EBC Prolite Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBC Prolite Rotors

My EBC Pro-Lite rotors for the hop up bike arrived early this week and WOW are they ever lite compared to the stock units. Anyone using them? Anything I need to know about them, good or bad before I put them into service.
    Rob

KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Hey Rob,

I would just take some acetone or some degreaser to remove any machining film that might be on the actual friction surface. I'm sure you've got new pads to go with them! I would think you might want to avoid full hard braking for a while IF YOU CAN!
    BTW how much did they set you back?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I got all three for 557.63 Canadian including shipping. YES new EBC pads will go into stock honed and rebuilt calipers. I figure they know what pads to use on their rotors. I can't get over how lite they are.
      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Holy Moly!! They do look amazing though. Very Nice!

Originally posted by 79XS11F
        I got all three for 557.63 Canadian including shipping.
        Rob
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

In case anyone cannot afford that much for a set of three rotors,I have two complete sets of three currently. 81 special slotted type,78e non slotted type. Still have some good life left on them. Price of $90.00 US (set of three) includes shipping in continental USA by priority mail. andreas. PM please.

Comment

Originally posted by JWSanders
            Holy Moly!! They do look amazing though. Very Nice!

They are in deed pricey but I WANT BRAKES THAT WORK on my hop up bike. I also have full SS lines for that bike :-)
            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I don't know.... they look like they need some more holes to me
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hi Guys,

Those discs do look very good; I am impressed!

However, the cost is about the same (For three!) as My front-end swap was. I got lightweight discs, heavier forks and four-pot calipers.

I got real lucky; I was in the right place at the right time, got a deal on the forks, and had the abilities to fit it all together.

CLICK!!

Nice discs!

AlanB
                If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

My pic is a bit sub-standard, but I did a similar disc swap, scored an 80's XJ900 18" rim and some cheap XJ900 discs, they're 270mm compared to the XS's 295mm so of course won't match the XS11 calipers, I used modern 4-pot calipers instead, they're ferociously strong even with smaller discs, only finger tip operation - any sort of muscle and you'll be over the handlebars. The XS discs truly are monsters, 7mm thick, heavy and beefy enough to slay a brontosaurus, modern motorbike discs are only about 5mm thick by comparison, but I notice there's no big difference between light and heavy on an XS1100, the steering at speed a bit lighter maybe, the steel line mod is a good improvement on stock XS11 brakes

Comment

Thanks for input guys . I wanted the full floaters so they will work as expected every time. by the time I have my hop up bike completed it will be FAST, as fast as i can make her, but FAST is no good if you can't stop her. I do figure I will have to use some care during the rotor break in to get a feel of the new found braking power or run the risk of getting into trouble. I don't think the weight difference is enough to feel in the seat of ones pants but it must be helpful.
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB
                      Hi Guys,

Those discs do look very good; I am impressed!

However, the cost is about the same (For three!) as My front-end swap was. I got lightweight discs, heavier forks and four-pot calipers.

I got real lucky; I was in the right place at the right time, got a deal on the forks, and had the abilities to fit it all together.

CLICK!!

Nice discs!

AlanB
                      What front end did you switch out to and how much trouble was it to mount and get working Alan?
                      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

For breaking in new pads, I only use bronze or copper sintered pads, I ride with the brakes squeezed on at 30mph, it seems to fuse the bronze into the stainless steel, the discs can get hot enough to quickly turn blue if not careful, but I try to get the discs a light bluish yellowy gold tint, then let them cool, the pads bite well then but it's likely some experts will tell you otherwise - glazed pads etc.. There's likely an 'official' procedure to bed in the pads, and it's probably sensible to follow the rule book...but that's only if you've read it - unlike me

Comment

Hey Patrick,

I'm far from being any expert. The XS11 wasn't designed for use with Sintered pads, they are more for racing type applications! The metal(copper/bronze) impregnation of the pad material requires more HEAT to activate them, and so they do work better when they are heated up like what would be experienced in racing applications. But for the XS11's system, the Non-sintered pads provide the quicker grip action wanted by most of us not riding like we are racing. Also the sintered pad can cause more wear on the rotors vs. the OEM non-sintered style, pads are much cheaper to replace than the rotors...as seen by this recent example! Glad you like what you have and that they work for your style of riding, and your brake system!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah the kevlar pads don't have the bite of sintered, the wear aspect isn't much of an issue, if an issue at all, on street/road riding the brakes are hardly even used, the sintered type pads are only for S.S. discs not cast iron, dragging pads are gonna cause wear, always seems to afflict the rear brake on motorbikes, I use kevlar pads on the rear

Comment

Hi SF,

Click on the link in the previous post and it should take you to a post on the UK site; Most of the info is in there.

If you need more, then ask again!

AlanB
                              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
                              X