Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFO's: weather balloons, or mass hysteria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Again...

Continued...

There are other factors that make the gathering of the animals less of a problem than is commonly supposed. The world before the flood may have consisted of just a single continent, eliminating the need for animals to cross oceans. The postulated water vapor canopy covering the earth at that time caused the whole earth to have a warm, tropical-like climate. In such a setting the different types of animals would have been more evenly distributed over the land, with each type capable of living almost anywhere. These two factors (single continent plus one climate) meant that all of the animals for the ark may have lived fairly close by.
    Also, animals did not originally fear humans and only ate plants. This would have made them much easier to deal with. Both the fear of man and the allowance for animals to eat meat were introduced by God after the flood (Gen 9:2-3). Some animals may have already started to eat meat prior to the flood, as the scriptures seem to indicate that the animals had also become violent (Gen 6:11) and that God was "grieved that I have made them [men and animals]" (Gen 6:7).
    Gen 6:20 states the God brought the animals to the ark. Gish speculates that the migration instinct found in some animals may have been introduced as this time. Likewise, the animals would have been easier to deal with in the ark if many of them were in a state of hibernation. Both migration and hibernation are traits used to escape difficult living conditions, which did not exist before the flood.

Building a large wooden vessel: The ark is larger than any known wooden vessel, but ancient Greeks built a ship carrying 4,000 cargo tons (Alexandris), and boats carrying 450 tons were in widespread use in 1,500 BC. The key point to remember is that the ark was not really a "boat" - it was a simple structure that merely needed to float.
    Care of the animals by eight people: With the use of labor saving enclosures for feeding and waste management, Woodmorappe determines that "very many different combinations of [care] procedures would have satisfied the daily 7.2 second/animal/caretaker maximal time allotment" (p. 81), allowing 8 people to care for 16,000 animals.
    Animals that eat fresh or live food, or have special diets: Noah could certainly have brought extra animals to provide some live food, and some fresh food could have been grown hydroponically (rooted in liquid nutrient solution). Many of the few animals that normally eat a specialized diet are capable of surviving on other, more common, foods in captivity.
    Heat buildup and illumination in the ark: Woodmorappe shows that the presence of the slot "window" is sufficient to remove heat and provide illumination (see Chapter 5).
    Wouldn't the ark have capsized in the violent waters of the flood? First, the most violent waters occur near land, and the ark was likely in deep ocean areas. Second, stability tests performed on models of the ark show that it was capable of withstanding waves up to 200 feet high, and would tend to right itself even when tilted close to 90 degrees. Also, the 6:1 ark length:width ratio is known to modern shipbuilders as a stable configuration.

The condition of the earth following the flood was much different from what it was prior to the flood. Some creationists believe that the cataclysmic events occurring at the time of the flood included the breakup of the single landmass of antediluvian times into the continents as we now know them. This theory is known as "catastrophic plate tectonics", and is basically a speeded up version of standard plate tectonics theory. The flood events would seem to provide a suitable, large-scale cause for the breakup. One of the main arguments for plate tectonics is that the existing continents seem to fit well when placed together. The main argument against plate tectonics is that we don't know what mechanism might make it work. The collision of the plates would lead to the formation of mountain ranges, probably much higher than those existing before the flood.
    The removal of the protective vapor canopy above the earth would lead to the start of the hydrologic water cycle, the introduction of seasons, and climate differences between the equator and polar regions. The warmed ocean (friction from the plate movements) in conjunction with more barren land areas would lead to an ice age occurring. One result of all these changes is that some types of animals (including the dinosaurs and many others) would not have the genetic potential to adjust and became extinct.
    Even the nature of the animals was now deemed to be different by God, as they were now ordained to have a fear of man and to eat meat (Gen 9:2-3).

Both plant and animal life needed to recover after the flood. Much of this life was not on the ark, so how was it able to survive?
    Most of the fish died in the flood, but some fresh, brackish, and salt water individuals would survive in various pockets/gradients of water having appropriate salinity. It is a mistake to think that the flood waters would be fully mixed to a homogenous salinity state. It is also true that most fish can withstand some change in the salinity level of their water.
    The waters of the flood were covered with large floating mats of vegetation stripped from the land surfaces. Some plants would continue to grow on these thick mats. Some birds, and maybe some insects, amphibians and other small creatures may also have survived on these mats. Some of the mats would wash up onto the new shorelines to reseed the land, but most were buried to form the large coal and oil deposits we now find. The buried seeds of many plants would also become exposed during the erosion events at the end of the flood period (the erosion at the end of the flood was significant, and caused large geologic structures such as the Grand Canyon to form).
    What did the animals from the ark eat after they left the ark? It is interesting to note that God kept them on board for three months following the first appearance of dry land. This would give time for some plants to grow. Other food sources would have included seaweed, fungi, carrion (the meat of dead animals exposed by erosion), fish, insects, earthworms, and rodents.

