No announcement yet.

OK... What bike is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat website they have there. Definately like the cartoons they have. They take a different approach to marketing.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Closer look at tank badges... Sorry I didn't get better pics of them.

And the lever on the end of the left grip... Is that for engaging the 2 wheel drive? Something hydraulic...

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

mirror stem

Comment

I was sure the urals had a 2nd wheel engage lever somewhere
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

You know, I didn't even see the cartoons, A couple of those are kinda funny.

They do approach marketing (and motorcycling) a bit differently.

"Stand out in a crowd or disappear in the woods, it's up to you. The Gear-Up, with it's dual-wheel drive, camo styling, and other unique features is the ultimate riding experience. "Roads? I don't need no stinkin' roads!"

Yeah!

The prices are pretty reasonable, especially when you consider the sidecar. I bet they're fun. The design has been around a while, for sure.
            80 XS1100SG
            81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Dnepr and ural have different cylinder heads.
              And yes, you can put a BMW engine in.
              And yes, it is crap.
              And probbably yes, you can have fun with that.
              And yes, I will smack around the guy that said moto guzzi!

A guy I know bought one just so he could take his dog around in the side car.

The new triumphs are great... Especially the sport-tourers and the new bonnie. Cheap too (at least here).
              As far as the bonnevile goes, I would look at the kawa W650. If it only had a rev counter.... But the engine seems to be one of those designs that would last forever (shaft driven cam...?!)

Moto guzzi... well... dont get me started.

If you want an interesting looking bike... check out MZ BK 350... two stroke boxer engine.

Or if you american lot are more attached to hardley drivables, find a 1000cc Sokol. I think 1920 or 1930 something vintage.

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

No you never did!

Pro sez:- I worked at a place that sold them. Also sold Royal Enfields. Stay away from them, as well.
                Do not, for any reason, drive either of these faster than 45 mph.
                Sorry Pro,
                unless it was very recently, the place where you worked only sold Urals and Enfields. The ones made in India with the original Royal Enfield tooling. Those Enfields were made to run on the failed lamp oil that India sells as gasolene and admittedly were not all that reliable. Recently the factory got to call itself "Royal Enfield" once more and the models now imported into North America are of an acceptable standard of reliability. But they are still an ancient design long-stroke single aimed directly at the nostalgia market. Keeping up to a Suzuki Savage or a Buell Blast is about all you can expect of one. Of course, they look much nicer than either.
                Fred Hill, S'toon.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred...
                  T'was a little over three years ago.
                  Yes, Enfields from India. Had some pretty neat looking spiders come in the crates, too.(was hoping for a cobra)
                  Even the shop owner constantly told buyers to not take these over 45 mph or so.
                  "This bike is ideal for cruising country lanes on the week end".
                  He warned one guy over and over... but the customer continued to ride his Enfield on the highway up to Seattle everyday. Came into the shop on a hook... Footpegs, sidestand/center stand, and I've forgotten all what else, all rattled off somewhere on I-5.
                  Urals: I got the same warning concerning speed from the head mechanic. Russian guy named Serge.
                  I left that shop a week after going to the Ural certification training, which didn't really please the boss.
                  Heard from the mechs still working there that Urals are... well... Uhmm...
                  He still sells Enfields, but dropped the Urals soon after I left.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                    I was sure the urals had a 2nd wheel engage lever somewhere
                    Patrols and Gear-Ups has 2wd, there is a lever behind the right footpeg.

The sportsman also has 2wd, with a diff. No lever, and is no longer in production.
                    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X