.
      I thought hogs were just for luau's?

You already know what Harley's are like, Ray.
      Were you just out slummin'?
      I think it would have been better if you'd not told us about this.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Prom, I HAVE to tell the good, and the bad. The winter surf has come in early, and alas, I CAN'T GET a dive together!!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

I had forgotten what it's like over there this time o' year.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Ridin' in Hawaii!!!

Woo hoo...I bet it fun even on a frickin Hardly!

There is no difference between the RK you rode and the new ones. After Brent and I got home he told me the next road trip he makes he will likely do it on his Eleven.

He said there were several times over the 6000 mile jaunt he had real problems staying up with us. One time in southern Utah going back home he really had a time going up hill into a head wind. He said he could barely get the thing up to 70 mph.

What else can I say. They are underpowered but that's nothing new. One thing about the old kick start vibrator. It consistently got better mileage than any of the Elevens averaging 42 to 45. (Oh yes other than Ray's trick of getting 50 mpg with his "engineer's" math)

But personally I'd rather get 36 to 38 and have the UMPH! of an Eleven.

Comment

Surely the ones with the 100+ cubic inch motors would do better wouldn't they? I'm still in no way tempted to get one, but I was just wondering.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

How original, another lets kick Harleys in the nuts thread.

You would think that someone with the potential intelligence of DiverRay would think of something else to start a new thread about. Something like, I'm in Hawaii and the riding is killer even if I can't ride my favorite bike.
                By the negativity of your post, it sounds to me like you are not having a good time.
                We don't care how bad Harley's ride/drive, we all know that they are crap, that subject has been beat to death on every thread across the web, since the beginning.
                So, come on man, how's the scenery, hows the food, do the beaches look as good in real life as they do on TV? Are there Hot babes walkin around in bikinis all over the place? Did you and your girl make luv in the dark sands, on the beach at the base of a volcano?
                How bout some pictures (not of you and the girl makin luv) of some Hot babes in bikinis and mountains and beaches and ...

Comment

hey ray,

i know we are all motorheads and mechanically inclined some more than others, me the less able, but no less enthused,

thank you for spending your own money to experience that hardly
                  in enough time to get a feel for what it was, yeah, i never spent too much time lookin into it, like even reading about it.and thank you for the road test article, albeit short...

until recently, i wondered what the mystique was, it must be that diehard patriotisim, for someone to play with motorized 2 wheel in that price range, ( they do hold their value, but those funds can be invested better i think)and get half the performance,nothing wrong with that either, nothing wrong with posing, heck i live in los angeles, even pennyless film star wannabees pose here, nothing wrong witdat either, to each their own.

but i have to admit that, 21 inch and 16 inch laced wheels with a black on black paint on a chopper with a v twin is not all that offensive to me, even appealling, leading me to read a recent online article shootout, v rod, midnight warrior, v max, yada yada.
                  v max ruled what's that say?

for the first time getting the skinny on what the best of the best v twin criusers can muster, and it is an embarrasment and appalling, silly, sad, and shameful, that in this day an age anyone can dispense that kind of lack of performance ( in all aspects of riding, handleing, braking, roll on etc.), heck if the money machine aint broke just keep foolin them.

so... it was perfect timing ray, a flame of curiousity was flickering in me about them bikes and now it is extinguished, my appricieation for what i now own grows, the mighty eleven never needs vindication, for when astaddled, and hammering away below you the masterpiece of an engine jamming thru the wind,
                  is reassurance that you'll make it home, those hefty brakes, going unsung until they bring you down from the wind, speeds that modern v twin would never see, knowing the first bend on the road is just that the first and not the last, that is what the eleven is to me.

a badass crusier that can take a huge load and go and go and go.
                  Last edited by mason79; 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM.
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

He's got a one track mind, Gene

Leave it to Ray to go to Hawaii and then write us about bikes...

Pics would be great! My request... no pics of guys in Speedos...
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Quote:
                      Pics would be great! My request... no pics of guys in Speedos.

+1 !!!!!

Last edited by GNEPIG; 09-23-2007, 12:33 PM.

Comment

hey wildkat, i thought you were a gay man, why wouldn't you want pics of gays in speedos? justkiddin besides ray would ever point a camera at something like that,...
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Alo-o-o-ha Ray!
                          I didn't include in my Tahoe ride report about a minor but sh!t eating grin inspiring event on the ride back. On Hwy 80 west bound out of Sacremento we were riding in a fairly tight pack of 8 bikes in the #2 lane of 3 west bound lanes. I was riding tail and since Ray didn't stop for gas in Sacremento and I was getting low, I wanted to catch up to him and signal to him. I peeled of to the right hand lane and turned up the wick. We were already going close to eighty and I caught up to Ray in about 4 seconds.
                          80 to over 100 MPH in 4 seconds and I still had throttle left.! What a rush!
                          By the way, my bike's odometer ticked over to 90,000 miles while we were in Virginia City.
                          Hope you're having a great time Ray.
                          E.Liberty
                          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

I'll send pics once I'm back home, and I'm able to remember the password for my account.
                            I hope to be able to dive in the morning, but I still have to see. I did take pictures today, as I have every day since I've been here. I will post pics of the scenery, but all in a "family friendly" manner.
                            I'm still trying to get some homework done, as I am trying to learn something new! I know some people can't understand this, but in my job, you ALWAYS learn!
                            Wildkat, I'll try to get something posted for John, but I'll make sure if the twins see it, they won't be asking questions!
                            More posts after I get back Tuesday night.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Something for John?

No Ray... it's all about me! me me me me me

(I am not opposed to pics of nice looking women who are scantily clad... just guys in Speedos... Cody's pic will be giving me nightmares for years to come)
                              Man... I appreciate you keeping it so the girls won't ask questions though... At this point in their lives... the questions are getting MUCH more difficult to answer...

81 SH Something Special
                              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X