No announcement yet.

New York State Meet and Greet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard tell that there's a great ride to be had thru the Ilion gorge near Utica. Just above Cooperstown area
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

Actually, that sounds like fun! I know there are some killer roads around Utica, like 12 south toward rt 20. I'd love more input from anyone interested on a ride. If Utica outskirts is the target area, then possibly a Fonda break and steak at the T/A, maybe they'll be racing on the dirt track there? Again, you guys from Central, throw some ideas my way and we'll make it happen
      "Rat Rod"
      79 XS1100 Standard
      87 VMAX cans
      Cheap Japanese Tires
      Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
      Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
      Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Two of the NY crew will not be there. Bruce and I will be in GA at the annual Vintage Japanese rally at TWO. Sept 28 and 29. We will be gone two full weeks. You guys enjoy!
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Count me in.

Comment

If the weather is ok it would be a nice ride from here.
            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Just trying to understand the planned meeting point and ride options. I live in Syracuse near the Fairgrounds but also lived in Ilion so am aware of the gorge run people are mentioning (On a map this is Rt. 51 heading south (Otsego St.)
              It's a nice long winding road.

There are also many nice rides in the SW Syracuse area with a good share of gorge/twisties. You can Google Map these:
              -13 Curves (Cedarvale Rd south of Rt 175 (SW of the city)
              - Marcellus Gorge (Rt 174 between Marcellus and Camillus)
              - and many other nice roads that run parallel to the finger lakes.

For me, the Sept 29th is my best bet due to other commitments. Even if I can't make a full ride of it, I'd love to meet up with some of you and exchange horror stories and tech tips/advice somewhere nearby. The Fairgrounds is a great meeting place.

I hope someone comes equipped with a GPS unit.
              Past Rides:
              1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
              1979 XS650 Special
              1978 Honda CB750K
              Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Anyone know what accommodations are like in Utica?
                1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Accommodations are unknown to me, but will be easy enough to figure out.

I will only be able to participate for one day, the 29th, but if you all want to make a two day run out of it, I'd be happy to grind out some details and map the area for you.
                  "Rat Rod"
                  79 XS1100 Standard
                  87 VMAX cans
                  Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

All depends what you're looking for. Several spots in North Utica (on North Genesee St):Red Roof, couple of local chains with inexpensive rates and many restaurants in eyeball distance of there.

I too will return home on the end of whatever happens on the 29th.
                    Past Rides:
                    1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                    1979 XS650 Special
                    1978 Honda CB750K

Comment

*bump*
                      "Rat Rod"
                      79 XS1100 Standard
                      87 VMAX cans
                      Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

Well, I am in NY for the next few years. I don't know if that makes me part of the crew because my bike is in TX. I am not allowed to ride "officially" YOu know what that means. I would like to meet some of you. NYC is the place to be.

Dang I miss ridin.
                        I won't make this one but If plans go right, I may be joining up later in the year on the weekends. Most likely next year.
                        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Sooooo are the plans firming up?
                          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

FIrm as they get, I spose...

As solid as things are, we will meet at the parking lot of the NYS fairgrounds in Syracuse, and go wherever from there. Those who wish to stay over night will, I imagine, be doing so in Utica or up the road in Fultonville. Definitely some awesome riding roads around that area.

Evidently, the weather is getting nippier by the day. Hopefully we will have a nice weekend. Pack your long johns and all-weather gear. If things are too crappy for a ride, then perhaps it will be a meal at the nearest rest. and some good story telling. I´m depending on the locals around Syracuse and Utica to take charge and show us their favorite routes. Bring cameras, tips, tricks, and the willingness to get your hands dirty if you can help a fellow Xsessive make it run better.

Summary:

10am Meet-up. Stragglers will find us still there at 10:30. My cell number is available, just PM me and I would be happy to share it with you. I dont care where we ride. Just happy to be meeting a few fellow enthusiasts. I will have a map handy. This really is a seat-of-the-pants kind of thing, so youĺl hafta show up to see where it leads!!

Hope to see you there!!

I will post directions to the exact meeting spot in the near future. Between work, college, and the kids, I find i have precious little time to get on and post anymore...
                            "Rat Rod"
                            79 XS1100 Standard
                            87 VMAX cans
                            Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

Sounds good. I plan to get there for the meet and greet, but am not sure how much of a ride I'll be able to go on (SWMBO and home landcaping commitments). I'd love to just be able to exhange tips and stories and be able to hear each others' bikes to see if noises I hear are common and, if not, are they anything to worry about. I also like to see how people have accessoirzed their rides. We have to be creative with these old gilrs.

As noted, is is getting nippy here in the AMs. It was in the upper 40's this morning but is gorgeouse right now (about 70) and said to be much the same this week, so keep your fingers crossed for nice weather, but pack the warm stuff just in case. For those wanting to come the night before, there is a Best Western just west of the fairgrounds and State Fair Blvd. that's only about 4 yrs. old.

How many are likely to be in on this meet and for what degree of involvement? Also where are you riding in from? I'm about 6 miles from the Fairgrounds. Would love to spend a few hours, but not likely be able to take a ride of more than a few hours.

Ok all your post readers, time to speak up!
                              Past Rides:
                              1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                              1979 XS650 Special
                              1978 Honda CB750K

Comment

State Fairgrounds Info

Here is the official link to the NYS Fairgrounds. It contains maps and local information for out of towners.
                                Empire Expo Center (NYS Fairgrounds)

FYI, there are to be 4 events happening there on 29th so I'm not sure how the gage the parking lot/traffic, but it should be OK.
                                -Autumn in New York Horse Show (27-30)
                                -NYS Travel & Recreational Vehicle Show (28-30)
                                -NY Rabbit & Cavy Breeders Assoc. Show (29-30)
                                -Empire State Open Meat Goat Show (29-30) (Have to see this one!!)

Later...
                                Past Rides:
                                1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                                1979 XS650 Special
                                1978 Honda CB750K

Comment

Working...
                                X