New To The Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To The Forum

Hi gang! This is my first posting, though I've been cruising this site for years. I've recently become active on a couple of boating websites & figured I might as well get with it here too...
    I've had an '79 XS1100SF for about 12 years, (traded the original owner a beat-up '68 el Camino for it), and it goes without saying that I really dig the bike!
    I'm 48, been riding since I was 10 and have a stable of dirt bikes, 3 Honda 90's, a KDX200 & 2 YZ250's, plus the XS. My wife, who rides one of the 250's, doesn't think the screen name XSive Dave goes quite far enough...
    My XS1100SF t-shirt is kinda faded, but the XS coffee cup is still nice & bright! Got those about 5 years ago here...

You'll be hearing more outta me,

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!

Dave

Welcome to the gang (officially) Dave.
    Glad you decided to come out of the world of lurking and let us know your out there. Since you've been riding XS' awhile, I'm sure you will have allot of good info and ideas to add to our many rants and raves.

Ride safe.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Welcome to the group.

Boating websites huh?

Seen this one: http://cuagain.manilasites.com ? (mine)
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Xsively dressed

Good - I'm not the only one with an XS T-shirt then. Bought mine at a bike rally here in the UK, just a drawing of the engine, but been worn and worn

Wonder why my wife thinks I'm sad
        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
        Guzzi 850
        Z1000

Comment

Welcome.I got lots of XS shirts, one from every rally! If you need more shirts just show up!
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Showing up

Hey Sixtysix - thanks for the invite to the next rally to help my poor T-shirt collection.

What angle ramp do you think I need from the south west corner of England to make it to the next one... . Probably safer than Concorde - heard that another bit of rudder fell off last week (probably a cunning plan to make it lighter and faster).

Looks like the Dutch owners club are hosting a European one this year that I'll try to make it over to.

Things looking up in the UK too as Mike Farnsworth has started an XS11 club through the VJMC. If you haven't seen it yet, have a squint at his site, which is pretty new... but growing.

www.xs1100.co.uk
            Guzzi 850
            Z1000

Comment

Just hop on a plane, I'll let you ride mine, when you get here . Distance is no longer an excuse, how bad you wanna go?
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

And Daniel, best of luck on your restoration project! I know how rewarding it is to bring something back with sweat, headscratching & $$... you'll love it! Great website too. Keep the pictures coming as you're working it into shape.

Dave

Comment

Getting there

Hey Sixty-six,

Beware of Brit XS riders bearing big grins (and a spare helmet).

Plan until last Friday was to go on holiday in Europe this year - but have been toying with how badly to save and make it Canada / USA. As I was born a bit north of New Y state and lived in southern Ontario as a kid - there is a remote possibility that I'll be over there (somewhere) in September 2003.

As I say - at the moment it's a possibility not a booked up certainty, so are there any rallies around then???
                  Guzzi 850
                  Z1000

Comment

Hey UK1.1s, where abouts in Southern Ontario did you live?
                    Brian
                    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                    remembering the same thing!

Comment

The Ontario connection

xssiveone,

Lived in Smiths Falls - err Lanark County(?) - Brockville / Perth are other places I remember nearby. All Rideau canal and forests.

We were there for about five years after starting out in Montreal in '65.

My dad got transferred back to Montreal around June '73. Quebec had just gone v.v. French Canadian (viva la Quebec - and all that era) and the family were faced with the BIG decision (not having any French and with us kids) - which ended up with us coming home to the UK. . So I still keep the dual nationality, although I got the Canadian passport first when I was old enough.

Haven't been back since - so if I can make this trip it will be quite a pilgrimage for me. I suppose I've been saying for years that I'd like to have a go at settling back in Canada - so a visit first is a good way of finding out how much I really want to and how possible it would be.

Save some maple syrup for me!
                      Guzzi 850
                      Z1000

Comment

Ok, that's eastern Ontario... about 6-7 hours from me. I'm almost as far south in Ontario as one can get... here we even go NORTH to get to the US. Hope you can make it across the big pond and hope I can get to meet you when you do.
                        Brian
                        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Geography

Brian - ooops flunked the Canadian geography test then

Boy you are south - not quite BBQ weather still this time of year I bet - more skidoo and ice hockey weather

Be good to meet a few XS owners whilst I'm over - let you know nearer the time, but looking like an early September trip

Graham
                          Guzzi 850
                          Z1000

Comment

Hi Dave,

I wanted to wave a bit north and welcome you on board. But being as i have been awol for the last 5 months,, well "hello" is probably the best i can do.

I'm in Bothell, and a couple of others are over in Lake Forest Park.

There are others around the Greater Puget Sound area too, as well as some wonderful hosts in Canada.

I got the opportunity to take a couple of days for the rally at Big Island Deuce on Vancover ISland BC, 700 miles in 2 days but well worth the trip! Hope BI 2003 will be as enjoyable.

Welcome!
                            jeff "Wags"
                            Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                            79sf rusty
                            79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Thanks for the shout out from Bothell, Jeff.

When I got my SF I owned a house right in between Juanita & Bothell, working in Woodinville. You MAY have seen me riding back & forth to work or around that area if you were there between '89 & '94 'cause I rode more than I drove! My '79 XS1100SF is red with the factory sissy bar, king/queen seat (since replaced with a Travelcade seat...) and a Plexifairing.

I figured I'd run into some NW XSives sooner or later, we'll have to try to hook up this Spring/Summer.

Happy New Year everybody & keep the rubber side down!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X