No announcement yet.

EBC Prolite Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link Alan. i will check it out more closely. As far as brake pads go I will use whatever EBC recommends so they will be an EBC product. Myself I like organic pads because they stop well enough and do not make nearly as much noise as any type that are impregnated with metal.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

brake part source

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-chass...ategory_id=1.2

The link will get you to rotors @ $130 ea and all but calipers for Specials.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

From TC "The XS11 wasn't designed for use with Sintered pads, they are more for racing type applications! The metal(copper/bronze) impregnation of the pad material requires more HEAT to activate them, and so they do work better when they are heated up like what would be experienced in racing applications. But for the XS11's system, the Non-sintered pads provide the quicker grip action wanted by most of us not riding like we are racing. Also the sintered pad can cause more wear on the rotors vs. the OEM non-sintered style, pads are much cheaper to replace than the rotors..."

Just street sintered metal pads, they work well when dead cold, no use for hard-out race compound stuff, the image of metal sintered brake pads seems to be of harsh metal grinding and massive abrasion friction and wear, grinding your discs down before your eyes - it's unbelievable anyone would even consider using such abrasive damaging metal pads...but not true, really the street sintered pads are smooth quiet good grab, nothin' wrong with them, your average road bike, you'd take decades to wear the disc a measly 1mm and the good thing is the sintered type last for ages compared to the soft organic pads, but I do know 95% of owners will stick with the usual kevlar/organic pads as they're cheaper and recommended

Comment

Re: brake part source

Originally posted by jetmechmarty
          http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-chass...ategory_id=1.2

The link will get you to rotors @ $130 ea and all but calipers for Specials.
          Thanks for the link. I did not know that Mikes XS was carrying this sort of stuff. I should check out his site more closely. Total price is very similar when taking into account the spacers that I "might" need plus shipping. It is however a good source for others what don't have to do the dollar conversion and international shipping.
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I've been using these EBC rotors for some time Rob. Tho the steel braided lines are probably a more noticable improvement, combined with these rotors the bike seems to stop twice as fast.
            It's a great upgrade for both looks and performance.
            1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
            1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
            1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
            2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
            2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

That's what I am hoping for. All these large displacement heavy bikes from the late 70s and early 80s were lacking in the brakes dept. I have had more "close calls" that were related to the lack of stopping power then any other.
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Come to think of it, since my bike is a special, and there is only one bolt holding each front caliper on, I remove them to change a tire and found that the bolts were bent!!!
                So maybe my brakes are a little stronger than they should be
                1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Originally posted by dragxs11
                  I've been using these EBC rotors for some time Rob. Tho the steel braided lines are probably a more noticable improvement, combined with these rotors the bike seems to stop twice as fast.
                  It's a great upgrade for both looks and performance.

The main improvement with the the light rotors will be a big reduction in unsprung weight. Should feel much more stable in bumpy corners.

Steve
                  80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                  73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                  62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                  Norton Electra - future restore
                  CZ 400 MX'er
                  68 Ducati Scrambler
                  RC Planes and Helis

Comment

That may be true. Since I installed progressive springs at the same time, I could never really tell what did what. But my bike handles and rides like a whole different machine compared to the others I've worked on. Even before I installed the fork brace. With all that, I can pick a line in the curves and stick to it. Stock, it was hard to stay within 12 inches of where I wanted to be.
                    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Working...
                    X