Network question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network question

I recently upgraded my cheap 10baseT hub to a D-link 10/100 router and I can't seem to get my computers to see each other. I can get thru to the internet OK, so I know the connection is good. One computer is running XP, the other is running Win98SE. I can't even ping either computer from the other. Work groups are the same, subnet mask is the same....

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Really starting to get an attitude about this.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Yuck, networks!

Hey there Brian,
    I don't do networks, so I'm not sure about this, but I do remember when I was using a data cable between two computers to try to transfer files from one to the other, I remember having to go into Network Neighborhood, properties, then FILE SHARING and tell it what drives, files to allow to share before I could see the one computer with the other. Also, you'll need to know the names for each computer, again found in the Network Neighborhood properties, so that it they know what computer to look for on the network, something like that!?!?! There was also another program I had to run, Direct Cable Connection, but not sure how this would apply using a NIC instead of a Data cable and the parallel ports!?!?

I saw a few other choices when I rightclicked the ICON as well, like FIND Computer, and Map Network Drive. But like I said, I don't deal with Networks, so not sure how much if any this info will help...or not.... hopefully a network guru will read and reply soon as well, good luck!!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C. you're remembering more then you realize. I've done the drive sharing, file and print sharing, same workgroup name, different computer name, over and over again... Based on my very limited experience with networks, I have set up 3 or 4, this "should" work.
      Brian

Comment

Brian,
        First of all, I am not a network guru. I just happened to have to create a network for my house cause I was too cheap, broke to have someone else do it. So for what it is worth here is what I remembered doing.

I just set up a network like you discribed here at our house and we have 3 PCs and one Mac running on the same network. Two PC machines are using 98 and one ME. I found that when we put the cards in and then tried to identify the machine that there was a routing or computer number we had to install that gave the computer a unique id. It had to do with the ethernet card id.

Also I just looked through my system settings and reviewed what I saw under device managers - network settings and saw that we had to have the card type set as well. Netbui does not talk to the ethernet PCI.
        A network guy I talked to said that if you delete the settings for the network card that you have shut down and reboot it should do an automatic reinstall of the card. Then each machine will then tell you which driver it has and then match the drivers and they should talk to each other. This stuff worked for me so for what it is worth. It is my contribution to the greater good.

dave olson
        82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
        Riding with the Son

Comment

Network question

I also have a home network, but I got carried away. Pentium 4 desktop and laptop on XP, 2 Win 98 laptops on wireless and a Win 98 desktop. Then my children and grandchildren come home with their laptops and Palms and connect as well.

As much as I dislike Win98, your problem may lie with the XP machine. Do you have the Firewall enabled? If so, the pc's will not see each other. Disable it using the help menu for directions, then download something like ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com. It allows you to set things differently for inside network(Intranet) and Outside(Internet). Keep some kind of firewall in place. Without one you are a target for every probe out there. Mine records 250-300 access attempts per hour on my cable modem.

Did you set D-link router to DHCP? Make sure it is and that you did not assign ip addresses to the computers. Let DHCP do it.

If this is all OK, let me know and I'll give you other things to check.

Mike
          Sidecarmikel
          aka Mike Laubenstein
          Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS1100 soon to have sidecar
          1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar
          1989 TransAlp/ no sidecar yet, but I know where there's an Equalean!

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Thanks for the tips Mike, will have a look at them in a few days. System here consists (right now) of a P4 running XP, and an AMD Duron 900 running Win98SE. Once I get these working, I will be adding at least 2 more to it, possibly 3.

The built in XP firewall is disabled, and to avoid any conflicts, ZoneAlarm is also not running at the moment. I have used ZoneAlarm for several years now so am somewhat familiar with the various settings in it. Will be bringing it back into the picture later.

At the moment, router is set to DHCP, all configuration settings in each computer are set to automaticly detect settings. The router is passing each computer thru to the internet, and allowing traffic back in, ie email, web pages, etc. The computers just cannot see each other. I can ping the router from the Win98 machine, but can't ping the XP machine. I can't ping either the router or the Win98 machine from the XP. But, I can access the setup of the router from either machine.