The animals on the ark would repopulate the world by migrating away from the ark landing site. The mountainous area around the ark would be ideal to encourage successful repopulation, as a mountainous area contains varying ecological zones and would tend to fragment the growing population into sub-populations (different "herds") giving the animal type multiple chances to avoid extinction. Inbreeding within these sub-populations would also cause differing traits to become dominant within each sub-population, leading to the formation of what we now call different "species" ("rapid speciation"). It is important to remember that speciation (the formation of a new species) is NOT evolution, as no new complexity is being introduced, only the rearranging of existing genetic information. We must also remember that it was God who made the final selection of the animals for the ark. This was necessary as only God could know the genetic makeup of the individual animals, and it was important to choose animals having the widest range of genetic potential. But even if this were not the case, it is true that most of the potential variation of any type of animals will be found in every male/female pair. There are modern day examples of a pair or small number of individuals successfully starting a repopulation effort that eventually leads to a diversified population exhibiting much variation (such as the rock pigeon introduced into the USA from England).

Remember the following to have an accurate picture of Noah's ark:
    Only animals from each genus, not every species, were taken.
    Noah and his sons (and their wives) were smart people.
    They had a lot of time to plan and prepare. This allowed for the creation of a menagerie, the design of enclosures to be labor-saving, and the choice of foodstuffs to be compact. They may have hired people to do some of this work.
    The ark was not a boat. It was a housing that only needed to FLOAT for one year.
    The ark was not a zoo. The animals only needed to SURVIVE for one year.
    God definitely helped, but we should not think that continuous miracles were necessary for the completion of a successful voyage. God normally operates through natural means.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Seems rather well thought out and logical, in it's way.
    Are these the current held beliefs of Creationists concerning evolution and other matters... or must I look further?
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Older than Methuselah

Hi Prom,
      so Noah was 600 years old eh? Azzulno, those ancient wandering tribes counted folks ages by the Lunar Month. This means Noah was 46 when he started building the Ark and Methuselah made it all the way to 69. Very respectable ages for those times in a culture that hadn't invented soap yet.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ya know, Fred, this is a very hard thread for me to continue in.
        I usually try to shy away from debates like this.
        Oh, I'll question and argue in discussions over which way a progressively wound valve spring should go in, or why cam chain adjustment is done at the "C"... but that is only to either confirm my view, or enhance my knowledge if it's lacking. Either way, I get a benefit and hopefully others reading might profit by it, as well.
        Argueing science against a faith based belief system carries little benefit and can actually do harm, if only to reputations. (usually mine)
        I'm not questioning someone's logic, mocking them for getting a "D" in H.S. science class, nor insulting anyone's intellegence, what it appears that I'm doing is belittling someone's personal religious beliefs. That makes me an ass.
        But personal beliefs are just that. Personal.
        Science, or how things work, is based on logic... fact "A" plus fact "B" gives fact "C". One looks for facts, emperical evidence and testing, draws conclusions, etc. One looks for more knowledge to enhance what one already has to give a better understanding.
        One doesn't follow ancient beliefs, customs or superstitions to answer current questions of technology and such.
        Though, it would make life simpler.
        Next time a member posts about an electrical problem, I'll just tell him to hang a "Gremlin Bell" on his bike and all will be wonderful again.
        (But remember, you can't buy the Gremlin Bell yourself, someone else must give it to you or it won't work)
        Gremlin Bells.... Bah!

To paraphrase Zuzu Bailey concerning evolution...
        "Every time a bell rings, an Archaeopteryx gets it's wings."

Comment

Religeon or science..

It matters not, as we are but a mere spark in geografic time. There is no doubt that we have destroyed the planet for life to continue and we will be gone in a flash.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

“Since we all know that A.C.E. stands for American Classic Edition and that, my friends, is a Honda. As this is a site primarily devoted to Yamaha enthusiasts I deem it inadmissible as a quotable article in this discussion.”

Thank your Bud for injecting a bit of humor into what has become an entirely too serious thread, and reminding us that this after all, a bike web site.

Damn Prom, you have entirely too much time on your hands: far more than I right now. I’m moving and may have to break down my computer any day now. Long story made short, you seem to insist on thinking I defend a literal, fundamentalist, interpretation of Geneses, which I do not. Such a belief isn’t necessary to believe that there is a Creator. But I’m going to have to let it hang right there, because I simply don’t have the time or focus for metaphysics right now.

This is a really stressful move. I having to move into a much smaller place and have to dispose of, or store years of accumulated stuff. If the cost of storage, and moving were taken into account, I have some of the most valuable motorcycle magazines, non-fiction books, and family memorabilia in the world!
            E.Liberty
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

"As is the way of things..."

we will be gone in a flash.
              Or a flush, as might be more befitting.

