Get A Load Of This!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mathh
    a couple of weeks ago there was a complete new set minus the inner downtubes on ebay for 599 dollars.
    Over the last months I bought a new and complete set but part by part for around 500 us dollars in total.
    One thing is for sure: the quality of the stock pipes back then was way better than the stock pipes produced much later as replacement.
    what were the differences?
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I SCORED a complete set of standard model factory pipes in very good condition for just over 300 including the shipping. No rust on them to speak of but center down pipes need re-chroming to look new. And speaking of re-chroming ... what's required for prep?
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

And speaking of re-chroming ... what's required for prep?

Good question
        Can't be done over rust etc..
        Scratches would also probably show thru re-chrome so as a last step will sand/buff em out.

The MNS (langishing in "when I get around to ya land" right next to the standard exhaust) has the black exhaust. That one I'm confident will come outa restore like new.

mro

Comment

There was a real nice set of MS pipes on there a while ago that went for a bunch of cash. I won a tank and something else but the seller boned me and i never got either. he was from the Philly area.
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

And speaking of re-chroming ... what's required for prep?
            Several years ago I tried to get a set of down tubes re-chromed and could not find anybody that would work with used tubes. They claimed it is impossible to get double walled tubes completely clean. They were concerned about contaminate their chroming process/tanks.

I have done some small chroming projects and understand what they are talking about.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

surely they could block the inside of the pipes? Who wants chrom on the inside anyway? If outside is blasted and clean there should be no issue???
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I could use a set of stock pipes but these are more that 3 times what I've got into my SF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

My Dad got his replacement pipes in a warehouse in Japan in the early 90's or late 80's for a few hundred. THey are still great
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                  X