Usmma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, you call that offshore?

Wait until your second guessing your navigation skills, when you haven't seen land for nearly a month!

It took us nearly 28 days from San Francisco to Hawaii.

Funny part is there was a guy who sailed from SF to Hawaii, at around the same time, in a Zodiac set up for sailing.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Before and After

I can only imagine what happens next...

Glad to see you are having some fun up that way...
      (and not getting into TOO much trouble in the process)

That truly looks like a blast!

Ummmmm... hopefully you are out of the "pulling your hair out" stage...

81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

What navigation skills?

Wait until your second guessing your navigation skills, when you haven't seen land for nearly a month!
        It took us nearly 28 days from San Francisco to Hawaii.
        Hi Crazcnuk,
        never read "Trustee from the toolroom"?
        Don't need no nav. skills from 'frisco to Hawaii. There's an airliner on a great circle course going there every hour or less. Just follow the vapour trails.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Maybe there is NOW!

When we did it, dad used a sextant....

He took Celestial navigation by correspondance from a school in Ontario. He did all his lessons here in Hinton, AB!

That first jaunt of nearly a month out of sight of land was a real test. Especially when you remember that the Hawaiin islands, for the most part, don't stick much out of the water, so you have to be relatively close before you see them.

Inthose days a cheap Satnav system was almost $4000.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Isn't the U.S. Navy Motto "We shall never leave our friend's be-hind?"
            Oh Crazy, you're pushing it. Actually, that's the Greek Navy (apologies in advance to all Greeks...)

Do you know how the Canadian sailors find their ships? With a Glass bottomed boat.
            Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
            78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
            02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

If I had known earlier, I would have let everyone know about this. If I had known about it, I would have bought one. The USMMA just sold off all of their old lathes. My instructor said that they have been there from the 60's. I watched the last thing machined on those machines. They last few sold for about $300. They are in perfect working order. We got new ones that are gear driven but they are in a shipping container outside. I must say it is sad to see this awesome equipment go for so cheap. I got to play around with the last one before they disconnected the power. From what I have seen on the market today, these are still substantial.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
              X