Usmma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usmma

Well, some people have been wondering what I have been doing up here. Here are some of my highlights:
    sailing
    USMMAsailing2
    photos
    don't worry. Its not me at the end of the line. I had to temporarily relive my helm duties to take pictures. This was after a long day of sailing today. The wind varied from 10mph to 1.8mph(that sucked) Most everyone was flying asymetrical spinnakers which helped them but we did not have one so we had to use our jib more often. Then the wind picked up and when I took back over the helm on the way home, I had us going up to 10mph motor sailing. We have an RPM limit on our diesels so that was fast. And yes, that is MPH not Knts. Our gps is configured incorrectly.
    Last edited by HobbyMan; 09-09-2007, 08:08 PM.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

That looks like a blast!!

Definitely a helluva way to get an education!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

All work and no play make Hobbyman a dull boy. Glda to see that you are having some fun there. Keep it up Bud, the Sea is an enticing Mistress.
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

I could almost smell the sea air!

Brings back memories. I was never in the navy or anything like that, but used to live on a 42' ketch-cutter.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

"Rum, buggery and the lash."

Oh, sorry, that was the British navy...
          Nice pictures, (though I could have done without seeing that one of your knobby head)

Spinnakers and jibs...
          I am very familiar with those nautical words... (as I do a lot of crossword puzzles.)

Keep up the good work, HobbyMan.
          I shall watch "Popeye" cartoons tonight in your honor.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

PRO, you should have seen me completely bald. It was a little rough today so we couldn't wake board with the cabin deck plates. They did that last year. We have to do something to get our minds off of the Regiment and school. I wish I could tell you all of the spirit missions (pranks) we have done soo far. Suprisingly only two police reports have been filed from the actions of our class so far. We need to have as much fun this week as possible because after next weekend we can get "stuck" and put on restriction. Right now they can only IT us. Our class is actually making a big impression on the school. The incoming plebe football players are already getting higher stats than the upperclassmen. There are several other things that we have done that have impressed the upperclassmen.
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Nice boat

Its not me at the end of the line
              Beginners mistake...
              Need to keep the bait in the water longer when trolling if ya want to catch something

mro

Comment

"Rum, buggery and the lash."
                Oh, sorry, that was the British navy...

Hi Pro,
                um, actually, that's the Royal Navy.
                According to my Uncle Tim who sailed the seven seas for six years during WW2 aboard the light cruiser HMS Broke seeking out the enemy and never actually finding him, the British army "wine, women & song" was translated in the RN to "Rum, bum & gramophone records." Uncle Tim also claimed that United States Navy personnel were stupid. "They would invite us onto their ships and feed us on steak, ice cream and Coca-Cola. All we could offer them on their return visits was bully beef, ship's biscuits and a shot of rum but still they insisted on coming over."
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

HobbyMan.

I didn't think the Merchant Marine Academy keel hauled cadets any more

I like the streamlined haircut but I don't think it will make the ship go any faster though.

Keep up the good work! We're all proud of ya
                  Nubee

Comment

I didn't think the Merchant Marine Academy keel hauled cadets any more
                    Well, not intentionally.
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hobbyman,
                      I thought you were up on the Great Lakes somewhere, but it looks like you are out on Long Island. Hang in there, dude. You have a lot of old guys, many with prior military service, pulling for you. I'm sure that the same open mind and curiousity you have exhibited on this forum will help carry you through your training. Keep us posted as I think we all feel we have an investment in your success. And watch out for anyone with a British accent in the shower...
                      80 G "The Beast"
                      81 H "The Dresser"
                      79 XS650 II
                      82 650 Maxim
                      70 DT-1 Enduro
                      66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                      96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Don't worry. I am careful in the showers. It was hard to be careful during indoc. Imagine 30 smelly guys cramming into a shower with 6 shower heads and usually all in less than 2 min. That means we had to single file down the hall in robes, shower, and get back on line in the time given. They did not necessarily promote cleanliness. We were not allowed to run in our shower shoes. The best time during indoc was when they gave us 5 min to shower. WOW that felt good. I got to use soap for the first time in 2 weeks that day. I can't say indoc was that difficult but they made us earn EVERYTHING.
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

originally posted by John
                          And watch out for anyone with a British accent in the shower...
                          Voice of experience???

mro
                          "Army of one" is just hype, boots are to learn that all are equal, need to think, react and work as a team. Have heard that they may not be yelling etc. at the recruits now a days. Wonder whats next.

Comment

Isn't the U.S. Navy Motto "We shall never leave our friend's be-hind?"

Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I am glad that you decided to give offshore sailing a chance. Best sport there in my opinion. Brings back lots of memories.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X