No announcement yet.

Network question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, creating a common user will work also The reason I like to go through the Local Security Policy is b/c I go to LAN events and ppl always need this patch or that driver and I dont want to give them each a username
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Well, now I am totally confused. Created a user account on the Win98 machine, named the same as the user account on the XP machine. Now, the Win98 machine can "see" the XP machine and also access files and printer. The XP machine is still "blind" to the
      Win98 machine's presence.

What I am after is a simple network, where I can access files from other computers.. no special user names, or groups, etc. Is that possible with this system, or am I searching for the holy grail here?
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

What I am after is a simple network, where I can access files from other computers.. no special user names, or groups, etc. Is that possible with this system, or am I searching for the holy grail here? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm working on it, but you don't want to be too "Open". When I first changed over from dial-up to cable, I could see and access eleven other computers on the lake. Needless to say, I contacted those that I knew and suggested security measures.
        Sidecarmikel
        aka Mike Laubenstein
        Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS1100 soon to have sidecar
        1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar
        1989 TransAlp/ no sidecar yet, but I know where there's an Equalean!

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

I'd like to verify two things:
          1. File and Print sharing is enabled on the Win98 machine.
          2. The workgroup is the same for all machines (XP defaults to mshome I believe)
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I'd like to verify two things:
            1. File and Print sharing is enabled on the Win98 machine
            It is.

2. The workgroup is the same for all machines (XP defaults to mshome I believe)
            It does default to that, but that's not what they are both set to.
            Brian

Comment

Ouch!!!!
              "I'm working on it, but you don't want to be too "Open". When I first changed over from dial-up to cable, I could see and access eleven other computers on the lake. Needless to say, I contacted those that I knew and suggested security measures."

Mike you said that 11 folks were accessable to your computer. We have just installed cable access and don't really want to be seen by everyone else on our lake who has the cable access. Is there a way to check and see if we are that open?

dave
              82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
              Riding with the Son

Comment

Hey there Dave,

If you aren't using a virus scanner, they are now bundling both anti-virus with firewall protection in both McAfee and I believe Norton as well. Or you can get a free Fire Wall from Zone Alarm. I went to cable access about a year ago, and got my Zone Alarm first thing, saw many pings coming in, some from the actual cable system itself ensuring that you aren't running an FTP site which is usually against their terms of service/use contracts, but also a lot of hits from scanning programs looking for open computers. I'm sure that's what Mike meant by "proper security measures" along with security settings for IE/OE and getting the latest security updates from MS for same if you run those programs!!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your response and suggestions. Finally found where MicroSoft hid Net BEUI in the XP cd. Apparently, it's not supported any longer but it is still on the disk for older networks. Computers see each other now and can send/recieve files with no problems now.
                  Brian

Comment

[
                    Mike you said that 11 folks were accessable to your computer. We have just installed cable access and don't really want to be seen by everyone else on our lake who has the cable access. Is there a way to check and see if we are that open?

dave [/B][/QUOTE]

TopCat is right. I use ZoneAlarm, not only because it's free, but it is fairly easy to understand. I also use a D-Link router both to allow all my computers to get to the internet and to block incoming signals with DHCP.
                    Sidecarmikel
                    aka Mike Laubenstein
                    Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

TC and Mike,

I am using Nortons and have it updated just about everytime that I fire up my computer. Is there something else that I need to do with Norton to be protected? For example is there something that I should turn on or off in the program to make it a firewall or is it an automatic feature?

dave
                      82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
                      Riding with the Son

Comment

Originally posted by deo
                        TC and Mike,

I am using Nortons and have it updated just about everytime that I fire up my computer. Is there something else that I need to do with Norton to be protected? For example is there something that I should turn on or off in the program to make it a firewall or is it an automatic feature?

dave
                        The firewall is a part of Norton Systemworks or Norton Internet security, which also include the antivirus software. If you purchased Norton Antivirus by itself, it won't be included.
                        In answer to an earlier question about testing your system;
                        The best way to tell if someone can see you is to go to https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and click on "Test my Shields". After that is done click "Probe my Ports". Steve Gibson is pretty full of himself, but he does a good job of explaining things and making recommending fixes.
                        Sidecarmikel
                        aka Mike Laubenstein
                        Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

Comment

Mike,

This is what I got back from Gibson on the probes etc.

I don't exist so I guess that there is a firewall. Huh?

""Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
                          One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
                          Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
                          All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet. ""

thanks for your help on this. I feel a whole lot more comfortable.

dave olson (working in full stealth mode, he he he!) Is that like having your shields up running at warp 8?
                          82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
                          Riding with the Son

Comment

My Two Cents on Firewalls...
                            I prefer a hardware firewall. I use a Linksys 4 port router/firewall that I bought when I got Cable Internet. My uncle uses Black Ice for his software firewall. His gives reports on who is trying to scan his ports, mine just denies that there is an internet address.
                            Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jgalle
                              [B]My Two Cents on Firewalls...
                              I prefer a hardware firewall. I use a Linksys 4 port router/firewall that I bought when I got Cable Internet.

The Linksys firewall is great, but can be broken into. It doesn't really hide your computer as much as it makes all computers behind it look like one big box. If you've ever tried a file sharing site like Napster or KaZaa, you'll find that the linksys (or dlink, or motorola or cheaper cisco) boxes will allow people to download from any shared directory on your PC. A program like ZoneAlarm or BlackIce will ask you first if you want to allow access. As long as ZA is free, I prefer using both it and the dhcp server built in to the linksys box. Just my $.02 of course.
                              Sidecarmikel
                              aka Mike Laubenstein
                              Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

Comment

Everybody keeps saying ZoneAlarm is free, I have not tried it, but it does mesh with my linksys box, so I may have to give it a try. Never looked into it. But since everybody else seems pleased, why not?
                                Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

Working...
                                X