Friend E. Liberty,
              Oh, I can understand your stress and time constraints, and truly feel for you.
              Am currently trying to repair and paint the house, build a deck, level and landscape... all before the rains begin in a month or so.
              I am neither a house painter, constructionist, nor gardener guy, so you can imagine the mental/physical stumbling blocks I have.
              My two teenage sons have developed the talent of invisability, almost forcing me to hang around Home Despot at 6:00AM and grab me a few illegal aliens for labor.
              Time on my hands?
              Yes, I suppose I have plenty, just seem to use it unproductively at times, but what is time for, other than to squander it friviously?
              Speaking of illegal aliens...
              Really, I was more interested in your views of aliens as mankind coming back to visit. Time travel and such. I had wished to learn more of your beliefs on that subject.
              This evolution/ creationist thing was just another tangent that I became side-tracked upon.
              you seem to insist on thinking I defend a literal, fundamentalist, interpretation of Geneses, which I do not.
              No... I can only probe and ask based upon what little information had been provided concerning your views. I know not the limit, nor span, of your beliefs. For debate, I always must assume the extreme, until I'm corrected.
              Finish your move... focus on what you need to get done.
              We can play later.

Comment

science / religion

When it was suggested that the Earth orbits the Sun and was not the center of the universe it went against the science that "knew" otherwise and they were branded heretics<religion>.
                Today the scientists can't even agree on if Pluto is a planet or not.
                Fact A plus fact B dosen't always lead to fact C. Harley is an American bike(A), you ride a Japanese bike(B), you're anti-American(C). Not always right.
                The universe is what "you" make it. It is "yours". When I die, the universe ceases to exist. Some believe in an Afterlife, was there a Prelife? If we are reincarnated then why are there billions more people? Some say 1+1=2, I (can) say 1+1=11.
                As far as life on other planets, with as many planets as there are chances are good that there's somethine alive besides what's on this planet. But is dosen't have to be so. What is 'life' anyway? Awareness? Existance? Able to reproduce? What I consider alive someone else may not.
                For want of a better term I am agnostic (do you have to believe to accept a label?). My philosophy is 'I don't know'. If someone else has faith that there is a God that created everything I have no problem with that, they may be right. If someone has faith that we came from a branch of primates, I have no problem with that, thaey may be right. If someone has faith that we migrated from another planet, they may be right. I don't know. But I can see the validity of those and other points of view and if someone thinks I'm stupid or evil for not thinking like they do then they have the problem, not me.
                I think that this can be an informative thread if an open mind is kept. That's the hard part for some people. Say nothing personal and take nothing personal and all will be fine.

I'm out. Time to go work on the workshop.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Got a reprieve: computer won’t go down for a few days yet.
                  “When it was suggested that the Earth orbits the Sun and was not the center of the universe it went against the science that "knew" otherwise and they were branded heretics…” Pat

Well Pat in a way the earth is the center of the universe. If the universe is infinite, then it has no borders and therefore no center except for whatever seat of consciousness is observing it. I’ve tried to explain this to my rather self-possessed daughter from the time she was 13: “yes dear, you are the center of the Universe, but so am I and so is everyone else!”
                  We think very much alike. I am neither an atheist, agnostic, nor True Believer in either religion or science. I am a freethinker in the tradition of many of our Founding Fathers. I am a heretic, and an infidel, but like the “Friends of Bill” say, I believe in “a higher power.”

“Really, I was more interested in your views of aliens as mankind coming back to visit. Time travel and such. I had wished to learn more of your beliefs on that subject.” Prom

As I think I stated elsewhere, we have seen into the past with telescopes. After all when we look at an area of the Universe thousands of light years away we are seeing light that was emitted eons ago, yes? Ergo, it is theoretically possible to travel back in time by traveling back to that “place” where history happened. One cannot travel into the future, because the future hasn’t happened yet. Some have speculated that Extra Terrestrials (ET’s) are actually us, in the distant future who are coming back to visit and observe. But of course they cannot make contact because to do so would change history!
                  “The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.” Oh yeah? What if you put two points on a piece of paper and drew a straight line between them: now take the piece of paper and fold it so that the two points are on top of each other!

Being a Darwin, I have always had an interest in science, and it was my favorite subject in school: as long as it was theoretical and didn’t get too much into math, which was my least favorite subject. But the subject of scientific anomalies has also fascinated me. Charles Fort was a strange man who had a hobby of clipping news paper articles of interesting events such as spontaneous human combustion, ( the first writer to bring it to our attention,) and mysterious human disappearances. He reported that in the late 1800’s London was invaded by millions of ladybugs that flew over the English Channel from France. The problem was that these bugs were a previously unknown sub species, and there were no reports of a problem of a prior abundance of ladybugs anywhere in France. Well, anyway, he wrote four books: "Lo!," "Wild Talents," "Book of the Damned" and I forget the other one. He was the father of the “fact is stranger than fiction” genre.
                  I just love reading about scientific anomalies, like evidence of human habitation in South America that predates accepted anthropological “knowledge.”
                  “Scientist” in the Victorian era were saying the Patent office should be shut down because every thing had been discovered. Right. And humans are responsible for global warming. And a hundred monkeys on typewriters will, if given enough time, create… you name it.
                  ‘Nite folks!
                  Edgar Darwin
                  AKA E.Liberty
                  Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                  I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
                  X