I'm almost ready to reload the Win98 machine with XP, or even try Win2000 out. I don't think I should have to do this mind you, but desperation is starting to set in!! I am sure that MS built backwards compatiblity into their operating systems so I can't think of any logical reason for this problem.

In any event, enough of this for a few days. Will continue my bouts of frustration later on.
            Brian

Comment

I am a network GURU. That's what I get payed for, well that and to talk on here

Your router may have a built in routing/firewall protection. Many are coming with these features to help with hackers. May want to try opening an inter browser. Go to 192.168.1.1

That would be the default access to your router. There should be a password box comes up, the default password to access it is either admin, or the name of the company. Unless you allow outside ip's to ping your router, they can not access your router using this password. There is no username usually.

Once your in the config, change the password, and mess with the settings until your satisfied with everything. BTW, XP is a pain to share drives with. Best off sharing the 98, and accessing with the XP.
              Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned this before... this problem existed before I installed the router, so I don't think it is a router issue. I was using a cheap 10base hub and upgraded to the router in the hopes that it might solve the problem. Personally, I think my biggest problem is WinXP.. or Win98, depending upon which camp you're in. Either I dump the Win98, or I dump the XP. Might dump the XP and go with 2000 instead.

Thanks
                Brian

Comment

Personally, I think my biggest problem is WinXP.. or Win98, depending upon which camp you're in. Either I dump the Win98, or I dump the XP. Might dump the XP and go with 2000 instead.

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't go to 2000 unless you are certain all your programs, peripherals, and USERS are compatible. Like NT, 2000 is pretty picky about what works with it. I'm certain the problem lies with an XP setting but I would not dump XP. It has too many other advantages over 98. None of our 98 machines are here right now, but I think one will be coming home on the weekend. I'll try to duplicate the problem and get back to you. Mike (Also a Network Guru! LakeView Consulting, but I haven't been asked to do anything with 98 in quite some time))
                  Sidecarmikel
                  aka Mike Laubenstein
                  Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Just a little humor here...

WinXP is Windows 2000 Version 5 or 6.

Basically he is already running 2000, just the security is tighter and it has a compatability mode that lets a program think it is running in another operating system to make it work.
                    Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

Originally posted by jgalle

Basically he is already running 2000, just the security is tighter and it has a compatability mode that lets a program think it is running in another operating system to make it work.
                      I know, but it is much more user friendly and tends to work with a lot of products that 2000 fights.
                      Sidecarmikel
                      aka Mike Laubenstein
                      Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

Comment

Originally posted by jgalle

Nah, WinXP is NT6, 2000 is NT5

You may want to try statically assigning IP info and make sure you have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled. If all of your machines are on the inside of the router/firewall, it is most likely that they are only being switched and not being affected whatsover by the firewall part of the router.

But, before you go assigning static ips, see if you can make sure Netbios is enabled while using DHCP - I don't remember if this is possible other than doing it in the DHCP server.
                        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Brian -

I wish I had a solution for you, but I just want to commiserate. I've had the same problem for quite some time, and still no solution. I'm pretty sure it's an XP thing. I've networked 98 and 98ME with no problem, including sharing drives, but I can't get XP to share. Please let me know if you come up with a solution. Thanks.
                          Roger Tucker
                          Memphis, TN

Comment

Also, dont forget to edit the Local Secutiy Policy or once you finally do get the PC's to "see" each other, you will only get Access Denied msg's trying to access the WinXP PC from Win98
                            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Originally posted by Snow
                              Also, dont forget to edit the Local Secutiy Policy or once you finally do get the PC's to "see" each other, you will only get Access Denied msg's trying to access the WinXP PC from Win98
                              Snow just answered it!
                              Although I've had a network for years, we don't share files between machines. WE just do it for printing, email, and internet access. I just discovered that my XP machines couldn't see each other. I created a common user (same name, same password, same rights) on each machine. Now everything works. When I get my hands on one of the 98 machines I will verify this. Duh! (Us network types are supposed to know this stuff).
                              Sidecarmikel
                              aka Mike Laubenstein
                              Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

Comment

Working...
                              X